Manny DeLuna and the dark side of the moon.

ScottR

I have a buddy, who has been saving an endcut of black limba for.....something. Mostly because it looks cool and he couldn't bear to through it away. At some point, I believe it spoke to him and told him it was really the man in the moon. There might have been a few IPA's involved, but when he squinted with one eye and blinked with the other, he could just about see the man in the moon in that chunk of limba. One day, sometime down the road, my buddy sends me a few beers and a chunk of limba. He suggests that maybe if I stared at it with one squinted eye while blinking the other, I too might see the man in the moon, and if I did, perhaps I would be willing to accept a modest commission to set him free.

So after sampling several of those IPAs and picturing the limba in my head, I too did see Manny of the moon. And I find myself waiting for proper spraying weather to occur on the weekends hearing Manny whispering that he'd have a few things to say if he only had a mouth. So let's see if he ever gets the floor.

C02015.jpgC02017.jpgC02018.jpgC02022.jpg

SR

:popcorn:

very cool SR- 

2 hours ago, mistermikev said:

some pretty solid drawing skills there.  will be interested to see how this goes. 

what Mistermikev said- +1

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

I have a buddy, ... There might have been a few IPA's involved, SR

sounds like my kinda guy!

"Manny deLuna"  I see what you did there- clever. 

watching with interest.....

:popcorn:

• Like 1

skillz!

So how does the limba carve? It's an interesting wood. Once it feel soft and the next it's brittle and chips easily. Similar to mahogany in many ways, but kinda waxier?

11 hours ago, komodo said:

skillz!

So how does the limba carve? It's an interesting wood. Once it feel soft and the next it's brittle and chips easily. Similar to mahogany in many ways, but kinda waxier?

So, you've pretty much described it to a Tee. It actually cuts a little easier than mahogany, but splinters worse. Mahogany's interlocked grain greatly reduces the splintering. One has to be very aware of the grain with the limba or you'll rip out a hangnail-like splinter instead of a clean cut little scoop. It does have a bit of waxiness to it.

All in all it is pretty nice to carve....at least at this roughing in stage. Splintering is not much fun to fight when chasing down small details.

SR

As a body wood it's spectacular. Even though all woods have effect on tone in some way, limba really sings in the 6-string frequency spectrum. It's got the resonance of swamp ash, the midrange of mahogany (but even better), and clarity of maple.

• Like 1

The next day, while I was waiting to see if it would warm up enough and dry out enough to shot my not quite tele, Manny got one of his eyes and his mouth roughed in. Turns out he has a lot to say...not particularly deep, but he does have some good stories. It seems he sees a lot of stuff most folks don't realize are being witnessed. The man in the moon is up all night, after all. he likes to watch couples stroll along the beach by the light of.......him.:)

C02045.jpgC02046.jpgC02047.jpgC02048.jpgC02049.jpgC02050.jpgC02051.jpg

SR

Manny's been hanging out in the sky watching what folks do after dark.. I'm not sure it hasn't affected his outlook on things a bit....but what would one expect if all you had to do was watch what happens after dark.:rolleyes:

The dry air last weekend opened some cracks in Manny's hide. I waited till it got humid again, (like that took very long...) and then soaked the cracks with CA.

C02052.jpg

I covered the sides with packing tape to keep the CA from leaking out.

C02053.jpg

And then on to more carving.

C02054.jpgC02055.jpg

SR

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, westhemann said:

Looks awesome.  Now you need to make a display stand so he can sit upright and observe what's going on around him.

My understanding is he's going to be suspended from the ceiling so that he can survey his kingdom from above.

It's only fitting.

SR