Not Quite A Tele...

ScottR

12 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

(weeps in my pile of imperfect shavings)

Speaking of imperfect shavings......I really ought to sweep mine up before taking pictures.

It looks like a pack of rabid squirrels raided the bird feeder on the way to taking gleeful swan dives into a pile of  (what used to be) neatly swept up shavings.:D

SR

• Haha 1

I started this weekend thinking I'd carve my initials into the volute and then set the neck. Because setting the neck would pretty much shut me down for the weekend waiting for the glue to dry, I took my time and carved slowly and then sanded the neck and headstock up to 400. I figured that would get me to glue up nicely and I'd call it a weekend.

C01837.jpgC01840.jpgC01841.jpgC01842.jpg

SR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

That Osage orange looks great! There’s tons of it around here in Oklahoma, I need to give it a try. 

There's tons of it in Missouri where I grew up too. We just called it hedge, and it dropped giant hedge apples. I remember walking along the fence lines as a kid and noticing how dark the heartwood of broken branches got. I always wondered if it was ever used for furniture or anything. At that time I didn't even know that it for prized for bows by the Osage Indians. It's very hard and very stiff, but what is getting my attention is how silky smooth it feels. This is going to be a very fast neck.

SR

Great work as usual! I'd like to see more in progress pics if you have any? I'm always amazed by the flowing lines you get.

BTW, I looked up the Osage orange on wiki and realized they are growing all around our house :) It seems that at some point they were planted all over the former YU as a decoration. Kids are using the "apples" to play bocce :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gpcustomguitars said:

Great work as usual! I'd like to see more in progress pics if you have any? I'm always amazed by the flowing lines you get.

BTW, I looked up the Osage orange on wiki and realized they are growing all around our house :) It seems that at some point they were planted all over the former YU as a decoration. Kids are using the "apples" to play bocce :)

Cheers Goran!

I'm afraid I did not take many in process pics to this point. I sometimes feel like I'm taking pictures of the same things I did the last 6 or 7 builds and get lazy. It's easy to forget that every time someone will be seeing the steps I take for the first time. I'll do better going forward.

Hedge apples as bocce balls? Brilliant!:D

SR

1 hour ago, Lwguitar said:

Your headstocks are amazing! I’m designing my first guitar now and am kind of stuck on the headstock look. I love how you have it carved!

Thanks.

Take your time and pick a nice shape. Headstocks tend to become a signature look for a builder. I like them to have a shape that reflects something from the body shape or at least complements it.

SR

Hi Scott... well, I don't have much time to spare on guitars lately.

One is finished and sounding, I just can't take a decent picture of it, but thinking on calling a buddy to do the photoshoot... the other one is ready for the finishing. I bought some water based laquer and wanted to try with that, as nitro is extremely toxic for my little apartment. I saw some videos of people using this stuff and the result is not so bad, so maybe is worth a try.

In the meanwhile, I enjoy watching your progress, is the only cool thing of Mondays. ;) 

23 hours ago, psikoT said:

Hi Scott... well, I don't have much time to spare on guitars lately.

One is finished and sounding, I just can't take a decent picture of it, but thinking on calling a buddy to do the photoshoot... the other one is ready for the finishing. I bought some water based laquer and wanted to try with that, as nitro is extremely toxic for my little apartment. I saw some videos of people using this stuff and the result is not so bad, so maybe is worth a try.

In the meanwhile, I enjoy watching your progress, is the only cool thing of Mondays. ;) 

It bears repeating. Taking good pictures of guitars is way harder than building good guitars.

And you build very good guitars. I hope you get a picture you're happy enough with to post. Those two you have under construction are stunners.

SR

Now we're on to things that make visible changes!

Neck pocket routed.

C01850.jpg

Tenon leveled to match body surface.

C01852.jpg

First miscalculation.

I normally set the neck pickup at the end of the fretboard. .I apparently did not get a good measurement for the scale length with reference to the position of te neck into the body.

C01858.jpg

So I'm going to have to fit the top right up against the fretboard.. Normally I can rout the edges of the pocket on the top by using the pocket as a guide. I don't have to worry about the body end fit because it falls into the neck pickup route. This time I cannot do that, so I have to cut a precise pocket in the top.

C01860.jpgC01855.jpgC01857.jpg

SR