Not Quite A Tele...

ScottR

15 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

That burst on the top looks tasty

Cheers Brett!

15 hours ago, mistermikev said:

what he said about the burst.  great color!

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to re-do it. I was tweaking the regulator whilst spraying the first layer of lacquer over the burst and accidentally sent a stream of pure lacquer out of the gun that caught an edge of the guitar and caused the tint to run. I knocked the runs back with sandpaper and re-tinted, which caused that area to go a bit darker than I originally wanted.....but not too bad. After several more coats of clear, I see that I can still see the tint runs,if I try hard enough. At first I thought screw it, this is just a rescue top and and leftover wood build, no big deal.

I'm also fighting blush, big time. Now I know, you guys are thinking I'm spraying nitro in January, of course I'm fighting blush. But the days I've sprayed have been in the mid 70's (F) and 65% humidity. I should be able to spray cleanly to my heart's desire. I think the culprit may be my compressor tank collecting moisture. I'm going to put a moisture trap on it and try again....the next time the conditions are right. could be next weekend, could be a couple of months.

In the meantime I'm going to remove some blushed up  clear coat and re-burst the top.

Yay.

SR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

Cheers Brett!

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to re-do it. I was tweaking the regulator whilst spraying the first layer of lacquer over the burst and accidentally sent a stream of pure lacquer out of the gun that caught an edge of the guitar and caused the tint to run. I knocked the runs back with sandpaper and re-tinted, which caused that area to go a bit darker than I originally wanted.....but not too bad. After several more coats of clear, I see that I can still see the tint runs,if I try hard enough. At first I thought screw it, this is just a rescue top and and leftover wood build, no big deal.

I'm also fighting blush, big time. Now I know, you guys are thinking I'm spraying nitro in January, of course I'm fighting blush. But the days I've sprayed have been in the mid 70's (F) and 65% humidity. I should be able to spray cleanly to my heart's desire. I think the culprit may be my compressor tank collecting moisture. I'm going to put a moisture trap on it and try again....the next time the conditions are right. could be next weekend, could be a couple of months.

In the meantime I'm going to remove some blushed up  clear coat and re-burst the top.

Yay.

SR

Been there done that hated it shoulda sanded it back and started over.

I have had success with Mohawk and Behlen blush removers.

15 hours ago, RestorationAD said:

I have had success with Mohawk and Behlen blush removers.

I have been impressed with the Behlen blush eraser as well

Having said that, after my last coat of nitro blushed up and sat for a day, I sprayed it down with the blush eraser before work and it cleared up nicely. But when I checked after work, most of the blush was back.No big deal since the lacquer is coming off anyway, but that is the first time I've seen that happen.

SR

I did a rough polish over the resprayed drips to see how visible they were. I suppose I could have gotten away with them....but once I decided I could see them, I can never un-see them.

C02002.jpg

I sanded the top carefully till areas of tint began to disappear. Then I used lacquer thinner on a rag to clear it off and leave the base coat of sealer intact. I was a little surprised at how much tint I had sprayed on there.

C02005.jpg

I got it all off the top and then sprayed a new layer of lacquer on the whole body.

C02007.jpgC02008.jpg

The temperature had gotten up to 70 and the humidity down to 50% and I still had to spray some blush eraser before retinting

SR

It'll be worth it. 

I had the heaviest blushing I've ever had with my last spray, and the blush eraser was like magic. Did you try erasing, letting it dry for a day or two and trying it again? Just curious. 

That back carve!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, komodo said:

It'll be worth it. 

I had the heaviest blushing I've ever had with my last spray, and the blush eraser was like magic. Did you try erasing, letting it dry for a day or two and trying it again? Just curious. 

That back carve!

I have tried erasing, drying for a few days and erasing again as needed. Sometimes I need to do that, most times I don't. This particular build needs it more often than not. My can of eraser is several years old, and I sprayed the last of it this weekend. I will be interested to see if the fresh can (when it arrives) needs as many second sprays as the old one did.

SR

And you said you are using moisturr traps inline? I always make sure to drain the petcock on the compressor tank, and use an inline ball filter plus a dessicant filter inline. Even then I had to use blush eraser. 

We had a cold damp weekend here so other than getting a shot of blush eraser from a new can, this guitar is just hanging around.

In the meantime, I've been tasked with seeing if I can free the man in the moon from a chunk of black limba. I haven't done a carving in a while and it is certainly more fun that watching paint dry. So I started that little project to keep my little mind from wandering around lost, and perhaps deciding that marginal weather would be okay to shoot lacquer in, even though I've already proved to myself that it is not. So over in the Off Topics Chat section I've got a little thread called Manny DeLuna and the Dark Side of The Moon.  Grab a cold beer and feel free to join me.

SR

• Like 1

I spent most of Saturday at a charity poker tournament. I made my contribution to charity without winning, but the day was shot so I got nothing done here. (Manny did get a couple of hours of work on his nose).

Today was supposed to warm up, so I was thinking I might get a little touch up work in. I needed to clean up some over sprayed tint on the back. The day started out nice enough- in the 50's but the humidity was 75% or more.Straight up Manny time....then around 3:00 the temp pushed 70 and the humidity got down under 50%. I got to work and scuffed the surface with 400 grit since it had been several weeks since I last sprayed.C02032.jpgC02033.jpg

Then I sprayed some more tint on the back to blend in the over-sprayed area.

C02034.jpg

And decided to tweak the burst on the front as well.

C02036.jpg

And since the spraying was good, I shot a few layers of clear as well.

C02038.jpgC02040.jpg

The temp and humidity were prime, but I also learned that it makes a difference to make sure your lacquer is warm too. I mixed some up and put it in the house to warm up.....and then just before spraying I let it warm up a few minutes more in front of a space heater.

No blush!

SR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, komodo said:

This is a thing of beauty. Man, that sunbursting has taken it over the edge.

Poker - another thing we have in common. I'm somewhat dangerous.

Thanks, man!

I think I'm happy with the burst this time. It doesn't appear to have nearly as much orange peel hanging in my garage as those pics seem to have. Almost like it flowed out some more. Or perhaps shrinkage accounts for that.

Poker - Remember the days of the weekly game, where a table full of buddies with a fist full of dollars and a cup full of quarters, passed the deal each hand and called a new game, dealer's choice, and drank beer and munched chips, cracking jokes and farting, all night long?

This was a 40 table tournament of Texas Hold 'em. Fun in its own right, but not quite the same ambiance. And it kills a whole Saturday instead of just a late night.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

This was a 40 table tournament of Texas Hold 'em. Fun in its own right, but not quite the same ambiance. And it kills a whole Saturday instead of just a late night.

SR

I'm all about both. But tournament Hold Em is where I like it actually. Maybe not 40 tables . . . Sit N Gos are my specialty. 

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That burst is great, Scott! :)

Thanks Andy!

30 minutes ago, komodo said:

I'm all about both. But tournament Hold Em is where I like it actually. Maybe not 40 tables . . . Sit N Gos are my specialty. 

I haven't played much of anything but Hold 'em for years. It is definitely good fun.

I still miss the old games though.....

SR

9 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Beautiful curves 😁 That’s how I Iike em 😏. The back almost reminds me of those Ovation bowlbacks...except done in a much classier style, and probably not as slippery! 

Thank you sir!

I have a great fondness for lovely curves myself.:)

SR

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to find good days to shoot lacquer coats......

Last weekend Saturday was chilly but dry. It would have been a good day to shoot, but I had another project ahead of that. When I went out into the garage the next day it was warmer and still dry, so I set up and shot several coats. Then I noticed that after I opened the garage door and started shooting the humidity went way up as a warm front came through. This is what those coats ended up looking like.

C02084.jpgC02085.jpg

Then Tuesday it was lovely and dry enough and I cleaned that blush off and sprayed some lovely coats that dried clear.

I tried it again Wednesday, but the humidity was back. I got most of the blush off and this is where it is now. Some of the highlights you see are highlights and some are remaining blush.

C02102.jpgC02103.jpgC02104.jpgC02105.jpg

And so it goes. The only clear coat I've had fight me this much was the one that leaped off the bench face down on the garage floor minutes after I had finished buffing it out.

SR

Hi Scott.  I don't often spray, but one of the project I did had to - and suffered exactly the same issues.  Very frustrating.

Is there a numerical humidity level where this kicks in or is it more random than that?  Also, what do you have do to clean it off?  Is it literally remove the previous coat?