Not Quite A Tele...

ScottR

15 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

It really is an unbelievable guitar....'not quite a Tele' indeed. Has your personal stamp all over it! Which is I guess what this is all about right? :)

Exactly!:)

I cannot imagine making an exact copy of anything.

SR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

I can't stop buying wood! Its my main excitement each pay day....mmmm grain!!! Ha ha!

I've accused (justly) of having "wood envy" whilst looking a pile of logs, as well as while looking at all the goodies in the hardwood shop.

SR

• Like 3

count me in!  Perhaps we should start a wood-users-purchasing-s'more anonymous?
have about 12 tops awaiting a build but when I heard my fav spot got a new shipment... couldn't resist!  Irrational fear that the world will run out of quilted maple!  but in my defense:DSCN2262.JPGDSCN2259.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:
have about 12 tops awaiting a build but when I heard my fav spot got a new shipment... couldn't resist!  Irrational fear that the world will run out of quilted maple!  but in my defense:

Those are quite tasty, I've been struggling to find any quilted maple in the UK, not anything that isn't crazy money anyway

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Those are quite tasty, I've been struggling to find any quilted maple in the UK, not anything that isn't crazy money anyway

I would assume they would ship overseas but I dunno.  You could ask Liz over at downhomewoods (etsy).  In the us they will ship up to three tops for $18 and the tops are under $50 each so I thought that was quite reasonable.  Couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

11 minutes ago, mistermikev said:
have about 12 tops awaiting a build but when I heard my fav spot got a new shipment... couldn't resist!  Irrational fear that the world will run out of quilted maple!  but in my defense:DSCN2262.JPGDSCN2259.JPG

Oooh lovely pieces! looking forward to seeing what you do with the flamed oak too.

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

10 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I’ve found that you can get lucky when it’s not advertised as a ‘body blank’ or drop top. I have a feeling that people charge more when its sold as guitar specific wood.

Just now, ShatnersBassoon said:

Oooh lovely pieces! looking forward to seeing what you do with the flamed pal too.

i have totally hijacked this thread.  I'm sorry @scottr your tele is amazing!  btw if you are looking for volunteers of mediocre players to play it for you (as mentioned)... my address is....😀

the flame is kinda on the back burner as I dread re-doing the rosewood binding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Hijack away! I'm happy to provide a forum (:D) for irreverent remarks.

If the uncontrollable acquisition of gear is GAS "wood" this not be WAS?

Although WUPASS is too good to pass up.

SR

I'm partial to wupass myself... but was isn't bad either!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.

There are some crude visualizations percolating in the ol' noggin these days, but I haven't made them hold still long enough for me to get a good look at them. The one thing that keeps coming back is the idea of a 3 pickup set up--2 P-90s with a strat middle pup, all wound and wired like a strat. I really want to know what the second and fourth switch selections sound like.

SR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Thanks.

There are some crude visualizations percolating in the ol' noggin these days, but I haven't made them hold still long enough for me to get a good look at them. The one thing that keeps coming back is the idea of a 3 pickup set up--2 P-90s with a strat middle pup, all wound and wired like a strat. I really want to know what the second and fourth switch selections sound like.

SR

sounds fun and fat. 

11 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Two highly desirable characteristics in a pick-up to my mind.

SR

I would agree.  I love p90s and personally love them underwound.  folks always look for the overwound but the beauty IMO is the bigger coil area making it fatter and the underwind making it brighter.  then again I've like overwound too... can't hardly go wrong.

• Like 1