Ovangkol LP rebuild

That looks great to me.

I know you will never un-see the areas that have bothered you, but frankly that pice of maple runs the gamut in degrees of absorption of dye. So everything you've done, regardless of your degree of satisfaction of it--looks natural.

It was a hard fought battle, and you've emerged the victor.

Well done!

SR

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

That is a reflection, there is however a rough spot between the pups 👎

Hey, don't worry about that! You'll be wearing D- and G-strings over that spot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Beautiful job!  Great, great colour.  Reminds me of the Gibson Wine Red before they started messing around with it.

Gold star and smiley face in my book!

Thanks Andy, an old les Paul custom cherry is the guitar I wanted hanging on my wall for a long time. This actually isn’t far off, makes me think I should have gone for gold hardware now. 

So i did a whoopsie... I forgot that I needed a control plate for the switch. Well I remembered that, but I forgot that I would need to carve it to match the back. So I did that today, which involved taking an orbital sander to the back, not ideal after all that work on the top but I put a bed of towels down and we are ok 👌 

X3GVwyS2e0S17SIyEbX8YmRLxY_fN3hl2LleXV7o

no offcuts from the original body left thanks to the dog, so had to use a neck offcut. Then lots of sanding and a coat of poly later.

SBhk1x7_r63LjLnYDaHrOK5pi9ReGd6sFLfIfRsS

MdlJ6d5fTeh7woMQBUigvasYHzu_uUjH3TdEWxgG

I got some danish oil on the neck and headstock, fairly heavy coat then wiped off excess after a few mins of soaking. 

-JR9IX4ua8Ujo_yvfqHmcKKUooL6xwCcWBkTbjFW

CYbYptw3e00IVmeYrOGQFTqfj8anFF8jRXfFtaiv

Also made a truss rod cover from ebony, sanded down (it was too tall) the nut and got it stuck in and gave the headstock some oil too. Sloppy builder got some oil on the fretboard.

Ms7kWx5ZrspQz5vAFVY7iT_a_JN80GfJ_cHF01Vi

I’m tempted to not over do the poly on the back. It looked cool glossy before but now that I’ve seen the oiled neck, I like the idea of leaving without much shine.

Well happy with how it’s come out. I just hope it plays as good as it looks 😀

Y_9hN_qqW7Df6UzQ6uKD7sPeOXitL83pHDeFVEPv

CyY0aa32tgkA2y6fA7QAEM5vDZVWur2dTh_HnzBf

• Like 1

Love the headstock, you succeeded way better in combining the Gibson moustache to a PRS headstock than I did!

There's one thing I've noticed in several guitars regardless of the builder. Is it a "thing" or just tradition? I'm talking about carving the body for easy access and leaving the neck rectangular. Does the symmetric shape eliminate warping or something like that? Is there a reason why builders don't carve the neck round up to the body?

image.png.6a3b541a6c9c7f10f7f4a9c2796ff911.png

• Like 1

Thanks, I’ve done that headstock a fair few times now as my signature headstock shape. It was very awkward the first couple of times, but now that I’ve mastered it, it only takes 10-15mins, I draw round a little paper template, rough it on the band saw, shape on the spindle sander then put in the little dip in the middle with jewellers files.

When I made the other lp type guitar at the same time as this one originally, It had a blended carve 

xpkVro4_nETjG14H2CyjPCiYIS0CA3GlTQTOE5vL

I like a little bit of meat on the heel personally so I left it on this one. I imagine more on the neck is better for sustain and tuning stability etc but I don’t it makes a huge difference.

36 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Thanks, I’ve done that headstock a fair few times now as my signature headstock shape. It was very awkward the first couple of times, but now that I’ve mastered it, it only takes 10-15mins, I draw round a little paper template, rough it on the band saw, shape on the spindle sander then put in the little dip in the middle with jewellers files.

When I made the other lp type guitar at the same time as this one originally, It had a blended carve 

xpkVro4_nETjG14H2CyjPCiYIS0CA3GlTQTOE5vL

I like a little bit of meat on the heel personally so I left it on this one. I imagine more on the neck is better for sustain and tuning stability etc but I don’t it makes a huge difference.

Yes - I think it's just a personal preference thing.  Very much doubt that it makes any tangible difference to strength or stability.  Sound?  Well maybe - it will change the stiffness a little and the relief shape - but I doubt very much anything that could be heard.

• Like 1

Well we have a working guitar (acoustically). I am SUPER happy with how it’s come out. There are swirl marks to sort, but I’m waiting on compounds and it’s going to take several weeks for delivery apparently, so set it up for now. 

It has occurred to me though that I have less of an idea how to wire it that I had thought.. I was going to wire it up as per the PRS pauls guitar - all pup wires go to the mini toggles then the toggles go out to the switch and switch to volume.

but it has occurred to me that the pauls is using 408 pickups which have an additional wire (green), that doesn’t exist in the hfs and vintage bass pups I’m using.

I’ll link the pauls guitar schematic if anyone has any ideas!?

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

The pups I’m using have white, black and red with shielding for earth. 

The 408s in the above schematic have red white black green and shielding as earth  

fu_0hRiPa54iQZODJYHiCDAmyVcz9nN1lqFpJfdA

9 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Well we have a working guitar (acoustically). I am SUPER happy with how it’s come out. There are swirl marks to sort, but I’m waiting on compounds and it’s going to take several weeks for delivery apparently, so set it up for now. 

It has occurred to me though that I have less of an idea how to wire it that I had thought.. I was going to wire it up as per the PRS pauls guitar - all pup wires go to the mini toggles then the toggles go out to the switch and switch to volume.

but it has occurred to me that the pauls is using 408 pickups which have an additional wire (green), that doesn’t exist in the hfs and vintage bass pups I’m using.

I’ll link the pauls guitar schematic if anyone has any ideas!?

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

The pups I’m using have white, black and red with shielding for earth. 

The 408s in the above schematic have red white black green and shielding as earth  

fu_0hRiPa54iQZODJYHiCDAmyVcz9nN1lqFpJfdA

guitar looks magic!  nice work.

I don't know the prs pickups wire colors, and it's hard to know w/o knowing are those on/on/on switches? seems probably that they are and they make the opposite connections in the middle position?  so in pos 1 you get outter coils, middle you get humbucker, and pos3 you get other coil?

if your pus have 3 wires I would bet the middle wire is just a coild tap... ie the series connection between the two coils.  this would make your wiring a bit more difficult to get either coil... either way the first place to start is what do the wire colors represent?

13 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

guitar looks magic!  nice work.

I don't know the prs pickups wire colors, and it's hard to know w/o knowing are those on/on/on switches? seems probably that they are and they make the opposite connections in the middle position?  so in pos 1 you get outter coils, middle you get humbucker, and pos3 you get other coil?

if your pus have 3 wires I would bet the middle wire is just a coild tap... ie the series connection between the two coils.  this would make your wiring a bit more difficult to get either coil... either way the first place to start is what do the wire colors represent?

The toggles are dp on on switches so the options are humbucker or tapped. The white wire is live, black earth and red indeed coiltap but I’m struggling to translate that onto the pauls schematic 

The toggles are dp on on switches so the options are humbucker or tapped. The white wire is live, black earth and red indeed coiltap 

Okay I'm driving in my car right now, but when I get home I can probably answer that. With on on it would be much simpler than they have it drawn there all you have to do is take that middle wire and tap it to ground in one of the positions and you'll get single

34 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Okay I'm driving in my car right now, but when I get home I can probably answer that. With on on it would be much simpler than they have it drawn there all you have to do is take that middle wire and tap it to ground in one of the positions and you'll get single

Okay at a stoplight... So White's go to either side of the three-way blacksmith go to ground and the red is going to go to the middle log on either dpdt switch. Then the opposite log on either dpdt switch is going to go to ground. That should do it I can drop diagram when I get home

sent you a diagram via pm, but also found this: https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/PRS_Humbucking_Pickups.html

it is interesting to note that stew mac shows polarity and doesn't have a bridge vs neck... it could mean that by splitting both this way you wouldn't get hum canceling when combined i you'd get two north poles.  if that is the case... then you'd have to wire the second dpdt up differently... sending the live from the 3 way to the middle lug, then one outter lug to the red, one outter lug to the white, black going to ground.  Can draw that up... but might be over thinking it.

Here's the PRS slip that comes with pickups of this type.

Note that for the correct phasing, the hot and ground are reversed between the bridge and neck (Treble and Bass).

I like PRS guitars, but do they have to do EVERYTHING differently...even the terminology!

0bd9946c36d54aea2503974becad0406.thumb.png.f8312e8c8a6488bdef4b35cada811867.png

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Note that for the correct phasing, the hot and ground are reversed between the bridge and neck (Treble and Bass).

I like PRS guitars, but do they have to do EVERYTHING differently...even the terminology!

Yep this is something I learn't the hard way the very first time I wired this guitar up, with two 57/08s the pickups were out of phase. When I wired up the ziricote guitar, I swapped the black/white wire round for the bridge and it resolved the earlier phasing problem.

53 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Any idea what would happen if I did this circuit with an on/on switch? 

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 10.25.56.png

it would just give you split.  would work just fine, in fact it is what I suggested in my pm. 

funny, what andy proposed above is the alt solution for what I was saying earlier to avoid getting a N to N connection.  you are just changing the order of the one pickup to be SN instead of NS. 

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Funny, every PRS pup I've bought from their official store hasn't come with this slip, it comes with a little card that says to take your guitar to a certified technician :D 

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

Funny, every PRS pup I've bought from their official store hasn't come with this slip, it comes with a little card that says to take your guitar to a certified technician :D 

As I say, PRS do insist on doing everything differently.  If one didn't love them, one could get a bit irritated with them ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

As I say, PRS do insist on doing everything differently.  If one didn't love them, one could get a bit irritated with them ;)

yep, one is irritated by them! Annoyingly there is absolutely no info out there on the 408 pickups and what the colours denote, so I am struggling to translate the 408s 4 wires + earth to the 3 wires + earth in all their other pickups (in a way that I understand anyway) 

3 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

yep, one is irritated by them! Annoyingly there is absolutely no info out there on the 408 pickups and what the colours denote, so I am struggling to translate the 408s 4 wires + earth to the 3 wires + earth in all their other pickups (in a way that I understand anyway) 

7 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think the reason they do this stems from some of the other things they do.  with their rotary switch for instance... if you want to get inside coils vs outside coils the orientation makes it work.  if you try it with a seymour, you'd have to rev the wires.

16 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I think the reason they do this stems from some of the other things they do.  with their rotary switch for instance... if you want to get inside coils vs outside coils the orientation makes it work.  if you try it with a seymour, you'd have to rev the wires.

Yeah the 408 apparently has that feature where in coiltapped mode it uses some turns from the other coil, I'm guessing that is where the other wire comes in. One of their models can be both coil tapped and coil split with 3-way mini toggles. I have far simpler tastes :D 

Yeah the 408 apparently has that feature where in coiltapped mode it uses some turns from the other coil, I'm guessing that is where the other wire comes in. One of their models can be both coil tapped and coil split with 3-way mini toggles. I have far simpler tastes :D 

so basically a partial tap on the second coil.  I like that they do interesting stuff... just might be a good idea to not go the direction of apple and make wiring/color info more widely available.