Build #7 -Ollie's Neckthrough flying V

4 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I think the green is down to the brown coat - There is obviously some yellow in it. It does also look a bit purple in some light, no idea why!

Brown pigment is mostly varying parts of the three primary colors: red, yellow and blue. So when you put blue on top of brown, the blue component of the brown just adds to the blue layer, and the red and yellow components show in various degrees in different light sources and angles, giving you the green tints at some angles and the purplish tints at others. The light bouncing back off the wavy fibers of your figured maple adds to the effect.

SR

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Brown pigment is mostly varying parts of the three primary colors: red, yellow and blue. So when you put blue on top of brown, the blue component of the brown just adds to the blue layer, and the red and yellow components show in various degrees in different light sources and angles, giving you the green tints at some angles and the purplish tints at others. The light bouncing back off the wavy fibers of your figured maple adds to the effect.

SR

you forgot to add "QED" at the end there.

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

SR

Very helpful bud, thank you!

After sealing, I decided I'm pretty happy with it after all, so I've started putting some poly over it. At this point, the walnut went POP 😍

Z6g0X6q6NrW55GFqom8fOmCN7My-cEGFpUv4SlNX

Wm8Yg25MIY3R3Rxr0K2CByzexoGP35mJvO83AUlP

TLpI1F63qivzkvH01bdZi95-T5MAsg8LD3dUcLVh

I dropped a bollock though because the control cover has more flaming than the headstock 

gBETBwTy6Dg_-eeYZzHaZeVBrrHYX6-p_7f990tu

x4n4mb1IGd5qzdisBfshJFrDA33voLV7kfC6e0Il

There is a hard edge at the start of  the heel, so I'm planning to tidy up the edge along the sids where the maple laminate is and have that line as the start of the oiled neck which will hopefully look seamless. 

• Like 4

yeah, what they said... walnut looks killer.  top looks great too.  nice job.  I've never been able to play v's - even with that leg flap they put on them in the 80's.  great guitar to play standing up... which I never do... all that said I still kind of want one (what's wrong with me?!)

On 5/23/2019 at 6:29 AM, ADFinlayson said:

But if it was my guitar, it would be staying this colour - I think it ties in really nicely with the walnut.

mUKNPLTwONJF6zqtXyHY5U7FBv6VLUyDAKdrD3d0

that shade with gloss would look bad ass. agree with your comment-I would have kept it there too if it was mine. 

(btw-bonus point for feet in shot)

there is something about a V. 

A wiseman once said, its the inner "schenker" in us all.... To which a fool replied, well some schenkers are smaller than others.

bad da boom. (rim shot emoji)

It's getting there slowly but surely. This is what it was looking like after several coats - Lots of bobbly unevenness. Instead of wet sanding with soapy water as I did on the last one, I've wet sanded with poly a few times then wiped off excess after a few mins, idea being that it's not always taking away

xuD6nL-C_cXF8FDD5aLcPotdwcC_zXfpPMnBXuFf

a_jfveSyPfUWRBM6a4m9fz7M4lgqgML1OUxelgKo

Looks fairly dull once wiped off, no idea what the light patch is but the controls in this photo, it looks annoyingly different from every angle. 

yiEGRmMEANto9Ahp-E6-1nhUWSZyl6jXJggZujBx

After some more wet sanding and cutting. 

NtNNqXVlnzggU79x3FV55tuwz6clXuUJeTWVsYV0

WzV2leiFXn2fgpbaSf7gAUBZ8PVqXnCK3gJjQV_E

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

no idea what the light patch is but the controls in this photo, it looks annoyingly different from every angle. 

If it changes with every angle, it is probably chatoyance. It is not limited to tight figure, it just requires fibers that changes direction.

SR

Ooh shiny! And those stripes all over the wood!

Is it just the glare on the second image that makes the straight line at the heel area look uneven? Having seen it like that tempts me to suggest some more carving, making the straight line to a large curve to blend the heel to the body. Don't take this as a rebuke, it may just be a funny reflection I see with my envious eyes.

blend.JPG.8b93d134f235522961912381d0894530.JPG

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Ooh shiny! And those stripes all over the wood!

Is it just the glare on the second image that makes the straight line at the heel area look uneven? Having seen it like that tempts me to suggest some more carving, making the straight line to a large curve to blend the heel to the body. Don't take this as a rebuke, it may just be a funny reflection I see with my envious eyes.

blend.JPG.8b93d134f235522961912381d0894530.JPG

I thought about a curve but I didn’t like the idea tbh. Not sure about unevenness, it’s possible but I started with a router and straight edge so I doubt it. The light source is to the left of the camera so it’s probs just a reflection. 

Got strings in tonight, pickups in, etc done a rough setup and truss rod adjustment. On to wiring next and figuring out where to put the strap buttons 

FBX3Mk-2sYmkjQ55557W9czaL_WhJQ2ix88ztTu-

DV1Rsc4WtN7c2nxkSeDiZWEBryXZgNe9MGpNUCQH

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

The light source is to the left of the camera so it’s probs just a reflection

That's what I thought, too, knowing your nitpickiness. Reflections and the grain versus the pale pin stripes can create funny optical illusions at certain angles. I'd like to hold that in my hands to get a true grasp of it - then again as of lately my axe handling has been more on the townshendy side so it's definitely safer to keep some distance.

• Like 1

wow, nicely done.  I like how the lam made a lil shark tooth by the headstock.  worked out cool.  in one of the pics, it looks like that body is super thick... is it 1.75 body with 3/4 top?  might just be the lines from the lams making it look fat.

your blue turned out beautiful, I have more respect for that now having done a blue!  harder than it looks!  that guitar is def photogenic from the 'straight on" angle on the top.  the back is equally photogenic. 

you must be very proud. 

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

wow, nicely done.  I like how the lam made a lil shark tooth by the headstock.  worked out cool.  in one of the pics, it looks like that body is super thick... is it 1.75 body with 3/4 top?  might just be the lines from the lams making it look fat.

your blue turned out beautiful, I have more respect for that now having done a blue!  harder than it looks!  that guitar is def photogenic from the 'straight on" angle on the top.  the back is equally photogenic. 

you must be very proud. 

Thanks bud, sanding angles into the lams was pretty awkward around the headstock and heel because the act of sanding changes the line. It’s not as thick as that. The top was 1” before I bookmatched it, I think it was 9mm in the end and the walnut lams were 38mm by the time they were all glued up and jointed so over all it’s bit super thick in the middle. 

I am very pleased with it, just a bit annoyed about the sap wood. I’m in no rush to build from laminates again!

right on... had to look and convert... so 1.8" sounds about normal.  just looks like it might be 2.5" in some of those pics!

btw... when you go below 1mm... are you ever tempted to say "it's six and a half mm"?  hehe.  caught myself doing that more than once!

On 6/2/2019 at 11:40 PM, mistermikev said:

right on... had to look and convert... so 1.8" sounds about normal.  just looks like it might be 2.5" in some of those pics!

btw... when you go below 1mm... are you ever tempted to say "it's six and a half mm"?  hehe.  caught myself doing that more than once!

I do, but for continuity I should probably say 8/16th of a mm 😀