Firebird "ish"

pshupe

Indeed. Seeing a Firebird done properly, but with different woods is a treat. Korina is something that 'birds never got and really should have done. I'm especially interested in the acetone wipe over the cellulose nitrate inlays....especially since the material is usually super reactive to such a strong solvent normally. At least, as far as I recall. Does it cause shrinkback similarly to how aged inlays turn?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not responding to this post.  I have a friend that has a boat load of Korina and even the exotic wood places have it priced quite reasonably in comparison to Honduran Mahogany and other exotics.  Regarding the acetone wipe.  I have done this on a few builds normally with rosewood fret boards.  It seems to not affect the inlay much other than it melts it slightly into the pocket.  It fills slight gaps and shines up the inlay a bit as well.  But on the Ziricote it really took the brownish hue out of the wood and stained the inlay a golden colour, which after the fact I really liked.  It was a little shocking in first light though.

Regards Peter,