Project - RAD Unfinished Business

52 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

@RestorationAD thanks for sharing, I really like the sound of Arch/Matheos. Anyone that sounds like Bruce Dickinson gets a 🤘from me :D 

For some reason Arch always gets that comparison. For me he is somewhere closer to Halford and Tate. Again I struggle with his insistence on blowing through his full range on every line but on this album he seems to be better about staying in the scope of the music.

10 hours ago, mistermikev said:

never heard of this band... not a huge metal guy these days but it very much reminds me vocals-wise of dream theatre.  very good voice.  will have to check some more out.  thanks for exposing me.

For me the two albums that started American Prog Metal were Queensryche "Rage for Order" and Fates Warning "Awaken the Guardian", I believe Dream Theater was heavily influenced by both.

2 minutes ago, RestorationAD said:

For some reason Arch always gets that comparison. For me he is somewhere closer to Halford and Tate. Again I struggle with his insistence on blowing through his full range on every line but on this album he seems to be better about staying in the scope of the music.

For me the two albums that started American Prog Metal were Queensryche "Rage for Order" and Fates Warning "Awaken the Guardian", I believe Dream Theater was heavily influenced by both.

queensryche... now there is a guy with some pipes.  I saw them get booed off stage at 'and justice for all' and was probably the only person in the crowd who thought they killed it.  had never heard them before that.  the masses are so silly - don't know what they like until everyone says they like it!

lately for me... I've been really enjoying devin townsend... another guy with amazing pipes.  I don't love everything he does, and def am more of an "80's metal guy", but have to admit that some of the prog bands i've heard are getting me back into it... including above.

Love that 2-song Arch ep. What a stunning comeback.

RAD we have similar prog tastes. I;m not sure progmetal started at Rage, but holy crap is that one killer recording. I've been watching QR since the ep and nobody knew them. They opened for KISS early in The Warning tour and I was the only one on the whole floor standing in a sea of seated KISS heads.

• Like 1

I bought Rage for Order at a grocery store a few weeks after it came out. It is still one of my favorite albums. I saw them for the first time on Operation on the And justice for all... tour.  What a show. No one booed at that show.

\m/

Now hopefully I can wrap these projects up soon so I can move on to some new stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

to quote victor creed- oooh shiny!

regarding QR/kiss tour-i saw that show 11/29/84 @broome county areana binghampton ny. Alot of Syracuse metal heads made that trip more for QR than Kiss. i might even have a bootleg cassette of that show but if I recall correctly the audio quality sucks-you had to hide microphones at kiss shows- that is for sure. 

i still hold that QR ep as one of the best metal albums ever- prog or not. i wasnt really a QR fan much after the second album- I sort of didnt like the direction a lot of metal went after 82/83ish. i am sort of stuck in that 67-83 time zone with smatterings of stuff here and there from late 80s, 90s etc. occasionally i find stuff on you tube or thru the youngins that work my fav local pkg store- I just got turned onto The Sword recently. Modern day sabbath. too bad I am like 10 years behind finding out about them. 

On 5/28/2019 at 1:45 PM, mistermikev said:

queensryche... now there is a guy with some pipes.  I saw them get booed off stage at 'and justice for all' and was probably the only person in the crowd who thought they killed it.  had never heard them before that.  the masses are so silly - don't know what they like until everyone says they like it!

lately for me... I've been really enjoying devin townsend... another guy with amazing pipes.  I don't love everything he does, and def am more of an "80's metal guy", but have to admit that some of the prog bands i've heard are getting me back into it... including above.

Devin used to blow his voice out regularly on tour, and then around (2001, the time Terria and the first DTB album I think) he started to use his voice correctly instead of putting his foot to the floor every night. Still, the sacrifices made to get the recording of City done was nothing short of amazing. Total jet engine vocals.

I wore out two tape copies of Operation: Mindcrime when I was a teenager. Still an awesome album from start to finish to this day. Geoff Tate can't quite hit the mark these days but still has that distinctiveness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Devin used to blow his voice out regularly on tour, and then around (2001, the time Terria and the first DTB album I think) he started to use his voice correctly instead of putting his foot to the floor every night. Still, the sacrifices made to get the recording of City done was nothing short of amazing. Total jet engine vocals.

I wore out two tape copies of Operation: Mindcrime when I was a teenager. Still an awesome album from start to finish to this day. Geoff Tate can't quite hit the mark these days but still has that distinctiveness.

not surprised... i listen to kingdom over and over... my lanta that guys voice still gives me chills every time.  I wore out my tape of touching tongues... no idea what he's saying but man alive can he sing.  back then I didn't even realize he played guitar.  rarely a singer that sounds equally good with that screaming tone as with a smooth note.

afa queensryche... one of my fav recordings of him was "We're stars" in the 80s... "Hearing aid".  only a few bars but man... I don't think he got enough credit for his powerful voice.  another guy who can just scream or go clean and equally great. 

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Hey Brett - you had a thread or something going on around here someplace didn't you? 😁

Its all good. I like metal. I like the Sword (even though the last two albums have been trippy). And I haven't updated it enough so this is all good.

• Like 1

You sure do know how to rub your wood shiny!

And leaving the protective film on the pickguard is a very polite gesture on an instrument to be sold.

• Like 1