Ms. Furniture... Introduction to Woodworking & Guitars

Alright ladies and gentlemen, this will be my first ever build. I planned on attaching photos, however, all my photos are too large even after cropping so I'll have to reduce the size on my laptop later. 

In regards to my build "Ms. Furniture", the name kind of gives out a decent amount of info on it. Since this is my first build ever I decided to buy a decent amount of Poplar and Red Oak from the nearest lumber store...(Lowe's)... 

Pursuant to many sketches, cuts, adjustments, and such other woodzy requirements (I'm already falling deeply for woodworking (especially while using the hand tools). I decided on a length pattern style body (probably not the correct term), a width & length pattern style neck (difficult to describe but the pictures should justify this look)...And. Well, for everything else I'm not too sure. But I will update the progress on an intermittent basis. 

I would like to add that all advise, suggestions, opinions, facts, etcetera (for the guitar), are more than welcome.

Oh yeah, this will be a Bass.

Due to overthinking, no plans, and my wing it for the first build type of mindset...Many pieces of the wood were destroyed. My ego decided to go on vacation. And. Well... The need to get more experience in became absolute.

After the significant other coaxed me into my shop on a daily basis with hot Cheetos and Sprite I became accustom to the.................

.........heartburn.

Since my dumbself decided to learn how to use a bench top jointer and planer on the wood I already cut and was prepping for the gluing stage (causing wood mutilation). The hand tools route seemed a safer bet. So I made all cuts, SAVE AND EXCEPT, the bottom two poplar with my Dozuki. Yes it took about 2 hours last night but it's done. Next I'll be squaring them up and flattening. Then glue.

I'm just debating on keeping that mid bottom hollow, I may come into issues with the balance in the future.

In relevance to the neck, Im at a bit of a standstill. That whole radiusing, fretting, leveling frets, inlays, etcetera. And everything must be perfect is quite overwhelming. Any suggestions on tools I can use for the whole neck, fret, etcetera, part of the build?

3_154109037627238.jpg

So I took my wife to the local hardwood seller (2hr drive), I got some wood for the guitar builds and she got some for the library. The pic doesn't do it any justice so in order to help distinguish the size of each piece the Curly Maple is 6'x8"x2". There's a 4'x6"x2" Bubinga and a 2'x6"x2" Cocobolo behind the leopardwood.

5_1541020498394509.jpeg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Was finally able to focus on my luthier skills...or lack thereof for the past four weeks and decided to use the poplar and red oak "Ms. furniture" wood on actual furniture throughout the house, then went directly to the exotics.

IMG_20190406_234856_compress2.jpg

IMG_20190427_221438_compress37.jpg

IMG_20190425_000818_compress84.jpg

When in a rut never rush...My pops and Gramps drilled that into after I got stuck on something...

Soooo... I starting creating the back to the top of the library/bookshelf I told the wife I would make for her. Furthering my squaring and jointing experience.

Also, does anyone know what these gashes in the zebra wood might be. I don't recall them when I first bought it. Now they go entirely through this piece. 

IMG_20190603_210658_compress29.jpg

IMG_20190404_213534_compress85.jpg

IMG_20190404_212809_compress84.jpg

IMG_20190404_213539_compress88.jpg

IMG_20190404_213556_compress85.jpg

Finally figured out a way to split the curly/walnut, due to lack of big enough machinery for resawing I cut the piece down the middle and again to make two pieces. However, the bandsaw didn't cooperate (lots of burning). So I used my Ryoba, I did good until the end, which is quite apparent in the pictures.

But it cleaned up nice and I actually like that little mess up, it goes well with the look I'm shooting for.

IMG_20190601_154418_compress60.jpg

IMG_20190531_222131_compress82.jpg

IMG_20190531_222143_compress89.jpg

IMG_20190605_225846_compress35.jpg

And here are the pieces.

I'm currently flattening the Wenge Top, after that onto shaping the body, neck, fretboard, and headstock. Then to routing the pockets, radiusing, fretting, gluing then electronics.

IMG_20190614_103822_compress86.jpg

On 6/15/2019 at 9:42 AM, Slumgigz said:

Also, does anyone know what these gashes in the zebra wood might be. I don't recall them when I first bought it. Now they go entirely through this piece. 

Zebra wood is prone to checks and splits,,,,but those look like nasty jointer chipouts or really rough saw marks that didn't get planed out.

This is going to be a really good looking build based on your wood selections.

SR

On 6/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, ScottR said:

Zebra wood is prone to checks and splits,,,,but those look like nasty jointer chipouts or really rough saw marks that didn't get planed out.

This is going to be a really good looking build based on your wood selections.

SR

That's incredibly similar to what a mechanical engineer who is also a woodworker during his free time told me about the Zebrawood, except for the planing part...I gave him that piece because he's a cool dude and taught me a few things.

Thank you Scott. It took me a while to choose the correct woods for this build due to the fact that I plan on this guitar being my go to in the jam room. Requiring substantial knuckle knocking on the wood with recordings to actually decide...At the moment I just need everything resonant and flush. All that Artsy beautifulness that you and everyone else on this site are way to savvy at. 

On 6/18/2019 at 5:15 AM, mistermikev said:

fun to scroll through and see so many exotic pieces of wood.  some nice mashups there between figured maple and walnut, padauk and wenge.  looking fwd to watching this develop.

They are definitely fun to work with. And thank you. That Wenge top piece turned out to be a hassle because it would tear out while planing. But I think I figured it out. Aside from that, apparently I'm sensitive to it.  So it definitely takes me the most time to work with.

15 minutes ago, Slumgigz said:

They are definitely fun to work with. And thank you. That Wenge top piece turned out to be a hassle because it would tear out while planing. But I think I figured it out. Aside from that, apparently I'm sensitive to it.  So it definitely takes me the most time to work with.

out of curiosity... what planer do you have? 

On 6/19/2019 at 4:04 PM, mistermikev said:

out of curiosity... what planer do you have? 

I was going between my No. 610 Low Angle Jack Rabbet and my 60 1/2 Low Angle Adjustable Block planers at the time. 

Since I would start the hand planing process at night after work and after my lady was asleep I was already exhausted but wanted to get it done.

I finally decided to check the blades and noticed multiple rolls on each. So now I leave my whetstone's out and ready when I need to plane anything.

But I would like to get a No. 7 or 8 Jointer soon, I bet that will make the process much easier in the future

26 minutes ago, Slumgigz said:

I was going between my No. 610 Low Angle Jack Rabbet and my 60 1/2 Low Angle Adjustable Block planers at the time. 

Since I would start the hand planing process at night after work and after my lady was asleep I was already exhausted but wanted to get it done.

I finally decided to check the blades and noticed multiple rolls on each. So now I leave my whetstone's out and ready when I need to plane anything.

But I would like to get a No. 7 or 8 Jointer soon, I bet that will make the process much easier in the future

hehe, had to read that first sentence 3 times before I realized it wasn't a mechanical planer.  hand planer... respect.  I might have to try that sometime... but for now I try to do it with a mechanical planer.  thanks for the response!

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

hehe, had to read that first sentence 3 times before I realized it wasn't a mechanical planer.  hand planer... respect.  I might have to try that sometime... but for now I try to do it with a mechanical planer.  thanks for the response!

Yeah I should've said Hand Planer. I do have a mechanical thickness planer that I run my wood through first, it hasn't torn anything out yet, but it will put some nasty Sniping on the wood if I don't put pieces in front and behind the wood I'm using on the build. It's a DeWalt DW734 12 1/2 Thickness Planer.

Just now, Slumgigz said:

Yeah I should've said Hand Planer. I do have a mechanical thickness planer that I run my wood through first, it hasn't torn anything out yet, but it will put some nasty Sniping on the wood if I don't put pieces in front and behind the wood I'm using on the build. It's a DeWalt DW734 12 1/2 Thickness Planer.

right on.  i have a craftsman that doesn't have any issues with snipe... but it is VERY loud even when only taking off 1/64th so I wonder if it's not the best... also I have to admit it kind of scares me!  might be watching craigslist for something a little better.

8 hours ago, mistermikev said:

right on.  i have a craftsman that doesn't have any issues with snipe... but it is VERY loud even when only taking off 1/64th so I wonder if it's not the best... also I have to admit it kind of scares me!  might be watching craigslist for something a little better.

Holy mother of pearl! My planer is by far my loudest machine, I bet it's past the db limit human ears can handle. And that's just turning it on.

1 minute ago, Slumgigz said:

Holy mother of pearl! My planer is by far my loudest machine, I bet it's past the db limit human ears can handle. And that's just turning it on.

hmm, that's kind of what I was wondering and looking for... "does everyone else's planer get loud".  Perhaps mine isn't too bad.  When it's just running it's not bad at all... and depending on how much it takes off it's not loud... but you take a 1/16 and it's terrifyingly loud!  then again I have a marshall full stack in my office so... not sure my hearing is the best now! 

other issue is it doesn't have a dust/chip port... which makes for a lot of cleanup but I spose all my tools make for that.