The Black Queen

komodo

• 1 month later...

This one is dry enough. Started with level sanding, it all looks good except I either didn’t get the ash on the back filled enough or I need to level sand more. If it’s even showing then it shrank or wasn’t flat. But I also sprayed really thick as usual so there may be enough to level out. It’s only the back so I could keep sanding to find out. If I hit wood I could just spray again. IDK

The rangemaster build was a smashing success. It’s WAY better than I thought it would be. It gets you 90% of the way to Boston / Queen with a great almost cocked wah sound. Tons of harmonics.

21 minutes ago, komodo said:

Why last words? Nitro has to be the most forgiving, it just burns into the last.

oh, I know... but it's the razors edge you walk between sanding it smooth... and waiting another 3 weeks for another few coats of nitro to dry.  perhaps you aren't as impatient as I... but this scenario is one I have bad dreams about.

Considering we are headed to good weather, I’d only be spraying the back, I’ve currently got all the time in the world, and I’m fully into another build . . . my patience is OK right at the moment. lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, komodo said:

I’ve currently got all the time in the world

So very true! If I only had a workshop...

During the last 15 years as a private IT helper I've learned a LOT of patience as I've noticed that hurrying certain processes will cause issues which take more time to fix than the original problem.

Yet I've found out that guitar building is another world. The build starts rapidly and it really doesn't take long to build a guitar shaped thing. Getting it smooth and a pleasure to play takes forever and you'll still find some minor flaws, buzzing frets, scratches etc.

The last one I finished, I sanded through the back. I carried on sanding the rest of the back to get it as level as I could, then did another couple of coats on what was now a fairly even surface that didn't need much work after. Sanding through is not such a big deal if there is no stain/paint IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, komodo said:

Considering we are headed to good weather, I’d only be spraying the back, I’ve currently got all the time in the world, and I’m fully into another build . . . my patience is OK right at the moment. lol

I'm still like a 4 yo child when I get close to finishing... "but i want it NOW!".  like a game of shoots and ladders... one sandpaper swipe too much and blammo... back to the start.  that said, I know in my heart... if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right - however long it takes. 

good point biz.  it does really start fast and then progressively each step seems to take forever.

AD - the trouble with sand thru + dye = one more swipe and you've got a little 'spot'.  always seems to be the case for me anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

AD - the trouble with sand thru + dye = one more swipe and you've got a little 'spot'.  always seems to be the case for me anyway.

Yeah the point I was trying to make ( probably not very clearly) was that if it's a natural finish you're going for and you sand through, going over it again with nitro will make it look completely invisible. Sanding through dye, restaining, resealing and more topcoat is likely to result in a slightly different looking patch, as I found out when I sanded through the red one I did last year.

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

Yeah the point I was trying to make ( probably not very clearly) was that if it's a natural finish you're going for and you sand through, going over it again with nitro will make it look completely invisible. Sanding through dye, restaining, resealing and more topcoat is likely to result in a slightly different looking patch, as I found out when I sanded through the red one I did last year.

that's ok... I have just "found this out" more than an avg number of times!

Just now, mistermikev said:

that's ok... I have just "found this out" more than an avg number of times!

I was scraping the faux binding on the purple one the other day - the razor blade slipped and I put a whopping scratch in the top and had to sand back a 3" area and restain. I know all about that too.

1 minute ago, ADFinlayson said:

I was scraping the faux binding on the purple one the other day - the razor blade slipped and I put a whopping scratch in the top and had to sand back a 3" area and restain. I know all about that too.

happens to the best of us... and also me...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Had minor sand through on the back in a clear ash area. I guess it wasn’t done. Laying on more clear THICK AF today. Hard and fast, just the way I like my nitro, wood, rock and metal, cars, women, coffee, beer, inlays, bourbon, anime, cats, Zoom backgrounds, viruses, and PPE. Bring it on MFer!

38096489-1365-40F7-888D-7DCB0B894828.jpeg

194F98FA-DB20-4B84-BE89-8F26ADBDCB1C.jpeg

E478268F-20B0-4716-9036-D48B0F977CFC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahahahah - That's not a stare, that's "old guy trying to hold up the damn phone to do one of those selfies and get the important bits in".

The booth has been perfect. The only place that made sense was underneath a deck, on the backside of the house, just inside the gate to the back. It's mostly on the sidewalk behind the house, so it's concrete for most of it. I just got a huge sheet of plastic and stapled it to the deck posts, and put the hanger in there. I can enter and exit the booth through the gate and plastic flap. As it's not totally sealed, just a bit of breeze gives a nice controlled air exchange. There's no direct sun, and it's protected behind the house. The only bad thing would be a meter reader coming back there, and then shit would hit the fan for everyone.

Last year I was worried about weather conditions for spraying, but I have done SO much reading of other pro builders experiences that I am way more relaxed now. Humidity is the big one, and a can of blush eraser is necessary. Temps around 50-60 are just fine, and actually kinda nice. My biggest takeaways from another one under the belt, are:

a) Go slower when spraying. Too fast is splatter and peel.

b) If you have all variables under control, go closer. I'm getting really great results with my gonzo, heavy layers at 4-6".

c) When you have your last builds nice and flowed out, do that last can with a 50/50 mix and CAREFULLY ride the edge of too much and just about to run. You have to recalibrate that, because everything until now has been thicker mix. But, man-o-man does it payoff as it flows and flashes off. I feel like I could take it straight to buffing right now.

It’s drying really nicely. You know when you see moonshiners shake a jar of white straight from the still and they can tell what % alcohol it is by looking at the bubbles? I feel like I’m doing that when I examine the sprayed gloss and try to decide what grit to start at. This sprayed a pretty high % abv. hahaha

Minimal wire like I warned. The circuit is a modified Brian May using three mini switches. <On in phase> < off > <on other phase>

I THINK. Need to examine the diagrams I downloaded a long time ago. Still need to do some light sanding in the cavities and do shielding paint, figure out some minor shaping of the tailpiece and how it works with the arm, final sand and buff, install wiring. Close! 

F3EE2654-4BC9-487E-8AA4-F44D9794F935.jpeg

50EDFC93-F904-428C-922A-D0F7D561119D.jpeg

• Like 2