Jump to content

Entry for November 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

mistermikev

Blonde Glamour Shots...Something old, something new, something blonde, something blue!

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

They look flippin' awesome 👌

My thoughts too.... ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

My thoughts too.... ;)

thank you sir.  i keep reminding myself that in the end, even if it takes longer... I'll be happier if I spend the extra time to do it the best I can.  After all, for me... this is all about learning things and who learns more then when having to redo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these are looking great! My experience with nitro and dust is most of it disappears during level sanding and the rest I can't see. I gave up fretting about it some time ago. I prefer lacquer thinner for tripping back over paint remover, because anything you didn't get completely wiped off is simply lacquer when it dries.

SR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. I managed to chip a lot of lacquer off my Nozcaster fretboard while scraping it off the frets. I also scorched it around the tuner ferrules while pressing them in too hot. It took an age to fix the damage. 

You will fix it eventually and you'll be even more proud of the result when you get it right after the extra effort. Take your time, it's not a race :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 9:03 AM, ScottR said:

I think these are looking great! My experience with nitro and dust is most of it disappears during level sanding and the rest I can't see. I gave up fretting about it some time ago. I prefer lacquer thinner for tripping back over paint remover, because anything you didn't get completely wiped off is simply lacquer when it dries.

SR

thank you sir!  I probably could have made it work... but i'm glad I redid it.  I went much lighter on my coats and I'm very happy w how it turned out.  you couldn't even see the imperfections unless you were up close... but it would have bugged me to death.  Good call afa laquer thinner... will keep that in mind.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, Norris said:

I feel your pain. I managed to chip a lot of lacquer off my Nozcaster fretboard while scraping it off the frets. I also scorched it around the tuner ferrules while pressing them in too hot. It took an age to fix the damage. 

You will fix it eventually and you'll be even more proud of the result when you get it right after the extra effort. Take your time, it's not a race :)

thank you Norris - you are absolutely right.  no racing here!

 

sorry for the belated response guys!  Thank you very much for chiming in - i very much appreciate it!

 

pretty satisfied w it at this point.  some light finish swirls if you catch it in the light just right, but nothing I can't live with.

DSCN2349.thumb.JPG.d1b1f12ccae4f66716c124e4e7299b64.JPG

 

and the cream - I'm going pencils up now.  I was originally going to go gloss... but the first few coats came out satin and i really like it.  the finish is very thin and I did grainfill and lots of sanding prior so... I like it just the way it is.

DSCN2354.thumb.JPG.2c33e193c5ecbe3c3f575cb8358336ff.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

They really do both look yummy :)

 

thank you sir!  hopefully I can get through scraping my binding w/o messing anything up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we going to be entering GOTM in pairs now? If so, I had better get finishing one of my other projects 😀👍 but I think the blue beasty is an absolute winner 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

Are we going to be entering GOTM in pairs now? If so, I had better get finishing one of my other projects 😀👍 but I think the blue beasty is an absolute winner 😎

well, I've already won because I have a great guitar here!  the blond has a long way to go tho... still have to do the binding again and that will take me some time... but will def be entering blue this month anyway.  working on it now... got it string up.  starting to look like a guitar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

finished up at 6lbs 8.9oz... so whomever had that number - you win a fur lined bathtub!  Electronics fired right up and I've been playing it to death and dialing it in.  Some flaws here and there... but I don't think I own a better playing/sounding guitar.  Thank you to all whom have helped with advice and encouragment here - couldn't have done it without you!

DSCN2356_.thumb.JPG.4e347096f3b53cef56b6ab42b77b2d24.JPG

DSCN2395_.thumb.JPG.98a9d32f3f86bd6c6234507cfd050d57.JPGDSCN2384_.thumb.JPG.cb43c4117113e846ccfb602861148040.JPGDSCN2379_.thumb.JPG.792ccb84ef0f7e44ab9b332b29fb2276.JPGDSCN2375_.thumb.JPG.06459b3d1a9b4de0a5c7f9226ecbcd77.JPGDSCN2370_.thumb.JPG.1095fdbc89fc82d28024a6181387c31f.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

finished up at 6lbs 8.9oz... so whomever had that number - you win a fur lined bathtub!  Electronics fired right up and I've been playing it to death and dialing it in.  Some flaws here and there... but I don't think I own a better playing/sounding guitar.  Thank you to all whom have helped with advice and encouragment here - couldn't have done it without you!

DSCN2356_.thumb.JPG.4e347096f3b53cef56b6ab42b77b2d24.JPG

DSCN2395_.thumb.JPG.98a9d32f3f86bd6c6234507cfd050d57.JPGDSCN2384_.thumb.JPG.cb43c4117113e846ccfb602861148040.JPGDSCN2379_.thumb.JPG.792ccb84ef0f7e44ab9b332b29fb2276.JPGDSCN2375_.thumb.JPG.06459b3d1a9b4de0a5c7f9226ecbcd77.JPGDSCN2370_.thumb.JPG.1095fdbc89fc82d28024a6181387c31f.JPG

Fantastic - well done :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Fantastic - well done :)

 

thank you sir!  You are always very supportive and I am very thankful for that!

I can't help but feeling the finish is a bit of a flop on this one in the sense that it didn't quite turn out how I planned and isn't 'blow your mind'... but overall I'm very pleased. 

I didn't even adjust the neck after putting strings on (10s).  it is still perfectly straight but action is extremely low and no buzz.  Nut needs some work as some binding going on there when I divebomb the trem.  very comfortable to play!

Pickups - man I gotta say I love these.  I can officially recommend bootstrap... esp the 54pro.  I like these more than my tex spec, antiquities, rio grandes and as much as I like my blue velvets.  I'm going to be working on a video demo this weekend and will hope to capture the versatility of these pickups but if anyone is looking for some great single coils - BOOTSTRAP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many well thought of details!

I once saw someone argue about having binding with a rounded edge. In this case hell yes, definitely!

Well done! 🙂

Edited by Bizman62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

So many well thought of details!

I once saw someone argue about having binding with a rounded edge. In this case hell yes, definitely!

Well done! 🙂

thank you sir.  that was quite the learning experience!  had to redo it 3x as I didn't like it when it was rounded over with the wood.  if I had to do over again (and I do on my sister build) I would get the top finish completely done before doing the binding.  all in all I got lucky and it turned out ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Well that's a pretty epic looking guitar 🤘

Thank u sir!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's definitely a beauty Mike!

I see some of the glamour shots were taken in the aforementioned fur lined bathtub.:)

Nice touch.

SR

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That's definitely a beauty Mike!

I see some of the glamour shots were taken in the aforementioned fur lined bathtub.:)

Nice touch.

SR

Thank you sir! Hehehe, that's actually my cat's bed! Had to kick the poor girl out so I could use it! ( jk, no cats were evicted in the making of these photos)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Thank you sir! Hehehe, that's actually my cat's bed! Had to kick the poor girl out so I could use it! ( jk, no cats were evicted in the making of these photos)

Damn. You keeping a tiger as a house cat?

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Damn. You keeping a tiger as a house cat?

SR

naw... shes just a little thing but has tiger-sized territorial tendencies!  any other cat/dog gets near that thing and she'll fight to the death.  I was lucky just to borrow it for a short period.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

Wow beautiful work mike

Thank you for saying so Zeke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow have you been busy. Nice job all around! It’s awesome when what you build is the best thing you’ve ever played. Bravo!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, komodo said:

wow have you been busy. Nice job all around! It’s awesome when what you build is the best thing you’ve ever played. Bravo!

thank you sir.  I would say it's as good as my jem... it'd be hard to make a guitar play anybetter than that cause it's just as good as it gets but I get your sentiment.  In a lot of ways it IS better... more stable, more me, and def more comfy.  Thank you for taking the time!

9 hours ago, Norris said:

Lovely 

Thank you norris.  I very much appreciate it!

 

Thank you all again for your help and advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...