Tung Oil (?) finished maple neck?

BradGuy

Hello there. I just have one unusual question, it's about one guitar which I owned in the past.

I owned Cort Hiram Bullock HBS model, problem is - I sold guitar to pay collage stuff.

So ... that guitar, even through it was super cheap. It had the best neck I've ever tried.

After a lot of seaching , I couldn't find anything on finish.

My guess it's like oil some sort, and I came to a conclusion it was tung oil in question.

So ... has anyone ever made maple neck with tung oil finish, and could help me with something?

I really really liked that neck, I found dimensions, but nothing on finish.

I would love to have replica of that neck in future without buying guitar again so ....

The neck was like super super fast, very smooth, smooth as butter , but not sticky as all, no sweat problems of any kind.

Was that a tung oil finish in question or? I could feel the wood of the neck ...

It was completely different animal then Gibson slow, sticky Les Paul neck.

Thanks for any usefull info.

It could be tung oil....probably actually a tung oil finish, Danish oil, Teak oil, or any other oil finish, that penetrates and doesn't build up a film. The trick is the application. Wipe it on heavy, let it soak and wipe it off. Wipe on a second heavy coat using fine steel wool (or similar substitute) which will soak up the excess and create a bit of slurry that sits in the pores and ultimately leaves a silky smooth non-tacky finish.

SR

In between time, I found one useful YouTube video with some informations. One guy did apply 3 thin layers + wax after it.

Since I'm not luthier, what difference would be between wax + 3 thin layers versus 2 thick layers? And which type would you prefer of the two?

And I'm not sure what was fretboard type. I'm not sure if fretboard was also oil ... or it was different finish then neck.

But it was like also super fast, but thicker ... but I guess it wasn't lacquer also.

Also .... I texted one guy who did try my guitar, he also thinks it's 95% oil + wax ....

But again, fretboard could be more mistery.

But, that neck feels so great, would love to have replica on future custom guitar.

• 4 months later...

Long time ago I was here, I forgot password of old account. Sorry if this bump does break rules. 😕

To give you bump.

I found same guitar for sale, but problem is; guy wants double the money which guitar is worth.

And to give you hint; I got in contact with two guys who tried guitar long time ago.

They think that finish could be "Really Thin Satin Matte" neck finish.

Your ideas?

Re wax, it's there to protect the oil finish from washing off by the sweat of your palms.

Crimson Guitars use something called Flashcoat. It's sort of a lacquer that looks and feels like an oil finish but is more durable. More importantly for a manufacturer, one pass is enough and it even dries rapidly!

Even a sticky lacquer can be made smooth with plain 1000 grit wet'n'dry sandpaper or steel wool or similar. Just knock the gloss off and you'll get a much faster neck! Of course your playing will eventually re-polish it but since you'd only be taking a fraction of the thickness away you can do it dozens of times.