Jump to content

Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

MrDeeR

Some electrical question

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I am in the progress of guitar making. Still there is some work left on the body but slowly I am getting to the point where I need to install all the electrical parts (well...about 2-3 months time... it's a slow project). I was think a lot (still thinking) what would be the best way for the wiring. I've got a 'great' idea but I am not sure if it's possible to be carried out the way I want it.

So my guitar will have 2 humbucker + one P90. I wouldn't like to install a traditional pickup selector but instead I want the volume control serve as on off switch like for a radio. I am not sure if this kind of switch available for electric guitars but hopefully I can get something from an electronic hardware store. 

So there would be 3 volume control pot (on/off switch) for each pickup + a master tone pot.

Also, (and that's where it starts complicated) I would like to split the humbucker to work as a single coil if I want it. But I don't really want to install more switches. Is there a push/pull pot available that can serve as an on/off switch as well? Or am I asking too much?

Or if you have any idea how I can work out my plan that would be great.

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 1:31 AM, MrDeeR said:

Sorry I have just realised that the title is not finished. I can't see the way to edit it. "Some electrical question".

Fixed :)

 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:48 AM, MrDeeR said:

I am not sure if this kind of switch available for electric guitars but hopefully I can get something from an electronic hardware store.

They're a bit rarer, but still available as a replacement item from specialist vintage radio restoration sellers. You're unlikely to find them in a bricks-and-mortar store though.

250K log from Radio Daze

500k log from Tubes and More

 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:48 AM, MrDeeR said:

 Is there a push/pull pot available that can serve as an on/off switch as well? Or am I asking too much?

Combined on the rotary volume/on-off switches? Yes, too much to expect from a single pot. You could have the push-pull on the tone pot and have it split both humbuckers simultaneously though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although, on second thought, are you sure there's any value in having a radio-style on/off switch built in to the volume control? The switch will normally disconnect when the volume is wound down to zero, but the pickup will be inaudible with the volume at zero anyway, which kinda renders the entire premise of deselecting the pickup with the volume pot a bit redundant.

If you specified normal volume controls for each pickup instead, that would free up your requirement for independent push-pull coil split on each of the humbucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the main mistakes guys make in creating their ultimate guitar is incorporating too much in the way of electronics...

the signal can be compared to a stream... the water flowing will seek any and all areas where it can leak out, or become turbulent...  While, all the time water arrives at the mouth, seemingly undisturbed... However if it was possible to seal all the places where it leaks out or becomes turbulent.. the volume and intensity at the mouth would increase substantially,,

Similarly... the induced signal.. flowing along the circuit.. every time it encounters some kinda interruption, some signal leakage occurs... the more "junk" ya have in the path, the more of the signal leaks off... Unfortunately, the part of the signal leaking are the higher frequencies... and that's where positive attributes like articulation, clarity, presence, and that "cut through the mix" characteristic all are found... 

Chip away at those attributes enough and you wind up with a beautiful guitar that sound as bland as yesterday's cold grits..

one other factor many aren't aware of.. when you split a Humbucker... you decide the DCR, usually around 7.5k in half... in the split mode, you only have a coli of about 3.? k.. which results in a precipitously lower volume.

Since the human ear perceives lower volume as inferior sound, particularly when compared up again a higher volume... instantly by pulling the switch.. more times than not the split mode is a bit of a disappointment.

were it me, I'd find a considerably less complex circuit and let the signal free...

 

rk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ronkirn said:

One of the main mistakes guys make in creating their ultimate guitar is incorporating too much in the way of electronics...

the signal can be compared to a stream... the water flowing will seek any and all areas where it can leak out, or become turbulent...  While, all the time water arrives at the mouth, seemingly undisturbed... However if it was possible to seal all the places where it leaks out or becomes turbulent.. the volume and intensity at the mouth would increase substantially,,

Similarly... the induced signal.. flowing along the circuit.. every time it encounters some kinda interruption, some signal leakage occurs... the more "junk" ya have in the path, the more of the signal leaks off... Unfortunately, the part of the signal leaking are the higher frequencies... and that's where positive attributes like articulation, clarity, presence, and that "cut through the mix" characteristic all are found... 

Chip away at those attributes enough and you wind up with a beautiful guitar that sound as bland as yesterday's cold grits..

one other factor many aren't aware of.. when you split a Humbucker... you decide the DCR, usually around 7.5k in half... in the split mode, you only have a coli of about 3.? k.. which results in a precipitously lower volume.

Since the human ear perceives lower volume as inferior sound, particularly when compared up again a higher volume... instantly by pulling the switch.. more times than not the split mode is a bit of a disappointment.

were it me, I'd find a considerably less complex circuit and let the signal free...

 

rk

 

 

To be honest, I can totally agree with you. I wanted to make the ultimate guitar that can do anything. But I realized recently what I need is just some good pickups which I like the sound of. That's all. Now I am thinking to drop even the tone control (never use it). The only thing I might do is make a serial/paralell switch. But it's depends on the pick up that I will choose.... still undecided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...