Green Transparent Finish On Mahogany

Hi Guys! Just found this forum and was after some advice. I've built a few guitars now, and the mahogany ones always end up just oiled to bring out the red. However, I'm currently building a mahogany 'Telecaster' that will have 2 humbuckers, 5 way superswitch, kill switch that can be reversed with a push pull volume pot and with a Strat reversed neck. I want to do something a little different with the finish. I'd love to stain it transparent green as it looks ace and I've never actually owned a green guitar! So..... how do I go about this?? If I just apply green stain onto the mahogany it's going to go very dark, then probably darker once it's oiled. (been doing a few tests on scrap) It can be done as Warmoth are selling bodies with this finish (pictured below) Any advice would be fantastic.... or any other ideas welcome on a different finish for this guitar. Maybe purple stain as it might go over the red better? I've attached a few pics below.

IMG_2021.JPG

2.jpg

I suspect that is a clear base of nitro or poly to seal the wood without darkening it and then transparent green over that. the neck pocket shows a pretty pale mahogany blank to start with. Wood bleach could also be used prior to adding color to keep it from going too dark.

SR

Here is a link on the Warmoth forums. He used Mixol with Lacquer thinners and retarder. I've looked into this. I'm in the UK and can't find suitable thinners or retarders. I've tried Mixol with water and alchohol but the pigment failed to go into the wood. Just sits on top! Can anyone tell me more about the thinners/retarders?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16742.0

I saw TransTint which is the wood dye I use. He mixed it with lacquer thinners and and retarders which are really just a carrier for the dye. That dye will dissolve in water and alcohol, both of which I use.  Mixing it with lacquer thinner is usually the step taken when mixing it to tint lacquer, which is what I was referring to in my first post.  Using dye straight onto the wood  will darken it as you surmised. I would start with a thin concentration of dye and just add coats till you get the desired darkness. Each application will darken the open pored areas more so than the closed or angled pore areas which will enhance the ribbon striping you get with mahogany. Sealing the wood first and then mixing the dye in your clear -called tinting will darken the wood evenly and more slowly. The picture you posted looks more like a tint to me because you can still see brown mahogany on the edges of the pick up cavities, where the spray was blocked and didn't coat the bottom evenly.

Either method will work, it just depends on which look you like the best.

SR

You definitely want to try on some scrap first, but that looks more like transparent green over top the wood, not dyed. Even then, the base color of the wood will affect the final color of the transparent. Like ScottR mentioned, the neck pocket almost looks like the wood may have been bleached. Testing on scrap is always the best way to start if you’re not sure.

• 2 years later...

DC9563DE-6132-4781-A515-40EFF8262591.thumb.jpeg.7de402118f3de5737ec66343a9b3df5b.jpegUsed this post as I was trying to design my project.   It had good advice.  

This is a solid piece of I bleached mahogany. 

grain-filled with ebony timbermate. 

I got a good couple coats of sanding sealer and then used Createx Colors candy2o Emerald Green in their UV clear base (per their data sheet (and a smidge of distilled water because I forgot to by the reducer and it seemed a touch thick).

Laid it on thick on the edges for the burst. 

Turned out pretty good.  I still need to give it a coat of 2k and final sand / buff.  

• Like 1

Giving credit to those involved is always nice even in the form of a necrobump...

Your guitar looks like Northern Lights on a dark winter night, the ebony filler is definitely boosting the grain patterns and the green looks just about right at least compared to the best photos of Aurora Borealis. In reality they're often not that fascinating as theres so much light pollution fading the dancing lights, your guitar captures the 'true nature' of them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Giving credit to those involved is always nice even in the form of a necrobump...

Your guitar looks like Northern Lights on a dark winter night, the ebony filler is definitely boosting the grain patterns and the green looks just about right at least compared to the best photos of Aurora Borealis. In reality they're often not that fascinating as theres so much light pollution fading the dancing lights, your guitar captures the 'true nature' of them.

Thanks.  

I’ll post another pick after I clear and finish building it out.  I have a solid Rosewood neck and brushed nickel hardware.  It will be a few weeks yet.  

I can’t find the edit button for a autocorrect on a typo.  The mahogany on mine  is un-bleached.  
I just mention that because it’s mentioned that it might have been done on the other warmoth guitar.  I debated myself If I wanted to try to lighten the red out but ultimately decided against that.   

AFAIK there's no autocorrect or spell checker (thank God, that drives me nuts as those use the American spelling!) You can edit your posts for quite some time, though, through the three dots in the upper right corner of your posts. Can't remember if that's an option after several posts or right away.

kuva.png.767914ab20c9b3e6a427da9df80492e9.png