First guitar in a while -kids sized

I’ve been away for several years after a couple rough builds that turned me off from building for a while. Life got in the way and I finally have the bug to start building again. Nothing like the last minute to decide that Santa needs to bring a guitar for my 6 year old son. But with a simple build that is also cleaning out some old scraps of wood it should be doable. 

It will be my version of a S-style, about 7/8 the size of the body and I am leaning towards a 23” scale. Poplar body, maple neck, walnut head and fretboard to be determined. Rickenbacker style bridge for a 1.938” string spread and two humbuckers.

The two areas I could use some opinions are the nut width and the scale length. I think 23” should work, but I also pulled that out of thin air. The nut I am thinking 1.59” to make it a little narrower and thought 1.563” seemed too narrow, but had nothing to compare against.

• Like 2

Fender uses 22-3/4 with 20 frets on the Mini Strat. I'm building an LP for my three-year-old with a 19 in. scale and 22 frets, but the nut width will still be standard LP with 1-11/16 string spread. It would be nice if there were more narrow-spaced bridge options for little guitars.

I wound up switching to a standard hard tail bridge with a 2-1/16” string spacing. On the shorter neck it didn’t make a huge difference in the width. I’ve got the neck roughed out and the body shaped. I’ll start on getting the neck and fret board ready so I can cut the neck pocket and started locating cutouts.

the second picture turned out a little dark, but shows the size difference when sitting on a strat sized body.

05DCDF19-562A-40E9-A6BB-BF527CE7CCBB.jpeg

786065B1-E6A6-495D-B230-B8A2E50C3600.jpeg

i believe I have a strat with a 1 5/8  nut... really is only 3/32 bigger than what you propose and it doesn't feel thin at all.  just my 2 cents.  anywho, nice piece of popular?  if it were me, and because I'm so frugal... I would have built to 24" sl because then it would easily be in the realm of "for me" if it ended up not getting enough attention! cheers and good luck!