Angled Headstock by Laminating?

HungryWookie

So I have some mahogany for a neck that is not thick enough for a single cut angled  headstock (les Paul style) But it is much longer than I need. So I was considering laminating a block of the mahogany to where the headstock will be, thus giving me the double thickness to create an angled headstock without a scarf joint.  I have searched for this idea but haven’t seen anything.  Yes, I know I could just do a scarf joint instead, but do we see any major issues with this possible plan? Thanks!

-HungryWookie 

All sorts of alarm bells are ringing in my head although I'd have to work through which ones are real issues and which ones are actually OK.

Immediate thoughts are:

You would have all the challenges of a scarfe joint with none of the strength advantages.  The headstock would remain in a poor grain direction with the additional variability of a glue joint right across it.

Like a scarfe joint, the joint would have to be perfect, otherwise the 'a titebond joint is as strong as the wood itself' is absolutely not true

Because the neck would continue to where the headstock width widens, your neck blank would have to be headstock width to start off with

Two of the tuner holes would be cut through the joint.  Not sure how much joint area that leaves!

I can't begin to think how you would clamp it (although I suppose that's the same with a normal scarfe joint)

My gut feeling says don't do it  - but maybe I'm wrong ...