Hello and The Beginning of My 2nd Build

On 2/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, ADFinlayson said:

That’s seriously good work 💪 A lot of people, myself included, would have called that a fail and walked away. 

Thanks! I'm really happy with how it turned out

Well I broke out the blowtorch today to start finishing, doing some strange stuff here. I wanted to try out some shou sugi ban, and decided that a sunburst effect cone with a blowtorch could be cool so that's what I went with. Came out exactly how I was hoping, a kind of rustic looking tobacco burst effect.

ef8KWg0yi_ea5E9Jpmw4WUdkCJuwQ6tN32L2_Ke0

Did the back first in case anything went wrong

YRZLkCRlwdmTxD0M-1O6rGj1L-eiPcKT39X1cV_S

Then I did the front and sides, burnt a bit extra as its really easy to sand back

ldfcyOO2-LRrWwtMeAc3pzoY2K3xV4xF_CAmhnQL

Sanded it back to the burst effect I wanted then wet it down to raise the grain for some more sanding. This is is when wet down.

f12MHh8gp47ml_O6ERRYYGzCp9ou-3-euwFZCBlC

Also did the headstock cap and couldnt resist getting the pic of it all together

Just went through with some clear grain filler on both the neck and body. My plan from here is actually the do a gloss clearcoat on the body instead of oil like is normal with shou sugi ban, not sure how its going to react but fingers crossed it all goes well!

• Like 1

Well the weather delayed spraying clear coat for a bit, we've had a pretty crazy last week or so here getting about 2 feet of snow so I had to wait a while to get a warmer day to spray. Finally had a day in the mid 40's so I went for it and closed my garage and got two area heaters going for a while and got the shop up to the low 60's. Went with Poly for this one as I have a bit of experience with it, and have no experience with laquer. Spraying worked out alright, a couple of drips and a bit of orange peel, gonna be a fun time sanding and polishing this one...

gsyim39JbdfWSZKjNJAMi7lo_nsFHNfegjbLeuW_

The headstock probably came out the smoothest

q5e6JWLLn8usjQNsrPJq1kpBzJXk9_kQRVjdQr1M

4nFUBq-RF8W-NMGbFISb9foMP7BYdY7sDf4wX4TX

The body has a bit more orange peel, but hopefully wont be too bad to level out

W0fx5YcpWQfimsgk1H1fEIv8uo1V2tzMY98gcc21

And I tried to line up the light to show the couple drips at the top of the back.

Overall I'm really happy with how this is looking finished with the whole "sunburn" thing.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:18 AM, mistermikev said:

looking great.  the nice thing about poly is you can abuse it with sandpaper and get it smooth and shoot a final coat.  little elbow grease and another shot and she will be smooth as silk.  keep up the great work.

A bunch of sanding from 800-7000 grit followed by a load more polishing did the trick! Next time though I think I'll invest in some high grit random orbital sander pads, as doing it all by had took about 4 hours and didn't come out quite perfect. 

Also finally got the neck glued in place and got the first coats of oil on the neck, super happy with how it all feels now that its together.

9-wXpfddQ2WZKnhYum-1Zm3xvRY5aDBl7pCkhl3b

kFUJ2UOIA7fs1ov6PVm8qtVqv5I1V731IJm96Giv-V-yAJ8wT86XkFMYnoAKdvx7Ec0ZUI79xlBgF26oxTJpcmr_qLw-z5H7OAmVHkIcd4jWRjQPD9hxAx9h4FNc8M54ABknOjpc8J48nrRjZ_aTiewDk21JFbcokjEhL0bo7NoM5XMRd06YcsrHxWi2nB-AlU6Zqwthhd1qhCrwYOaBxMXCHo3Z1aoghiIZezTt1xO_E29h10p9YiogUbsNj5b5GNNf8NH3nczNJ_nbm4p4ohOci2sdxAZ9SZhcxZd0CGyrpiNTpKpQlK9JH0_2G9iwAEB_yx0VK0jGFbQC5wQHnv_9z8yPHXqWYtPHuQi37QNGJvN0PUVlqpn8x2DZh4AAIqGUhy4lVO0aTPNyLud0FmTBl2UJM1fa9eKQZ9q3uQaM_mqBVszbGNDKEsOhQ5wSNYEWexVX-nIZ4VQFQeV1UIf0h60trvoiGsBJV1lhLQk5wcNRvuTtcM-XhzuG9JBremu-vcEx-mGkkqkNZ9sa9Y88Zti2BGVwn_PB96w3yGey7wlG3Txe2UhI87e5jrFX8ukyy2Pa_NoEsj6inBTzeCYJt8tIlHcaNrjrIW0ieaspYcPL3aS1YGswIPPKnHKAZAVBaSiUcCO4X-AVqGf8Ey8gAGJmtlFT=w1258-h943-no (1257Ã943)

Body is nice and shiny!

Z9-ZbsJ9Do9cQTZAce25xZndX5OMtyzUvJazqVPD

Oil brought the flaming out in the fret board nicely

j2v2QuCl_5mEgUz88lkULrwh9NnsQHKve8muVvrI

pIBQekz4vhy3XODDH0LYOGZ_HniSxI-7Fj7dA3Fw

The patch is still looking decent finished, grain doesn't match great but its nice and smooth.

xKEaFl8N0_5E_5-UMTzOI0Jc6QO5o-XGSOrjTTXO

HauPTlu50N0WnDiQv0bqU0KBKiwiuoIFNXCRb8WC

Couple little bits I haven't shown on here yet, made some 2 tone side dots out of some off cuts from the neck, and a truss rod cover out of some extra flame maple, with my initials burnt in using my soldering iron.

Now I've just got  a few more coats of oil and a little more touch up polishing to do before I get into wiring this thing up, still deciding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GCmtb said:

A bunch of sanding from 800-7000 grit followed by a load more polishing did the trick! Next time though I think I'll invest in some high grit random orbital sander pads, as doing it all by had took about 4 hours and didn't come out quite perfect. 

Also finally got the neck glued in place and got the first coats of oil on the neck, super happy with how it all feels now that its together.

9-wXpfddQ2WZKnhYum-1Zm3xvRY5aDBl7pCkhl3b

kFUJ2UOIA7fs1ov6PVm8qtVqv5I1V731IJm96Giv-V-yAJ8wT86XkFMYnoAKdvx7Ec0ZUI79xlBgF26oxTJpcmr_qLw-z5H7OAmVHkIcd4jWRjQPD9hxAx9h4FNc8M54ABknOjpc8J48nrRjZ_aTiewDk21JFbcokjEhL0bo7NoM5XMRd06YcsrHxWi2nB-AlU6Zqwthhd1qhCrwYOaBxMXCHo3Z1aoghiIZezTt1xO_E29h10p9YiogUbsNj5b5GNNf8NH3nczNJ_nbm4p4ohOci2sdxAZ9SZhcxZd0CGyrpiNTpKpQlK9JH0_2G9iwAEB_yx0VK0jGFbQC5wQHnv_9z8yPHXqWYtPHuQi37QNGJvN0PUVlqpn8x2DZh4AAIqGUhy4lVO0aTPNyLud0FmTBl2UJM1fa9eKQZ9q3uQaM_mqBVszbGNDKEsOhQ5wSNYEWexVX-nIZ4VQFQeV1UIf0h60trvoiGsBJV1lhLQk5wcNRvuTtcM-XhzuG9JBremu-vcEx-mGkkqkNZ9sa9Y88Zti2BGVwn_PB96w3yGey7wlG3Txe2UhI87e5jrFX8ukyy2Pa_NoEsj6inBTzeCYJt8tIlHcaNrjrIW0ieaspYcPL3aS1YGswIPPKnHKAZAVBaSiUcCO4X-AVqGf8Ey8gAGJmtlFT=w1258-h943-no (1257Ã943)

Body is nice and shiny!

Z9-ZbsJ9Do9cQTZAce25xZndX5OMtyzUvJazqVPD

Oil brought the flaming out in the fret board nicely

j2v2QuCl_5mEgUz88lkULrwh9NnsQHKve8muVvrI

pIBQekz4vhy3XODDH0LYOGZ_HniSxI-7Fj7dA3Fw

The patch is still looking decent finished, grain doesn't match great but its nice and smooth.

xKEaFl8N0_5E_5-UMTzOI0Jc6QO5o-XGSOrjTTXO

HauPTlu50N0WnDiQv0bqU0KBKiwiuoIFNXCRb8WC

Couple little bits I haven't shown on here yet, made some 2 tone side dots out of some off cuts from the neck, and a truss rod cover out of some extra flame maple, with my initials burnt in using my soldering iron.

Now I've just got  a few more coats of oil and a little more touch up polishing to do before I get into wiring this thing up, still deciding

looks pretty smooth to me.  nice work.  what kind of poly did you use?

16 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

looks pretty smooth to me.  nice work.  what kind of poly did you use?

It's SprayMax 2K high gloss, was recommended to me by a friend of mine who does a lot of automotive paint work and it worked really well. It's in an aerosol but it's catalyzed so it dries very hard in not much time, just a bit expensive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GCmtb said:

It's SprayMax 2K high gloss, was recommended to me by a friend of mine who does a lot of automotive paint work and it worked really well. It's in an aerosol but it's catalyzed so it dries very hard in not much time, just a bit expensive.

May have to try that some time.  very nice.  thanks for the tip.

And she's done! Well she still needs a bit more setup work but I couldn't help but play for a while. Wiring is pretty simple and went off without any real issues and I'm really happy with how the coil split works and sounds, it's my first time trying one of those.

ATn4jGLOitK1yy32qQuz05pXImiBvgVLN6neqoAT

pAzuQoM9bDzm1CD5mWYe7SphPRfb7GV003WQ-zCP

OFIdYyX5U0UNzUH0otBRxykjXEC9GzQg2eLnKblk

Sl2t9-CbuQlok9LCZaSc-Fam1ts_dxGVz3-6-AmZ

EvjrBh949qsQOZPWldp00aHPTohHYXj-uOeuuqwa

Might have to get some better quality photos later, just have some quick phone shots for now as I want to get back to playing this thing! Though I suck at bass...

• Like 2