New Magnum build

Skyjerk

20 hours ago, Skyjerk said:

Ok well I did my fret work last night. 

After dressing the fret ends, leveled with a leveling beam (400 grit paper)I crowned using a stewmac Z file. Really good product. Did the job fast and perfectly

Folllwing that I polished stating at 320, then 400, 600, 1500, 2000, and then 0000 steel wool

So I completed the steel wool on every fret, and then used my dremel with a small buffing wheel and green jewelers rouge (compound) and got the shine I was looking for.

The usual start

IMG_2481.jpg

Used this fret end dressing file I got from Crimson Guitars. Good results. My technique needs some. polishing too, though :)

IMG_2482.jpg

Finally sprung for the ubiquitous purple sharpie. Now I know why they are so common in the fret tutorials I've seen. I'd used black till now and the purple is just easier to see.

IMG_2483.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

My fret ends look way nicer than my previous builds. Still learning, but the overall polish and smoothness is superior to previous fret jobs

This baby is gonna have some smooth bending :)

bird-polish2.jpg

bird-polish.jpg

Today is a down day. The last two years has apparently caused me to start grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw in my sleep. So hard that I've chipped several teeth and fractured the root on one of my molars, which of course developed an abscess.
Had the thing extracted this AM and now I'm enjoying the complete and utter lack of pain relief provided by that Wonder product called Tylenol.

That said, tomorrow I'm going to sand and buff the top and headstock, and Saturday will see this build completed

sorry to hear about the teeth... man that can be a ruff one.  I dread the dentist... and apparently I have really long roots... correlation there.  Here's hoping you feel better and keep up the awesome work!

OK, well here we go!

No pix of the rest of the process. I had a lot of work wrapping this guitar up over the weekend and stopping to take pix was going to take more time than I wanted, plus its boring :)

You will all be familiar with these steps, though.

I wet sanded the top to 1000 grit, and then a run on the buffing wheel with medium compound, following by the other buff with fine compound. Finished it off with Novus #2 fine scratch remover. I still need to do a swirl remover but I'll do that once I actually buy some :)

Anyhoo, a recap on the specs:

Model: 22 Magnum (unnamed as of yet)

Scale length: 25"

Radius: 12"

Construction: neck-through-body, 3-piece laminate neck, carbon fiber reinforcement

Body and neck: Bolivian  mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla)

Top and matching headstock: book-matched, quilted big leaf maple

Binding: natural (faux binding)

Fretboard: Brazilian Rosewood

Truss rod cover: ebony with MOP inlay logo

Inlays: mother-of-pearl and abalone

Frets: medium jumbo stainless steel

Nut: unbleached bone

Pickups: Seymour Duncan JB bridge and 59 neck

Tuners: Schaller locking 3x3

Bridge and tailpiece: Tonepros

Control cavity cover: Indian Rosewood with magnetic fasteners

Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer

Guts: CTS 500k pots and Sprague "orange drop" .047 cap

A lot of these pix seem to make it appear more orange than it really looks. The lighting isnt ideal.

tiger-eyemag35.jpg

tiger-eyemag4.jpg

tiger-eyemag5.jpg

tiger-eyemag17.jpg

tiger-eyemag6.jpg

tiger-eyemag7.jpg

tiger-eyemag8.jpg

tiger-eyemag9.jpg

tiger-eyemag10.jpg

tiger-eyemag11.jpg

tiger-eyemag12.jpg

tiger-eyemag13.jpg

tiger-eyemag18.jpg

tiger-eyemag14.jpg

tiger-eyemag15.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ScottR said:

I'd like to see that thing in direct sunlight.

SR

Im waiting for the weekend to get some of those exact pix 🙂

it was cloudy all last weekend, and the sun is too low and too red when I get home from work. 

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Sometimes these sacrifices must be made for the greater good. In this case, that killer tiger eye look you got.

SR

Exactly

In my experience, the value of having a lot of movement in the figure is so you can sit there with it in your hands turning it back and forth and saying "whoa! thats totally cool!"

From a practical perspective, having some eye popping figure that maybe doesnt move quite as much while going "Whoa" is better because, for one thing, still photo's dont move at all regardless, and people standing more than 4 feet away watching you play arent going to see any movement either.

In both cases they will see that eye popping figure and contrast and possibly be amazed and awed even though they wont see movement.

Dont get me wrong, I like that movement. A lot. But its not the only consideration when building a guitar that may hopefully gain you some attention as a builder :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...