the mv shelter for abused guitars...

just some random guitar pics... this one is a hamer steve stevens I bought when I was 14. It was in the northridge quake (95?) sitting in front of a laney half stack... the quake launched the head of the stack onto the head of this guitar! Had repaired it then but didn't want to break it the rest of the way off... 10 years later it finally broke again... popped her all the way off, scraped the old glue off, glued it back up and added a mahog overlay for strength...
IMG_2455.JPGHMR_2329.JPGHMR_2419.JPG

carruthers tele. traded on cl for it. had some red overspray that seeped into the laquer so stripped it and did a refin with true oil...
IMG_2573_justcurath.jpg
family photo
IMG_2573.JPG

below is a 'dillion' that I bought on cl for $25. It had been shot 3 times with a .22. You can see the shots bottom/middle. IMG_2557.JPG

filled the holes with epoxy and did a paint job, added hot rodded buckers and it's been a fav ever since!
IMAG0022.jpg

the mv shelter for abused guitars does accept donations (imagine music "arms of an angel")

• Like 1

That’s a very tasteful collection, a bit of bling but nothing too over the top. Classy!

I have a Mexican Strat that has a massacred body that is the result of me trying to take off the thick poly...I tried to burn it off years ago 😂 I may take the neck off it to use in a current Tele build...haven’t decided yet. 

Edited by ShatnersBassoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

That’s a very tasteful collection, a bit of bling but nothing too over the top. Classy!

I have a Mexican Strat that has a massacred body that is the result of me trying to take off the thick poly...I tried to burn it off years ago 😂 I may take the neck off it to use in a current Tele build...haven’t decided yet. 

you want gawdy... I have just the thing - an 89 jem fp... that's the one with the flowers all over the body, pink pickups, bright green vine of life! 

afa massacred body... redo that succer!  nothing some sanding/heat-gun/paint-stripper won't fix!  or, if that don't work... glue on a top! 

Would love to see that and folks here are so generous with info you can't hardly go wrong!  Cheers and thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

that isn't that bad.  Those factory finishes are hard to take off, but I would bet if you let some paint stripper sit on it for 3hrs... a putty knife would scrape it right off.  Then a little sanding and voilla!  Def a nice looking guitar - worthy of a refin!

• Like 1

Yes it was my first guitar that I reckoned was a step up above from the Squier. Interestingly, it has those magnets on the back of the pickups! Maybe it was a partscaster all along? It always played well but to be honest my Squier sounded better, and it was made of ply! (I know because I dented the finish one day and it showed through). I was young and silly and thinking that the ply element automatically made it a bad instrument, I gave the guitar to some kid. Years later he brought the guitar along to my house and I was amazed at how awesome it sounded.

• Like 1