So I had to throw out some office furniture...

Hi again!

That CNC project I posted renderings of a few months back is still in the works. But in the meantime our office just got rid of several 63/64" MDF desks and on a whim I threw one of them onto the ShopBot...

DeskTone.jpg.92e1b74fdaf20013c2130021e1e8690c.jpg

The shape was inspired by some of the exotic designs that came out of budget Japanese manufacturers in the 60's and true to those influences, I'm going to load it with a ton of extra dials and switches. Going to set the neck and mount the pickups and bridge tonight. Woohoo!

Incidentally I know MDF has more disadvantages than advantages but I never realized how easy it was to work. Cuts like butter!

Good news: Finished.

OfficecasterGMFinished.thumb.jpg.a66fdb5d79903606a0f34b4984725f99.jpg

Bad news: Sounds awful.  😑

Actually between the pickups and MDF construction it sounds excellent - those GFS "crunch" pickups have a very rich and flexible sound.

BUT... it doesn't stay in tune (I'm guessing because of the very flimsy neck tenon I was forced to use due to the thickness of the material) and has a LOT of hum. I'd ordinarily attribute it to the lack of shielding, except my music-box guitar from the previous post is even less shielded and almost noiseless. Instead I'll just blame the pots.... first because I bought cheap Chinese ones on Amazon instead of the usual Korean ones from GFS and second because when I flip the blow switch and bypass the pots, 90% of the noise disappears.

Lessons learned from this failure...

1" MDF is a great material sonically, less so structurally

EZ-Lock tuners won't help you if the neck won't stay straight

GFS pickups sound a LOT better than their price suggests

Cheap pots can ruin your sound

Poster frame plexiglass is a terrible thing to use for a pickguard. :)

Sketchup can't do curves very well no matter how many segments you use