Bronze guitar

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I've been busy but i wanted to share somethings with you....

Don't mind the bad playing or bad musical taste...;) (cradle of filth-shat out of hell)

So this is actually the first time my prototype comes to life. As previously mentioned, i'm not 100% sure about the proportions. Everything feels "squeezed" to me. Not enough negative space between the shapes. So i decided to go back to the drawing board and try to improve the design.

58.thumb.jpg.1d412a91327c067aaddd64d805121fb9.jpg

My design wall.

And after a long time working/designing i present a improved design

64.thumb.jpg.abc9f376eb26477f14eba955a462c8a8.jpg

I also did a small 3d print comparison test.

Left is the old version, right is the new one.

63.thumb.jpg.73e55ae2221bf36b1a8911eaff2b61de.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy what i'm doing. 

Thnx,

Boeba

Edited by boeba
  • Like 1

We like what you're doing very much @boeba !

It looks fantastic.

The change in the design is very subtle.  In your video clip, the proportions look absolutely fine to me - but the player feel and what you had in your mind is probably the most important thing.

It remains one of the most imaginative and exciting builds I've seen on this forum!

Andy

Very very cool. Never apologise for anything when you're a productive creator. Think, do, make, repeat.

If you need to play around with form and space, how about physical models in 1:1 from something like floral foam or whatever? That's easy to shape with knives, hot wire, etc. and gives you an immediate sense of scale and ergonomics. Other than the piercing bits, which don't hold up in foam 😉

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 5:37 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

We like what you're doing very much @boeba !

It looks fantastic.

The change in the design is very subtle.  In your video clip, the proportions look absolutely fine to me - but the player feel and what you had in your mind is probably the most important thing.

It remains one of the most imaginative and exciting builds I've seen on this forum!

Andy

Hey Andy,

I probably didn't wrote this but in the video it's still the old version that i'm playing. (sry)

On 12/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, Prostheta said:

Very very cool. Never apologise for anything when you're a productive creator. Think, do, make, repeat.

If you need to play around with form and space, how about physical models in 1:1 from something like floral foam or whatever? That's easy to shape with knives, hot wire, etc. and gives you an immediate sense of scale and ergonomics. Other than the piercing bits, which don't hold up in foam 😉

Hey Prostheta,

I have played with the idea to use foam to make cheap shapes to test. But the problem was that i couldn't attach them properly to the bronze. So that's why i make them in 3d, which is more expensive but i can't think of anything cheaper/faster to try.

If you have some ideas, please enlighten me..:)

And here is the next post.

In the previous one i showed you guys the 2 scale models for comparison.

And now i can show you the progress from old shapes to new shapes scale 1:1.

101.thumb.jpg.4183391b52bc8a70fd92b9ac3906972c.jpg

The picture above is the old version (the one i am playing in the video.)

Here is the old version where i chopped it's wings in order to attach the new improved wings. The only piece that stayed is the bronze core, which to me is the heart of the guitar.

It was very easy to take the pieces off because i only weld it on a couple of points. (because i didn't want to have everything solid before i was 100% happy with the look and feel.)

102.thumb.jpg.da4effbd4140ae5a154465b94c3e1755.jpg

And voila, some new pieces to attach. At this point, the lightblue pieces have to be cast in bronze so they can be welded onto the core.

103.thumb.jpg.070529552abfaa48d206111a76df6605.jpg

tadaaa, lightblue plastic is transformed into bronze. Magic  ;)

104.thumb.jpg.53ccf90090745c839d7b22eca3157d4b.jpg

And this is a comparison pic. Old vs new

The best change to me is the flow of shapes/lines. I tried to improve some designlines to make the design stand more out.

Especially on the back of the big wing you can see at first i just had a small bar in bronze, which is now changed to a kind of triangular shape.

105.thumb.jpg.8920f0eafdbf9a61b465f0e032ecefe7.jpg

And here everything is spotwelded.

106.thumb.jpg.fa56ebb76682dee80ac8e5b45f5ff549.jpg

107.thumb.jpg.5b4f381004d765ef56eae790cd6102d0.jpg

i am in love with this view,i don't know why but it looks like some kind of critter, a crab crawling through the sand. It feels like some kind of sculpture which i intendid to do when i started this project, combine my 2 loves; sculpture+guitar, and combine this into one playable sculpture.

108.thumb.jpg.2c7b992006f96deecb57f71c2fe97d08.jpg

And the last pic for now, again a comparison.

Above is the new version. As i see them next to each other, the new version looks more balanced, proportions, designlines,...

109.thumb.jpg.f6fb8694dc0efcf6261965f0cb1c4004.jpg

See you guys on the next update.

B

• Like 1

I was wondering what happened to this one. Looks really cool - especially the "triangle" plate on the large piece - visually it holds the whole thing together much more effectively than what you had before. I imagine there would also be some acoustic benefit as well since you're spreading the vibration over a larger surface area?

I've also been building guitars at work during off hours (though at a wood shop rather than something really cool like a foundry) and it's a fun challenge to see what can be done with the equipment on hand.

GOTM/Y in sight, I imagine ;)

• Like 1

"i'm not 100% sure about the proportions. Everything feels "squeezed" to me. Not enough negative space between the shapes."

When you say this, do you mean that you feel that VISUALLY or ERGONOMICALLY when you play it? Visually I think what you've done is incredible, your new changes are subtle but that's what many of our curves and lines are. Subtle can be huge. Ergonomically, only you can tell. But I imagine that since the guitar is SO far outside of the typical box that it is just going to feel different, and the lack of material compared to a typical guitar would be startling. 

My profession is graphic design, and I did a LOT of 3D design in college and just love love what you are doing. It makes me wonder what you would do with a completely different design. Have you seen Rick Toones builds? He has some crazy stuff that is very sculptural. Search for his Orchid bass

• Like 1

9 hours ago, komodo said:

"i'm not 100% sure about the proportions. Everything feels "squeezed" to me. Not enough negative space between the shapes."

When you say this, do you mean that you feel that VISUALLY or ERGONOMICALLY when you play it? Visually I think what you've done is incredible, your new changes are subtle but that's what many of our curves and lines are. Subtle can be huge. Ergonomically, only you can tell. But I imagine that since the guitar is SO far outside of the typical box that it is just going to feel different, and the lack of material compared to a typical guitar would be startling. 

My profession is graphic design, and I did a LOT of 3D design in college and just love love what you are doing. It makes me wonder what you would do with a completely different design. Have you seen Rick Toones builds? He has some crazy stuff that is very sculptural. Search for his Orchid bass

Hi Komodo,

both visual and ergonomical.

the first thing i always have in mind is how it looks. so visually, i want every shape to feel at it's place. I like to question things, it's offcourse just a gut feeling, but i look at my work and ask myself if i can improve it just by tweaking every shape. 

Sometimes this means to kill your darlings, i don't want to settle for a good shape/design, i want the best design i can come up with.

Ergonomically; things can only be achieved by playing on the guitar. And obviously you start noticing flaws in the computermade design. And just like you said, it feels so different than a usual guitar that it sometimes can feel weird to play on. But i'm trying to fix this.

Rick Toone; my god, i love his designs, just beautiful shapes combined into a instrument.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering this again - you know how when you drive a car for a long time. Then, you drive another car for a week for whatever reason and it's weird but you can manage, Then, you go back to the first car and it feels really weird at first. Or, the way guitars all look similar but when you play another it feels very different in a million ways. Subtle but huge.

I'm wondering if you had a playable prototype as you did, and then played it for a couple weeks. If, it would start to feel more natural as you become attuned with it? Then, subtle changes that still ask to be made would be clear?

I've been refining a guitar design with the subtle guitar outline curves (2D). It's amazing how it asks for the adjustments, and then you make small tweaks to the curve and BAM! it's just right. Right, like it's the only correct answer and it was made to be that way since forever. Right like math, and there is only one correct way. Sorry, I'm all excited because I finally found the right curves on the one I'm doing LOL.

I hope your work is going well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, komodo said:

I've been refining a guitar design with the subtle guitar outline curves (2D). It's amazing how it asks for the adjustments, and then you make small tweaks to the curve and BAM! it's just right. Right, like it's the only correct answer and it was made to be that way since forever. Right like math, and there is only one correct way. Sorry, I'm all excited because I finally found the right curves on the one I'm doing LOL.

That's exactly how I know a carve is right.

SR

• Like 1