Blonde Glamour Shots...Something old, something new, something blonde, something blue!

I just noticed a feature I may have to add to my current build: The gap for lifting the plates! 

And the way you've addressed the "all access neck" - does that allow for using the neck pickup as an extra fret?

13 hours ago, thaumgarrett said:

Amazing!! So glad you stuck with this, especially with the finish-related headaches. Worth it.

hehe, never even occurred to me that anything but sticking with it was an option!  I'm def about to give up on tru oil as a gloss tho... from here on out I think nitro.  even w a 4wk wait time to wet sand... I think it probably takes less time!  thank you for watching and your support!

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I just noticed a feature I may have to add to my current build: The gap for lifting the plates! 

And the way you've addressed the "all access neck" - does that allow for using the neck pickup as an extra fret?

yeah, my gaps are rather large - as I've got sausage fingers!

afa pickup as a fret... I've often thought about an idea to make an adjustable fret on top of a pickup... it'd be pretty cool to do anyway!

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

great job man. looking forward to the blonde.

Thank you Mr Nat!  I'm working on her in the background.  the top if finished, and I'm slowly re-doing the binding.  it's slow going cause I do about 2" in the morning and 2" at night.  any more than that and it will bend away in one spot while you get it tight in another. 

my progress may have just hit a brick wall tho because I bought a mesa triaxis and am going to have to re-arrange my rack to wire it up... which has me thinking... "why not build a nice hardwood studio rack?"  the pine one does the job so... "must... resist... urge... to... build... super-rack"

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well deserved win against very strong competition.  Congrats!

I agree... lets here it for @ADFinlayson 's build.  Some strong competition there.

1 hour ago, Lwguitar said:

Congrats on the GOTM!!! 

It was a hard month to vote with both guitars being so awesome!

I couldn't agree more.  We were both talking behind the scenes while we watched the lead being passed back and forth.  Had I lost I would have been honored to have lost to such a fantastic build.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Even later to this, but many congrats on the win @mistermikev, it's an excellent guitar.

thank you @Splintazert - just restrung it last night and played for a while... just thrilled.

getting close on the blonde version too... did my wiring on monday.  waiting for the nitro to cure.  should be about 2 wks before I can shine it up and start assembly.  then I'll have to start thinking about a demo video.  that reminds me... I need to find some osh-kosh-b-gosh coveralls!

here's the current state of things: working on the wiring... have some touch ups to do on the fret slot edges... and nut isn't glued down.  def need to work up some better pictures... the rosewood on the pickup covers is hard to capture.

It's interesting how a little difference in neck profile and finish (no binding) can make for a noticeable difference in feel.  This is sort of a rounded C profile... and it feels fenderish... but with a 12" radius it plays sort of fast... my mind can't quite reconcile the two!

Anywho, been a long journey but I can see the finish line:

image.thumb.jpeg.14906156e6389779fe022e216ecb4588.jpegDSCN3148e.thumb.jpg.ddbcf8f9cef293a868fa983ba652dd79.jpgDSCN3114.thumb.JPG.0745ce246bed3bf2f826ce5a5f436c78.JPG

• Like 1