Not Quite A Tele...

ScottR

31 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Now that is something I do as well....although not so much teak oil as Watco Danish oil and tru oil.

I like what oil does to deepen the natural colors of the wood, so my normal procedure is to let the body soak up a couple coats or oil, let them dry and then shoot lacquer. I have some Behlen Teak Oil and used it exclusively for one guitar's finish. As you mentioned it takes a bit longer to dry and I feel like the Danish oil deepens the colors just a bit more.....that may just be me.

SR

Not you. It is the mix. All the brands behave differently. Danish, Teak, and Tung oil recipes are all subject to interpretation. 

• Like 1

I had a plan to airbrush some water based dye to help smooth out that transition from the tinted lacquer to the oiled neck. I thought I had sanded the neck enough at that point that it would take dye and the water based stuff would wipe right off the nitro.

Alcohol based dye would eat into the nitro and color it, and I didn't want that. Turns out the oil soaks in pretty damn deep; it would not take the dye at all. It just sat there and beaded at me. Oh well, the Osage orange will continue to get darker and the transition will get more subtle....and frankly it really doesn't bother me, and it's my guitar!

C02141.jpgC02142.jpgC02143.jpgC02145.jpg

SR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScottR said:

I had a plan to airbrush some water based dye to help smooth out that transition from the tinted lacquer to the oiled neck. I thought I had sanded the neck enough at that point that it would take dye and the water based stuff would wipe right off the nitro.

Alcohol based dye would eat into the nitro and color it, and I didn't want that. Turns out the oil soaks in pretty damn deep; it would not take the dye at all. It just sat there and beaded at me. Oh well, the Osage orange will continue to get darker and the transition will get more subtle....and frankly it really doesn't bother me, and it's my guitar!

C02141.jpgC02142.jpgC02143.jpgC02145.jpg

SR

That is magnificent, Scott.  Masterly application of a masterful technique.

I actually like the clean line contrast between the gloss and the neck and I like that you can see the neck underneath it.  It emphasises just how stunning that gloss is.

Bravo! :)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

3rd dot at 12th fret maybe?

I went old school, it's almost a tele after all.

I even used MOP dots, except for the 12th which are abalone.

And best of all, two dots are much better at hiding any alignment errors, whilst 3 dots almost create an arrow pointing out the dot that is not standing in line.:D

SR

That's incredible, your finishes are always show car glossy and deep. I love how it looks kinda traditional but very modern. It would be at home in nearly any situation, playing anything.

When I was shooting pics of my tele I had the same thing with it looking really different from different angles. 

• Like 1