KEA attempted builds, 2019

30 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Oh no you don't.

You have some 'splainin' to do Lucy.

SR

Haha!

Ive had that maple burl top with a live edge for almost a year. It was my plan all along. I glued the top to the body, with the live edge gap between it. Then i poured 2 applications of epoxy with the metallic powder.

This resin dries way different than normal epoxy. Its great! I even ran it through my drum sander to level it and it didnt gum up or melt.

• Like 1

River tables are so last season, this one is something different! At first glance I thought it's a bookmatched piece of burl with an interesting coloured sapwood or heartwood. That sure looks organic instead of man made!

Whilst not quite original as such, I prefer the look of the exterior surface of the main cambium with its pins and textures. Almost like the "shore" of the river table idea. This approach turns otherwise unusable waste material into something interesting and compelling. As long as the underlying mechanics of the guitar are valid, this is something I'd love to try. It just means taking a pressure washer to blow the exterior layers off (unless maintaining those) and drying for a good long time.

Plenty of pahka on Tori....

14 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

River tables are so last season, this one is something different! At first glance I thought it's a bookmatched piece of burl with an interesting coloured sapwood or heartwood. That sure looks organic instead of man made!

That was my goal! I wanted it to match the earthy/ reddish tones but still being noticeable. I called it "molten mars"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Isn't it more like a catalysed polyester casting resin, so a lot more chalky than epoxy?

Thats really what it seems like but it definitely smells like epoxy!

14 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Whilst not quite original as such, I prefer the look of the exterior surface of the main cambium with its pins and textures. Almost like the "shore" of the river table idea. This approach turns otherwise unusable waste material into something interesting and compelling. As long as the underlying mechanics of the guitar are valid, this is something I'd love to try. It just means taking a pressure washer to blow the exterior layers off (unless maintaining those) and drying for a good long time.

Plenty of pahka on Tori....

Yes live edge stuff seems to work the best with this. This was live edge but its 1/4" thick, so it isnt as dramatic.

18 hours ago, killemall8 said:

Yes live edge stuff seems to work the best with this. This was live edge but its 1/4" thick, so it isnt as dramatic.

So what I'm seeing is burl bookmatched at the live edge, which left a depression that you filled with epoxy.....correct?

SR

34 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

that is correct good sir. Sorry, i didnt realize you meant you didnt know what it was.

Years ago, there was a guy that did duck carvings out of white cedar. Very popular. They were mostly silhouettes, no details, but you could tell from the shape what kind of duck it was, and they were about half life size. They were finished super smooth, with no built up clear, more like highly polished wood and oil. He had a technique that colored the layers of wood between the growth rings- blues, greens, burgundies, and similar deep colors. Since the carvings crossed growth rings at all angles, the effect was amazing. To my knowledge he never shared the secret to how he did that.

When I saw the picture of your guitar, I thought maybe you had discovered the secret.

SR 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Take care of yourself, Luis. Mental health is just as important as physical. 

Trying my best. been a crazy few months for me.

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

What Carl said.

The guitar side of it looks great. Is that a reverse burst you are working on, or is it just at the sandback stage?

SR

Its in the sand back stage. the wood naturally had a color change around the edge there, so its a lighter yellow/ white color. But its about to get a lizardburst finish today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killemall8 said:

People seem to call dragonburst different things.

Do you consider, blue, green and yellow, dragonburst?

I'm of the opinion it can be anything you want it to be, and you can name it whatever you like.

I was mentally picturing dark green, light green, gold and a little orange as worthy of being called dragonburst.

And I was kind of interested to see what you came up with.

sR

• Like 1

Oooh, dragons... I guess "traditionally" they were mostly green with a lighter belly, much like @ScottR described. Pretty dark creatures, easily camouflaged in a dark forest while sleeping. In "modern" Sword and Magic realms there's dragons of several colours, both natural and metallic as described e.g. in http://www.dragonsinn.net/dragon-colors/ . The Chinese dragon mythology also knows about dragons of different colours. Thus, you can call any colour "dragonburst" if the figuration and nature of the guitar are dragony.

• Like 2