Build #2 - The Osprey

ZekeB

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

I think it's going to be a shame to paint that.

You think so? I was just wondering how nice that would look whirl painted. Or EVH striped. Or pink or black. Or maybe a carbon fibre shrinkcoat film or whatever they use for making things look like being made out of carbon fibre. Anything that would hide those pesky stripes that match and contrast the binding so nicely.

• Like 1

If it was mine, I would single-handedly stand in front of it and defend it from even an advancing ARMY of paint sprayers.  There are still some things worth laying down your life for....

Seriously, it's one of the most 'together' designs and colour combinations I can remember ever seeing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZekeB said:

I've been thinking about that as well, Scott.  Ultimately, I'll be selling this guy and black seems to be the demand.  

That's all that matters!

I will admit there are any number of stunning painted guitars. I always talk myself into believing the pain is covering up boring wood.

I got into this guitar building thing because I love what happens to wood when you carve and finish it. I was doing that when it was suggested that I ought to be carving a guitar if I'm going be doing all that carving anyway.  Bottom line is I'm always looking at the wood and hating to see it covered with paint happens to me all the time.

Pay it no mind.

SR

• Like 1

Will the black be paint? If so, how about using clearcoat for primer? It would prevent the paint to get sucked into the pores which  would enable to relatively easily remove the paint in case the owner changed his mind about the colour.

Using a white primer on top and laquer mixed with a black toner.  The back will be natural with a clear coat.  Made the control cover out of wenge which turned out really nice.  Using the same spieces on the cover doesn't look right unless you can perfectly match the grain

I'm at the point where i need to fret my fret my fretboard but I totally forgot a headstock plate cover.  I really didn't know what to do so I had some scrap zebrawood and ebony and thought I might be able to tie the pickguard in for a little more unity.  I got a free un-square spindle sander and I jigged it up multiple ways to help shape the angle with a little ramp and plane this little guy with my fret slot jig.  I figured its like the same thing as a drum sander just smaller and it was pretty fun.

I'll post a video of it in action.  Spindle sanders are pretty cheap compared to other big tools and to me it seems using one side of the drum against a fence give you some really good results.  I think I'll use it to make the angle to rest against the nut as well.  I'll try to post a video.  It was a good little discovery for me.  Its gentle enough to get things very thin.

20190831_222018.jpg

20190831_225944.jpg

20190831_231945.jpg

20190831_233954.jpg

20190831_235514.jpg

20190831_235625.jpg

3 hours ago, ZekeB said:

Here's a short video of the setup in action.

That's similar to what we've been using at the end of the giant belt sander for thicknessing the headstock. The backing plate as a slider is something I'll have to try to remember the next time as it keeps the piece at a given angle

I think its a no go on my headstock plate.  it conflicts with my inlay too much to me.  I was fun thought :)

Idea of the finish.  Doing a nitro gloss finish.  Will shellac for the sealer just in case it doesn't work out.  May do some gold knobs instead of black. Not sure yet.  I enjoy the simple balance of it right now.  I think if the binding pops against the body it won't need gold knobs.  If it does its an easy fix.

image.thumb.png.aca775f33c38d3df5648e49a67dbc25b.pngimage.thumb.png.2be16fe198a4bcf2c115472423dbcd05.png

Playing around with my hardware that finally came in.  My headstock was a little to thick as well.  All good now.  Getting anxious to see the end.  Hard when you're work slow as molasses.  Miles better than my first build.  Just waiting on my pickups.  They are blackbirds from oil city pickups.  The guy, Ash, is pretty cool and helpful too.

20190908_014303.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZekeB said:

I've got a meeting about the finish today discussing a natural look.  I'm of the same mind for the natural look.  If we go that road I'll do a nitro gloss.  I would like it if the wood contrasts more with the binding.  Just seems like a missed opportunity if we cover it up

What about a black grain filler with clear gloss over it, that would make the body wood stand out against the binding a bit more and still have a nice natural wood look. It'll look amazing whatever, is that a signum bridge I see there? 

• Like 1

Just how much darker will that wood go with a clear finish? And what will that finish be?

Oils tend to have a brownish hue which adds warmth to the natural wood colour whereas lacquers are more or less glass clear. Applying some dye (amber?) into the lacquer might result a similar tone.

22 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Just how much darker will that wood go with a clear finish? And what will that finish be?

Oils tend to have a brownish hue which adds warmth to the natural wood colour whereas lacquers are more or less glass clear. Applying some dye (amber?) into the lacquer might result a similar tone.

I'm going to do a laquer befor the nitro.  Last time it game that deeper gold hue.  I think that might look decent.  I'll try a piece with tru oil as well

• Like 1

Golden hue sounds yummy!

Forgive me my ignorance: In Finnish nitro belongs to the lacquer family as well as all polys but you said you may do lacquer before the nitro. To me that's confusing. Are you possibly talking about shellac there?