Axl semi-hollow body refinish

I bought an axl guitar (AXL Badwater Semi-hollowbody) that comes with an awful finish (Badwater) the reason i bought it was because it was on a really low discount price. So rn im trying to refinish it, but i cant decide what to do. from one side i can paint it a solid colour but i kinda like the wood the problem is that i have some weird spots in the wood they look like i made the when i was sanding it. Anyhow i left some pictures so you can see what im talking about, tell me what you think i should do.

(it only lets me upload 1 photo but you get the jizz)

Looks an awful lot like finish that has been sanded off in some places but not in others... to my untrained eye.

if that is the case it won't take stain well, and I'd guestimate it will be next to impossible to get all the finish off w/o burning through what I suspect is a veneer... so with that in mind you may want to consider paint.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony_goya said:

27df1a1a-1c30-41b3-896f-322560b1c40f.thumb.jpg.0ece0c75fb10eae96f6e2ab47f4c2420.jpg

there you can see the wierd wood a bit better

that looks like a burn through on the f hole as well. 

if you were going to do stain - against the odds... prob have to do a dark burst edge for the spots where you burned through.

6 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Looks an awful lot like finish that has been sanded off in some places but not in others... to my untrained eye.

if that is the case it won't take stain well, and I'd guestimate it will be next to impossible to get all the finish off w/o burning through what I suspect is a veneer... so with that in mind you may want to consider paint.

So, what colour/s do you suggest? 

Yes - I agree with @mistermikev.  

The tops on these are often ply laminate with the nice wood as a very thin laminate on the top.  All that has happened is that it has sanded through that top layer into the layers beneath.

If you stained it with a decent water based or spirit stain, then the stain would almost certainly also soak into those areas too.  It might be a little darker shade but I wouldn't have thought would be overly noticeable.  You could even do a dark outer burst with stain that would further hide the patches. 

• Like 1