Hi - Starting building #6

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

probably an unpopular opinion (I have a lot of those) but I like it most flat.

also... if you are a true perfectionist... after you get it to the point where it looks good... the next step is to loath it and see flaws that are invisible to almost everyone else!

I’m not against a Matt/satin finish, but the limba looks great gloss and I don’t like the idea of matt too and gloss back. Just need to get this right 

Gradually building up the layers again. This time instead of applying, letting a coat dry then wet sanding between coats, I’m putting a coat on, letting it dry, then sanding the following coat in with wet and dry and wiping off excess. Not sure why I didn’t do that in the first place because it worked for both the v and the single cut. 

This is after sanding in 1200. I’ve got p2000 up to p5000 so I will keep adding coats until I get to my finest paper before buffing, though looking at it as is, satin does definitely work with ziricote 

mTJmrwlgvYev_J3jpR1YzeK6csqU_mqDMfKNKn9S

• Like 4

On 6/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, mistermikev said:

probably an unpopular opinion (I have a lot of those) but I like it most flat.

also... if you are a true perfectionist... after you get it to the point where it looks good... the next step is to loath it and see flaws that are invisible to almost everyone else!

Yep, I got the orbital out and sanded it back to bare wood again tonight. This one just doesn't want to be finished but I'm hoping for third time lucky. 

21 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Yep, I got the orbital out and sanded it back to bare wood again tonight. This one just doesn't want to be finished but I'm hoping for third time lucky. 

are we competing for guitar with most times refinished before finished?  Think you might have stolen the lead just now... but there's still hope for me.

10 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

are we competing for guitar with most times refinished before finished?  Think you might have stolen the lead just now... but there's still hope for me.

Well that certainly isn't a competition that I want to be competing in, let alone winning. 

So this time, I sanded it back with 220 on the orbital, then scuff sanded 320 by hand (220 is as high as my orbital pads go) Then I sanded the first coat of poly in with 400 grit wet paper and wiped off the excess after a few mins. Touch wood this looks a lot more consistent that previous efforts. If this time is successful, I don't know how much of a sheen I'm going to get because I'm nearly out of poly 😥

A8mvdq1p95l8-zXhXtotZG7m9lnZSvFMwineXBqT

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

220 is as high as my orbital pads go

Do you mean those you have at home or those available having the dust extracting holes in the right places?

If the latter, there's both blank (do your own holes) and mesh pads available. I have some unholy(?) 3M foamy pads up to 6000...

I bought these a couple of builds ago and they're really good but yes they only go up to 220 grit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPTA-Sanding-8-Holes-Sandpaper-Assorted/dp/B07KR2BJWG/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?keywords=3m+sanding+discs+125mm+320+grit&qid=1560245342&s=gateway&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1

I saw that 3m do a variety of sanding discs, but I struggle to find retailers/sites that actually sell a lot of their stuff.

4 minutes ago, Lwguitar said:

Just throwing this out there...

I freaking love that satin finish! If I ever do a ziricote top that’s probably what I will shoot for.

You're not wrong, it does look good in satin. This is what I was originally dreaming of 

770707357_ScreenShot2019-06-11at15_24_08.thumb.png.7ffa4767624c93bffcffc4a0406274d7.png

But I think I'll be happy ifI can get a nice looking satin finish, in fact there are more examples of satin PRS that high gloss.

46982227_ScreenShot2019-06-11at15_25_42.png.a8346b9166eba03ce4574b58f9cb3ee8.png

2 hours ago, Lwguitar said:

Just throwing this out there...

I freaking love that satin finish! If I ever do a ziricote top that’s probably what I will shoot for.

I've said it too much or I would have said exactly this... again!

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I saw that 3m do a variety of sanding discs, but I struggle to find retailers/sites that actually sell a lot of their stuff.

I've bought mine at a car paint supplier. Mirka Abranet is also very good, available to 2500 grit.

Another place apart from hardware stores and the paint store was a marine shop. The finer grits apparently work well on gelcoat.

Edited by Bizman62

Thanks chaps, I’ll have a look and see if I can find some higher grits, 320-4oo on the orbital will definitely save me a bit of time. 

Got some more poly on at tea time and that will have to be that because I’m out. So after a few hours I cleaned up the neck heal, did a bit of fine sanding on the neck and got some danish oil on it. 

Will leave it now until I get back from download and give it a hand buff with some compound, hopefully I’ll be able to get a slight sheen at least, if not I’ll have to knock the back and sides a bit to match. I’ll get a couple more coats of danish on the neck too.

92fKGN1o3Sv0Cw8VI1adUaHkEki0y1a_3jdmFu4g

OJgpw9dEpCfa4Uc1QMl9AAAOPVa8AmEpMgMffvQQ

Cci9o9dSXmufv5GgjKJgCXHH4lHNzT3WG9OIQsDI

JgrZ7PwPrmNW_AlpF_UfSL59daMAMDtZ8732otIX

Back from Download festival, one of the wettest, smelliest weekends I've ever known. The poly has had a god few days to cure, I've given it a bit of a buff with some 2.5k then 4k compound and buffing wheels on my hand drill, it's only going to be a satin. I had a couple of spots that came up much glossier than others so I ended up knocking them back with some 4k sand paper to blend these areas in. Now I'm reassembling. 

IDDvd2s5D52qQ5uU-j1LOCMU040z6KVfQEv8uN8w

3oyQ6PY3HJFawSRMMCnIwsHvD7ij8hE-fu_-m1o_

1fU1shs44o7lP_KqVNXUwg5FC7CfoyD16ZfD8nRm

Now I'm just waiting on some gold Sperzel bushings to tie in with the chrome with gold highlights I'm going for. With any luck I'll get home from work and find they've been delivered so I can get it strung and wired up. I was hoping to get some gold nuts for the mini toggles too but I've had no luck finding any the right size.

IxPERu1aKYItTnnRj77UJActzITqduI1-D9LsNoD

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps, some photos and final spec of my baby below.

Spec
Top wood: Carved Ziricote 18mm
body: 1-piece black limba 29mm
Control cover: black limba
Neck: 1-piece blank limba, 20mm D from nut to 17th fret
headstock: Ziricote with white mop inlay
fretboard: Ziricote, MOP 2-headed snake thing inlay plus 2mm white mop dots
scale: 25"
Frets: 24 medium jumbo nickel silver
Finish:
 - Body: natural satin poly clear coat
 - Neck: Danish oil
Bridge: PRS adjustable stoptail
Tuners: Sperzel trim lock 3x3 chrome/gold
Nut: Graphtec, 43mm
Pickups: PRS 57/08 neck, HFS bridge
pickup selection: 3-way toggle + individual coil splits
Controls: 1 vol w/treble bleed, 1 tone and switchcraft toggle, ebony lampshades, ivory style pickup rings and switch-tip
Weight: 8 lb 4oz

68U0qwgSpVfScd0YADCLXtPqj7ffEY70yqkB0vS9

OSBCqm3Q2pQNQQ1a7SfCi0CnpmtkwCd-U9TkuZXA

9k8CKtQUxKYp3HpMpgO8pZ6I1hHTLoxiGbI6yycB

btjmHbgwho0-rL9LbX8EX3Cmq_gLMQtuSuQkFpm6SbY0UTepyxcDRM-mLMOstUlLz3omaGxdX-CkV8XFyOdzuh358SJfnpszms5TNGIAohKiI9PzJGRHLohv

ofp5yPdU6kveTOHvj7ZTuYCfobXAmBZ69ddKDK6B

_v3NYKKf4eSYBlS4Z-Tb_7j9UUQm9-1zorijTi4Z

5snIaPpDFXe44uV2Zwu7g9qNNeUXF_x3nSFc9yau

zX4iEbDYsG9X_7gJ1Kl2h6W-xF7gCSRQcQIQHL_afPBhhg1qnPvJFfNdETBLLSzsiJ2a8Z8KwPnC7B1a

BHrsKN2cAjDKYcipmIhWEssIJSHzY78jyJgnOC14

• Like 2

I'll definitely need to learn to carve the way you do. Maybe seeing such well carved one in flesh might help. Could you send that one to me? I'd bring it back next time I visit England...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...