Build #2 - The Osprey

ZekeB

7 minutes ago, ScottR said:

With the exception of a couple sets of Seymour Duncan's and a couple sets that Restoration AD made, all my builds have gotten Kleins.

https://www.kleinpickups.com/

I've used '58, '59, and wicked PAF's, several combinations of P-90's and Tele sets and the Jazz Cat strat. And I've got a set of Hot P-90s and a custom wound strat middle wound hot enough to keep up with P-90s ready to go in this current build.

Did you say Ash owns Oil City?

SR

Ah cool.  Looks like they have quite a few options.

Yep, Ash is the owner.  Incredibly helpful and knowledgeable guy.   He does custom windings as well.

I was inspired by some posts and decided to do some more experimenting on some scraps of mahogany I have with Analine dye and danish oil.  Compared danish oil to shellac and there seems to be a slight difference.  Danish has the same deep luster but contrasts the colors a little more in the corner I tried.

image.thumb.png.4ca5e5593d796742df4ff6b54dc90bc3.png

Ok, for the dye experiment.  The pieces were not sealed but you'll get the idea.  there at 320 and porous.

I'll compare these to the piece above so you can see the contrast:

image.png.52819b790f30dcfba6c4a7b347333d95.png

1st Amber - Analine dye applied and Danish Oil on top:

All Three with a fresh coat.  Left Red Sanded back with amber, middle natural, right is Amber, bottom is black sanded back with amber:

image.png.8735df451d80d7ee6441ad742c789113.png

that slight blue hue is the danish being sucked into the wood.  Use your imagination to fill in the gaps.  

My conclusions are the amber really brought out the red in the mahogany.  I was expecting really really gold effect but it was beautiful.  In all honesty I didn't expect much from black.  Its such a hard contrast compared to the other that it was really just there and I grabbed it.  What took me by surprise was the rings.  The Rings on the natural are light but the other with the black dye got into those spots which made those rings dark.  This was something I also really liked.  Finally the Red die sanded back with amber.  The red sanded back added a 3D effect I've heard others talk about. 

The black has an aged look to it that I don't quite think would work on this one but I really dig those rings.  I think If i sanded it back more I'd keep some of the lightness.  

I'm going to try all three now.  Add the black, sand it way back, add the red, sand it back a little less, and then the amber.  

And here's the the last one.  I used the other side where the shellac was since it was already sealed with filler.  Black first sanded back quite a bit with 220, red sanded by lighter grit 320, then amber. 

image.png.e1c2b844e29c8a9d1ebc76f2bb47d801.png

So, I couldn't keep the black in those lines without leaving a lot left over.  I didn't want the age look so those didn't come through as strong which i think was for the better seeing the contrast.  

Here's the comparison with the guitar.  Fretboard will not change in color.  Nitro will also be added to these guys.  

image.png.037beb57ea08a2feb75a584d86b7db13.pngimage.png.45d0015ea4db005903c4fdbc024e6bb5.png

image.png.74e47b4400bd56ba4e87f64068ed736d.png

• Like 3

Thanks guys.  I'll be honest I did like the separation of light and dark with the lighter colors but I wanted to pull in the red in the inlays to something and have contrast with the binding which is why i went darker.  I'll go back and clean up the binding to bring it out more.  I think that will get me where i want to be.  

• Like 1

Just a quick weekend update.  Sprayed and leveled shellac.  Really added to the color.  Waiting for next weekend to shoot the nitro.  We get our first cold front saturday.  

Set the pickup covers and I think their going to look great.  No shellac on this pic though.

20191006_134404.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...