Not Quite A Tele...

ScottR

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

I am having a banner year for builds.:D

One of my main build goals is to make the neck join/heel tactiley  invisible.

SR

That's got my vote too. 

The often encountered - on most Fenders for example - high brick wall 'Halt!  Go no further' affair has always seemed to me to be unhelpful to the player and unnecessary.  I've dreamt up another solution that has worked on one of my recent saves if I can get round to updating the thread.

This one, @ScottR looks good and I can see will work well.  :)

• Like 1

Before I get started, I had a small project to complete. I'm going to pass on a couple of my older builds to my niece and nephew this holiday season....just a couple of old hand-me-downs.

One of them has an earlier form of my volute with no signature, so I need to correct that.

C01924.jpgC01925.jpgC01927.jpgC01929.jpgC01930.jpgC01934.jpg

Done.

SR

• Like 2

Where was I? Oh yes, pore filling. After watching a Timbermate video that was posted here by I no longer remember whom, I learned that it can be continually reconstituted by misting with water whilst rubbing the stuff into the pores. I didn't have a mister, but I did think that wet sanding it in might accomplish the same thing.

C01935.jpgC01938.jpg

I felt like this technique did indeed do a fine job.

Next I polished the guitar up to micromesh 12000. No finish involved in these shots yet.

C01939.jpgC01940.jpgC01942.jpgC01943.jpg

SR

• Like 1

Next I started sealing with Tru-oil on the body and Danish oil on the neck.

C01952.jpgC01953.jpgC01954.jpgC01955.jpg

You can see that this is the same ash board as my last build was from. That crazy zigzag figure that I named chain link fence figure is showing up everywhere.

C01956.jpg

It appears to be at all depths of the board. Here you can see it on the surface and right down the edge.

C01957.jpg

C01958.jpg

SR

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

Next I started sealing with Tru-oil on the body and Danish oil on the neck.

C01952.jpgC01953.jpgC01954.jpgC01955.jpg

You can see that this is the same ash board as my last build was from. That crazy zigzag figure that I named chain link fence figure is showing up everywhere.

C01956.jpg

It appears to be at all depths of the board. Here you can see it on the surface and right down the edge.

C01957.jpg

C01958.jpg

SR

I've got a chain link fence on my latest swift lite bass build.  Is it a particular feature of Ash?  It looks v cool :)

I'm sure you've said in the past but what do you particularly favour about using Danish oil on the neck?

Andy

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've got a chain link fence on my latest swift lite bass build.  Is it a particular feature of Ash?  It looks v cool :)

I'm sure you've said in the past but what do you particularly favour about using Danish oil on the neck?

Andy

I dunno Andy, this is the first piece of ash I've worked with.  Thought it was unique, but if you've got it on your side of the pond as well, it might indeed be a feature of ash, or at least an occurrence particular to ash.I agree that it looks cool. I wonder if anyone else has run across this before?

I like Danish oil on my necks because it soaks in instead of leaving a surface film. This leaves the neck feeling more like bare wood and allows my hands to slide up and down the neck easier than a film finish does. A lacquer or poly finish or even Tru-oil tends to be a bit grabby....at least in my experience.

SR

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

I dunno Andy, this is the first piece of ash I've worked with.  Thought it was unique, but if you've got it on your side of the pond as well, it might indeed be a feature of ash, or at least an occurrence particular to ash.I agree that it looks cool. I wonder if anyone else has run across this before?

I like Danish oil on my necks because it soaks in instead of leaving a surface film. This leaves the neck feeling more like bare wood and allows my hands to slide up and down the neck easier than a film finish does. A lacquer or poly finish or even Tru-oil tends to be a bit grabby....at least in my experience.

SR

I actually had similar marks in the ash of my first build! Isn't it from some kind of wood borer larvae?

1 hour ago, Stu. said:

I actually had similar marks in the ash of my first build! Isn't it from some kind of wood borer larvae?

I originally thought it was some kind of wood borer larvae back filled holes. But I have a two inch thick board that I can see them on the surface of, and when I carve away an inch or more they are still there. Perhaps the wood is growing that way in response to some outside irritation or stimulus....sort of a plant life version of a pearl. But in my piece the shapes are definitely wood fibers growing in different directions than the surrounding grain, which by definition should be called figure. Some of them even have pores, albeit out of place with the pores the figure is crossing.

SR

After looking at a buttload of pictures of ash, I found a couple of pictures that looked like yours Andy.

It is on this page under the heading Berlandier Ash.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ash, misc.htm

Way further down on the page under the heading Pieces sold as swamp ash on the far right side is a picture of a board with figure similar to mine. This page has several hundred shots that do not have any similar markings and the white ash page had several hundred more without the markings either.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the markings are particular to ash, but not at all common.

SR

28 minutes ago, Norris said:

I'm sure I had a couple of bits of that figuring in my Nozcaster. Not as pronounced as the examples above though

Maybe we should start a chain link fence club. :)

We could have our own CLFGOTM!

Vote for me!  Vote for me!  Scott's is too neat - pick mine!!!!:hyper

• Haha 2

On 12/17/2018 at 9:12 AM, ScottR said:

SR

+1 on danish oil on necks- especially if you do the last coat with fine steel wool- it leaves the neck super slick and fast- even more so than if you say sand back lacquer to a 2000 grit dulled matte sheen-that smooths out the lacquer for sure and leaves it slicker than just polished lacquer- but not fast and smooth like danish oil. 

and is it me or does anyone else (actually) enjoy the scent of danish oil? i still wear a mask- but at least a garage full of danish oil gas off is a 1000x better than lacquer or poly gas off.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

+1 on danish oil on necks- especially if you do the last coat with fine steel wool- it leaves the neck super slick and fast- even more so than if you say sand back lacquer to a 2000 grit dulled matte sheen-that smooths out the lacquer for sure and leaves it slicker than just polished lacquer- but not fast and smooth like danish oil. 

and is it me or does anyone else (actually) enjoy the scent of danish oil? i still wear a mask- but at least a garage full of danish oil gas off is a 1000x better than lacquer or poly gas off.

if I may divert - what kind of danish oil do you guys recommend? 

5 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Watco is what I always use, just because it is so readily available.

SR

I asked because I used that on my bass and noticed that if you don't give it ample drying time before sanding... it will sort of leave a grayish discoloration.  Wondered if there was anything that drys faster, but I spose' I should just give it the time it needs!  Thanks for the response.