The Black Queen

komodo

Wow.

I love the way you've ended it on the bottom curve of the horns.

21 hours ago, komodo said:

So, instead of only wicking in thin CA - I'm going to lay some thicker CA in the bottom of the channel, place the purfling, scrape, do the dying, then finish the purfling by wicking in the thin. If someone has a better idea, you better shout now.

That's the best thing I can think of as well. Are you going to shoot clear clear over the purfling? And then scrape it or leave it covered?

On one hand the clear will help lock it in place so the thin CA may not be needed. But the clear may sink into the spaces over time  if you plan to leave the clear on top, especially nitro.

I don't think I've ever seen a more difficult build conceived.

SR

Ouch. @Prostheta

I can tell you that my bolts are a VERY tight fit going in, but once you get a thread or two going it’s easy. I’ve even chiseled away a little wood at the back of the chamber to allow it to fit. 

@ScottR My plan is to dye, sandback, dye, etc til im happy. At some point in there I will fill voids with CA or epoxy, maybe tinted. Then its probably some kind of seal coat, then grain fill with aquacoat, then nitro. I’m thinking that void fill can be somewhere in the dye or even after if I sand careful. Kinda wingin it.

Well I’ve pulled the tape, planed down with the tiny Ibex copy (Chibex?), the used a sharp chisel and finally scraping to reveal the purfling. It’s mostly OK, I,ve git some rough edges where the maple would not cooperate, and a couple larger gaps but most of it is great. There is seepage from either the shellac or the CA that I’m a little worried about. We wont know til first dye. I figured that the shellac uses alcohol and my dye is alcohol so I have best chance of success with that combo.  I’m always trying to think of not what could go wrong, but WHEN it does, which way gives me the best chance at recovery. RC plane guys call this “flying at least two mistakes high”. Love that.

I’d still feel like the inside of the horns needs some kind of shaping but I don’t know what.

878D4550-6879-4EF1-AB3B-00EACB31C4D1.jpeg

62F67333-2CF6-4A27-A060-BBEF3C56CBAC.jpeg

39B2555A-FD00-40E6-92AA-CF6FC85AEE3A.jpeg

• Like 4

@mistermikev Thanks! 

Well I don’t know if I love it yet, but in an effort to decide what to do on the inside horns and to connect more with my teen son, I consulted and let him decide. Mild bevel.

Pretty sure I’ll need to carve a little deeper to match the other side of the horn.

FE78A660-225F-4B30-B2AA-18F86C411982.jpeg

8EAD84B1-387D-40C9-8D88-067C59C4636C.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, it was ok, but this is the right thing to do. It was in my head, just had to find it. Carve away the wood that was not it. Ha.

This is still rough but I am TIRED. Beer time. Another Cask of Cthulhu.

0DF2B2C0-A3BA-4B37-8706-B486BB30019E.jpeg

843B9E8D-E744-4E7E-9170-827BEDED578B.jpeg

8FED0A60-3DC6-4139-8A17-36A8F6713EA0.jpeg

• Like 4

Coat of slight purply black then sandback. Forgot about the thin maple in the pinstripe even though I thought about that last night laying in bed. “remember to mask that!”

On sandback the pinstripe brightened up again, couldn't find a way to mask it well and did it again. Ha! I’ll do some surgical sanding in the pinstripes to lighten them up, or may leave it as they look just like the body and match? 

Now I’ll figure out some tiny fills, take of the mask and HOPE I got a clean edge on the sides. It needs some kind of sealer coats, I’ve got vinyl, fresh shellac or nitro. You pick.

The Macassar trem cover, looks out of place now being very  brown and stripey. It may darken considerably after oiling, but I’ve got dye as well.

I’m not sure about the glow in the dark starfield fretboard, its not exactly how I wanted it. I’ll take another stab at it, worst case is a new board with a streamlined look. Maybe even blocks? I saw one with moon phases that was cool AF.

B87110C6-087A-484A-AEB1-C4865C38C129.jpeg

9B05AD2D-2881-4F48-9B23-6A7DCFFF73D1.jpeg

21535D00-42C2-4852-9C80-986D557A0D86.jpeg

3C871F46-EA8A-4A4E-8AFB-0611A8FFB82A.jpeg

3E957AF8-5984-437C-A27C-34BE96883E57.jpeg

DAB5C7BF-20C8-4A9F-8A93-4815339E1914.png

• Like 4

Wait til you see the knobs. I picked up a crappy, 70s solid state amp from Goodwill just to steal the milled aluminum knobs off of it. They are quite small and weirdly retro and modern at the same time. I always fuss over knobs like it’s some super important detail, probably the graphic designer in me trying to make it all cohesive.

Happy Thanksgiving if you are in the U.S. and celebrate that sort of thing. Anyone could probably stop and consider things to be thankful for, I know I do more and more as I age. 

That said, I have to give John Sykes feedback on Ebay now. 
"Sorry, but didn't punch Coverdale in the gizzard and stay in Whitesnake to tour that kickass album you wrote"
"I get the straight into the Marshall thing, but maybe just a couple modulation pedals?"
"Requested to be guitar tech, completely ignored. Bad!"

The dye job is looking excellent so far. I agree with @Prostheta on the pinstripes....and @mistermikev on the starfield.And I think the Macassar tail piece highly sanded and oiled will look great with the fretboard in place looking similar and the top finished in a gleaming clear. Texture and reflectance balances and contrasts, should be tasty!

What will the final color of the top be?

SR

5 hours ago, ScottR said:

What will the final color of the top be?

Well that last pic was it. But I continued blending and adding light wash coats until it just started looking too dense. Let it dry good last night, and today wiped plain alcohol on it to see where its at. Looked great but too dark and lost some of the light purple/black. So sanded back again this morning, taking extra special care with just how much and where. I’ll lay a light blackish-purple wash on it and see where its at.

I’m shooting for something like this from Vik but probably not the subtle burst.

C96A8BD9-1B9E-47E0-AE14-099244E6E7D0.jpeg

The beer threads seem to want to spread beyond their set bounds. They do however go hand in hand. Can't work with a beer - according to h&s - can't work without one, according to life, fun and general having self respect for pursuits beyond the legislated and deeply-graven grindstone. 

• Like 1