The Black Queen

komodo

Thanks Scott. It’s been built to be a. player. I really wish you could feel it and give it the lap test. Because of the ebony neck and core, I specifically sized the body a little smaller and thinner. And the weight has come out dead on perfect. So when you handle it, it has this impression of density or solidity. Like when you handle some piece of techy gear like an iphone and it weighs much more than you think it would. Since I aimed at that and seemingly hit it, I’m totally thrilled. The REAL acid test will be when it’s strung up, and how it actually feels to play it, and how it sounds. I have such high hopes for that!

Are you referring to the toxic dust?! I used a spoke shave - with ridiculously thick shavings because I was lazy and hogging - but also did some rasping and sanding the heel for body fit tweaks. When I left the shop my eyes were stinging, and I blew my nose and the tissue was basically black. I’ve got a respirator on usually, but sometimes get excited and just want to knock out this little part.........four hours later......,,,,,,

Good news is, this pig lost a LOT of weight from the operation. I was worried we might be a hair neck heavy before, but now it’s a dream. Final weight should be way under 8 lbs.

I don’t love my scarf joint seam. I could face it with gaboon, dye it and the front with a aniline or the black ebony dye from Stewmac,  or just ignore it.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

I recommend a neti pot.

Thanks for adding that to my vocabulary! I've been using one for quite a long time now and wish I'd had one during the renovation process of our house. Several decades old wood dust all over the nostrils wasn't too much fun!

@komodo, if you get one you can add some sea salt into the water as they recommend in the instructions of the one I use. In my experience it makes the water feel softer, maybe because there's some salt in the liquids you produce inside your nostrils as well. Raw water inside a sore nose can feel like containing abrasives...

One or two tissues and I'm done, I tried a Neti once and it was not for me. It's sort of like self-waterboarding.

Tonight, I'm going to take a nice thin veneer off of the back of the first fretboard. If I can get a clean piece, it will be a nice way to get some utility from that so it;s not wasted. The board had fret slots cut in it, and those stars which were drilled - so - I'm not sure just how deep those may be at any given place. Gaboon is super easy to fill though, the biggest issue will be "bookmatching" to get it wide enough to face the front and back of the headstock.

3 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

christ than neck is bloody lovely, I'm going to have to find myself a macassar neck blank 

I was going to say something along those lines, but you said it way better.

14 minutes ago, komodo said:

Duh, I forgot I had this piece. It’s only 1/8” thick, so I’ll have to figure out how to make that a veneer.

Stick it to a block and hit it with a jack plane or a belt sander, unless you are one of the fortunates with a thickness sander. Save a little meat for finish sanding.

Off coarse you know all this and have probably already got it done by now.:)

SR

Had to go to work first, but  didn’t consider sticking it to something else first. Forest for the trees thing going on. Of course what I’d like to do is split it and get TWO veneers just in case. I’ll assess when I get home.  Thanks!!

Spent a chunk of today doing some final spoke shave work, some rasping, some scraping then sanding. Also final fretboard radiusing. All to hone this neck to perfect. Finally trimmed off the fretboard end so I can see what it looks like with neck pup in place.

I’ve cut an ebony veneer and will attempt to glue it on the backside tomorrow, then glue the neck in. 

B1C900FD-B153-4403-8618-C9E193364F1C.jpeg

00F364DB-42C7-41CA-B679-1A65E6530785.jpeg

94B899D1-DDD7-4BA1-8694-2C6161A9D5AE.jpeg

9611C616-5E5E-43DB-877F-8589AB0C6B36.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 2:14 PM, komodo said:

Duh, I forgot I had this piece. It’s only 1/8” thick, so I’ll have to figure out how to make that a veneer.

485DD355-26E1-4476-80D1-7F87A6F1812A.jpeg

Before I got the drum sander, I would make a crude router sled and thickness it that way with it masking tape and glued to a base, just be real careful peeling it off. I used to borrow the mrs' cake slice to get under it, don't tell her though 😂

• Like 1

I doublestick taped it to a flat board then resawed it in half. 😬 One side was too thin and snapped in half, the other was sanded down on the belt sander. Hopefully glue and clamp goes smooth, I’m getting to the finish line......

Back of headstock veneered. The piece was probably too thick, it mostly clamped down but theres a bit of a glueline around the volute. It’ll may be subdued after oiling, or I can do some tricks to remove and fill. For now I’m moving on with fretting and getting the neck glued in. Thrilled with the grain matching.

97248C65-2690-4C57-BEE1-8851688AC0B3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Back of headstock veneered. The piece was probably too thick, it mostly clamped down but theres a bit of a glueline around the volute. It’ll may be subdued after oiling, or I can do some tricks to remove and fill. For now I’m moving on with fretting and getting the neck glued in. Thrilled with the grain matching.

97248C65-2690-4C57-BEE1-8851688AC0B3.jpeg

wow, nice job matching that.

• Like 1