finally got a 14" bandsaw!

DSCN1632.thumb.JPG.13cffb08a16fc76abe12fc6a9522d120.JPG

quite the ordeal yesterday... was on craigslist for $200 which is a bit overpriced but I've gotten snaked on the last 3 i tried to buy so...

started heading to the guys house and he calls and tells me he went out to test it and shredded the drive belt... if I still want it I can have it for $140.  got there saw a dry rotted drive belt... ran the thing and it seemed to run good so took the plunge.

I don't have very high expectations... but it does have an 8" clearance so... am hopeful it can resaw. 

Would love to hear negative/positive feedback about this model.  If anyone has an 'words of advice' about setting it up etc.

• Like 1

That looks much like mine, maybe perhaps a size larger. Mine will resaw 6 7/8". I haven't had any complaints with mine over the last 10 years other than wishing it had a few more horses when I'm resawing particularly dense wood. Even then it gets the job done. Keep an eye on your guide bearings as they will wear and sometimes vibrate loose. Just be sure to check your set up before resawing and it should do you fine.

SR

• Thanks 1

thank you sir!  I have heard the comment about bearings from multiple sources now!  apparently the prior owner replaced them recently with skateboard bearings.  I was a skater when i was young and am aware that generally the bearings employed are good quality german ones so... now just need to get my belt and then ensure they are set right!  as always - thank you for the response.

It's basically a Rikon unit with an underpowered motor. I have the 10 inch version and I'm on my second motor and belt in ten years. The first motor failed on my first project cutting out a pine tele body and the first belt dry rotted last year. If the motor goes kaput, consider upgrading to a 1.5 or 1.75 hp unit that's on the Rikon version. Otherwise, the mechanicals are sound and the build quality seems good. My brother in law has a 17 inch Laguna and he can never seem to get it to run right, but my Craftsman tracks well and cuts straight. I even used it to cut a scarf joint on my new guitar.

• Thanks 1

wow, that's a heck of an endorsement.  We'll have to see how the motor holds up.  I think these belts must be really prone to dry rot because I've heard a lot of that.  Recently replaced my craftsman drill press drive belt with a auto belt and it made a solid difference... perhaps I should try to find something similar for this. 

thank you for the info!

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get good service out of it. The little things on a bandsaw will annoy the crap out of you, but once they're set up they are usually great. One other tip--make sure to release the tension on the blade when you're not using it. It will help the blades last longer and save the wheel bearings. Mine does not have a quick release lever, so I have to manually twist the knob every time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crafty said:

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get good service out of it. The little things on a bandsaw will annoy the crap out of you, but once they're set up they are usually great. One other tip--make sure to release the tension on the blade when you're not using it. It will help the blades last longer and save the wheel bearings. Mine does not have a quick release lever, so I have to manually twist the knob every time.

good point re tension... will do.  speaking of wheel bearings... these spin fine... but starting to hear a little noise when they turn.  how hare is it to replace bearings and do you recommend sizing and buying better quality or just go with the craftsman?

On 9/21/2018 at 5:05 PM, mistermikev said:

good point re tension... will do.  speaking of wheel bearings... these spin fine... but starting to hear a little noise when they turn.  how hare is it to replace bearings and do you recommend sizing and buying better quality or just go with the craftsman?

You know, sometimes Sears Parts has the best price, sometimes not. Good quality bearings should last a long time, and that's one thing I haven't had to replace yet. I know you need snap ring pliers to remove the wheels, but I don't know if the bearings are pressed in or not. If they are pressed, you'll either need a hydraulic press to remove and replace them, or just replace the whole wheel. Someone on youtube has probably done it before.

yes... snap ring pliers... need one of those as I found out last night.  good news: both wheel bearings are fine... as soon as I took the blade off they spun up quiet... so the blade must be making contact somewhere.  need to get some snap ring pliers before I can put the new belt on... excited!  thanks for the reply