Finished pics! A Bitsa Dreadnought for me :)

This is awesome :)

I've always wanted to try an acoustic build, but keep finding reasons to put it off. In reality I'm just chicken. Its a whole different animal than a solid body electric.

No matter how good my electrics are, I'll never consider myself a luthier until I can build acoustics...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skyjerk said:

This is awesome :)

I've always wanted to try an acoustic build, but keep finding reasons to put it off. In reality I'm just chicken. Its a whole different animal than a solid body electric.

No matter how good my electrics are, I'll never consider myself a luthier until I can build acoustics...

Well, not so very long ago I would have scoffed at the idea of me building an acoustic.  It seemed completely out of reach.  Then one of the guys in another forum did a build diary and I thought, "...hmmm... dunno… well maybe!" and had a go.

Lot of jig stuff and one or two specific bits of kit - and some MAJOR surprises in my education of actually how an acoustic is designed and constructed - but, steep learning curve aside, I realised it was do-able.  And stupendously satisfying.

The difference, I suppose, is that - as you know - I tend to break all the rules with electrics and basses.  But with acoustics, I "do it by the book!"  Absolutely.  Every step.

Anyway - if you have an interest, I reckon you should have a go!  Put it on a long-term timescale so there's no pressure.  I think you could surprise yourself :)

• Like 1

Haven't had much time recently to devote to forum attendance and guitar building in general, but I have to say....

...the rosette obviously makes all the difference to the tone...

...or, very nicely done Mr Jr :thumb:

So, watcha making next?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, curtisa said:

...the rosette obviously makes all the difference to the tone...

Do you know, I thought exactly the same thing! :)

Just to make sure it wasn't my imagination, I thought I'd better to a contolled experiment.  So I chiselled it out and listened again.  A bit inconclusive...  

So I stuck the swift back on and filled the rosette channel with brown wood filler.  If you turn the lights out and stand 10' or so away from it, you'd never know.  Mind you, admittedly it does sound like sh*te now.  ;)

:lol: Only joking!   

I actually backfilled the channel with brown epoxy. 

;)

2 hours ago, Norris said:

Beautiful work! I hope you're going to bring that to the next bass bash for me to have a go...

Of course! 

I'm going to carry it around with me at all times for the next few years and show it everyone I see. 

I've already stopped 165 unsuspecting passers-by, delivery folks, neighbours, drunks.  Stepped out and stopped a coach on the main road and got a driver and all 23 passengers in one go! :)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...