Pickup choice for upcoming design, help needed

I've decided to build something along the lines of the Charvel Surfcaster and am contemplating what pickups to put in. To stay traditional to that style, I could go with lipstick tubes. For something a little different but I think will fit the style would be P90's. It's not really a heavy metal guitar, but suits most other styles of rock, blues, and some jazz. This is one that I plan to sell if it turns out well, does anyone think the P90's may take away from the appeal?

They can sound both very sweet and very rude...and maybe most of all, very vintage.

I've never mounted them at an angle, but they are quite simple to mount. As long as you set your template at an angle and the mounting screw holes at the same angle, it should pose no problems at all.

SR

just my two cents and probably not worth one but...

I read that your selling and I just don't think lipsticks nor p90s do that great.  Sure, there are people who love them (like me and both!) but I would think practically speaking there might be better options... for instance:

gfs offers a dual lipstick in a humbucker format (get to put lipsticks in and if later buyer wants to swap out it'd be much easier). 

Haven't heard the seymour rail/90, but anything seymour is good imo, so is  a nice option for p90s...

bootstrap pickups - I've bought a few pickups from them and haven't heard them yet but they get good reviews and def look quality to me... they offer an interesting set of humbucker sized p90s here: https://bootstrappickups.com/products/bootstrap-skookum-90-clean-for-humbucker

just a thought.  cheers and looking fwd to seeing this idea come to life!

The Bootstrap stuff looks great, but I seem to imagine there being some issues getting them (I'm a brit) probably well worth a look at though! I quite like the sound of the P90's on the Axetec website, as a bonus they are a little less deep than some that I have seen, so less routing.

https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_074.htm

Sound samples are pretty good.

Edited by ShatnersBassoon
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 6:39 PM, ShatnersBassoon said:

The Bootstrap stuff looks great, but I seem to imagine there being some issues getting them (I'm a brit) probably well worth a look at though! I quite like the sound of the P90's on the Axetec website, as a bonus they are a little less deep than some that I have seen, so less routing.

https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_074.htm

Sound samples are pretty good.

yeah, the shipping might be up there but you might want to inquire as the guy over there is super nice.  as I understand, axetec = irongear = artec.  Lot of folks having artec build to their specs... gfs, calig, etc.  I've heard some good reviews about irongear,

recently got some artec lipsticks that - while they aren't anywhere near seymour or dimarzio or chandler, etc... I'm very satisfied with them.  They sound better to me than my gfs lipsticks but that could be the guitar or that the fact that they are 90mm instead of the shorter strat style.  The one thing I've seen with chinese pickups is that they work great for the bridge as they tend to be overwound and dark... but in the neck they tend to be muddy as a result -but this is nothing a simple magnet replacement won't cure imo.

3 hours ago, Ronkirn said:

Quite possibly the finest, most articulate, well balanced and most versatile of all pups can be found here,.,, http://wildepickups.com

And at the insanely low prices Becky still asks, they are the "deal of the Century"

rk

i am a big fan of bill lawrence rip.  I have a gibson bill lawrence from an old sg90 that I love.  Also have a dual-rail that is pretty nice.  Don't think they do p90s tho... I didn't see them.

cheers!