P90s...

ShatnersBassoon

I’ve been wanting a guitar with p90s for quite some time and I recently took the plunge. A cheap guitar (Sub Zero) but these things sound great! Definitely different to a regular single coil and they also don’t sound quite like a humbucker. Very full sounding with tonnes of definition. Not a glassy kind of sound like a regular single coil, these things definitely make you want to whack the guitar harder! One question though, I’ve often read that p90s are noisy...I’m not getting that with these pickups at all! Any input on this? Cheers.

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

like you two... I am a big fan of p90s tho I only have 1 guitar with them in it currently - an epi es295.  man I just love the sound of playing right up on the bridge with them... the sound of rockabilly! 

I replaced my stock magnets with a2 to see if it'd do much or if I should just upgrade pickups... I really like the change it made.  I believe epiphone advertises these pickups as a2 but when I yanked them they were the typical black (chinese) mags that looked suspiciously like ceramic.  oddly, the change seemed to increase the output of the pickups but broke off a little top end. 

the whole experience convinced me that there should be more p90s in my future!

afa noise: I think that stigma comes from the fact that original gibsons had two fwd wound p90s so they didn't cancel hum in the middle position.  When I combine mine in the middle pos I get zero hum, and in bridge or neck pos I get the typical single coil hum you get on any strat in 1/3/5.

• Like 1