Ovangkol LP rebuild

7 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

She works! I used the the diagram for the on/off/on switch as suggested and it did exactly as I wanted, just flipped the white and black wires on for the bridge toggle. 

Many thanks chaps 🙏 looking forward to making some noise tomorrow. 

nothing like the thrill... that first time plugging it in.  Got a taste myself last night -I was playing guitar till almost 10pm!  (that's really late for grandpa here!)  Fired up and worked right out the gate.  First thing I'm gonna do when I get home.

Anywho, this is about you: congrats on a fantastically successful build. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

She works! I used the the diagram for the on/off/on switch as suggested and it did exactly as I wanted, just flipped the white and black wires on for the bridge toggle. 

Many thanks chaps 🙏 looking forward to making some noise tomorrow. 

Excellent news! :)

• Like 1

Outstanding! Reading the previous page and trying to understand all the diagrams would have made my hair grow grey if I had any... Well done young man! 😃

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Outstanding! Reading the previous page and trying to understand all the diagrams would have made my hair grow grey if I had any... Well done young man! 😃

haha yep, I still have a full head of it, but it has been on the turn since my daughter was born. For the record, I understand nothing of wiring! fortunately following the above schematic worked, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to do.

I dunno, no matter how much you dust off a guitar, when you go to take photos, it's covered again. Firstly - everything wrong with it:

- The weird white marks in the figure on the back, no idea what it is exactly, but it is the wood
- Annoyed at myself for getting the joint the wrong way round with sap wood in the middle on one side, but I didn't know any better at the time
- Some marks between the pickups where I sanded through and built up the poly again, fortunately the strings hide it well.
- The dog never left me any ovangkol offcuts from the body so I had to use a neck offcut, although it's ovangkol, it looks nothing like the body wood.
- and as @Bizman62 pointed out, the 6th tuner is on the piss.

Anyway, apart from all that, Tada! Will do a demo video soon.

opp6-O6F2O-XItmqwExZabxcXaMZZP6gN4WxnFXx

lJru6Tt7OjnZfOSN6mwTnE8BT_UVhVposnyydKW2

gfYCvFCSyM0fJheuC-tbuuGQvvbXJfSQOFVMe19k

PG_NM9G5Stmy7iKh2yu_3t5uBtZWap5Ed3erynTv

MtQN1u5R7Zas-nqsZ76MhHLfkbu2tcqyck1YcFRE

maHtYRxM8Q1ADuNv-EjrEfrGaXuX6RgJ8kB4dlWT

q4OSdjr9CYY5EA-wYlV9yrkFkRVatIJC-b-42CLT

ZqyiTRpEPERKXC9ullp61TYfQnVlDtGomFS8reqq

H9WXMfardJ0TTp8LMbnrXZ7NilaiO-lSULeNwZ45

q6bNeqI80lucgwJDOnvDNOr1bKUrpcOtbTre9e93

vSQWsvzvq9rmSDQnNtXcma1KIOrKEJFNHrGLxYb5

L0HSxJVK5B6iwLPsL5B6QrDQGrIiB9Suxj8mJqBO

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Firstly - everything wrong with it: 

Not everything... The low E tuner is slanted.

Dusting off just the guitar only spreads the dust airborne and while you put the rag back in the cupboard and get your camera it will land again on the shiniest surface around. Hoover the entire house and wipe the sofa and the carpet with a damp rag before wiping the guitar. Your wife will love you for that! 😏

11 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Not everything... The low E tuner is slanted.

Dusting off just the guitar only spreads the dust airborne and while you put the rag back in the cupboard and get your camera it will land again on the shiniest surface around. Hoover the entire house and wipe the sofa and the carpet with a damp rag before wiping the guitar. Your wife will love you for that! 😏

Lol. thanks for pointing all that out!

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

I dunno, no matter how much you dust off a guitar, when you go to take photos, it's covered again. Firstly - everything wrong with it:

- The weird white marks in the figure on the back, no idea what it is exactly, but it is the wood
- Annoyed at myself for getting the joint the wrong way round with sap wood in the middle on one side, but I didn't know any better at the time
- Some marks between the pickups where I sanded through and built up the poly again, fortunately the strings hide it well.
- The dog never left me any ovangkol offcuts from the body so I had to use a neck offcut, although it's ovangkol, it looks nothing like the body wood.
- and as @Bizman62 pointed out, the 6th tuner is on the piss.

Anyway, apart from all that, Tada! Will do a demo video soon.

opp6-O6F2O-XItmqwExZabxcXaMZZP6gN4WxnFXx

lJru6Tt7OjnZfOSN6mwTnE8BT_UVhVposnyydKW2

gfYCvFCSyM0fJheuC-tbuuGQvvbXJfSQOFVMe19k

PG_NM9G5Stmy7iKh2yu_3t5uBtZWap5Ed3erynTv

MtQN1u5R7Zas-nqsZ76MhHLfkbu2tcqyck1YcFRE

maHtYRxM8Q1ADuNv-EjrEfrGaXuX6RgJ8kB4dlWT

q4OSdjr9CYY5EA-wYlV9yrkFkRVatIJC-b-42CLT

ZqyiTRpEPERKXC9ullp61TYfQnVlDtGomFS8reqq

H9WXMfardJ0TTp8LMbnrXZ7NilaiO-lSULeNwZ45

q6bNeqI80lucgwJDOnvDNOr1bKUrpcOtbTre9e93

vSQWsvzvq9rmSDQnNtXcma1KIOrKEJFNHrGLxYb5

L0HSxJVK5B6iwLPsL5B6QrDQGrIiB9Suxj8mJqBO

had no one mentioned the tuner I wouldn't have noticed(r u sure he's your friend?  lol), still really can't see any of the other things you mentioned esp the sapwood comment - I think it looks great as the gain comes together to make an arrow.  These are all things that almost no one but a luthier would notice... I wouldn't beat yourself up at all - it's an amazing build - don't question that for a minute.  I look at my latest build and see a list of things I would have liked to have done differently... and also now when I look at factory guitars I see all sorts of things I don't like... that is the curse side of this hobby!  was so blissfully ignorant before!

19 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I see all sorts of things I don't like... that is the curse side of this hobby!

Wiser words have rarely been said.

What adds to knowledge adds to pain.

Waiting to hear how she sounds, and I'd also like to feel the neck.

Edited by Bizman62
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

had no one mentioned the tuner I wouldn't have noticed(r u sure he's your friend?  lol), still really can't see any of the other things you mentioned esp the sapwood comment - I think it looks great as the gain comes together to make an arrow.  These are all things that almost no one but a luthier would notice... I wouldn't beat yourself up at all - it's an amazing build - don't question that for a minute.  I look at my latest build and see a list of things I would have liked to have done differently... and also now when I look at factory guitars I see all sorts of things I don't like... that is the curse side of this hobby!  was so blissfully ignorant before!

Ha yeah he used to be alright. To think I voted for him in GOTM as well! 

Thanks man 😀🤘

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Wiser words have rarely been said.

What adds to knowledge adds to pain.

Waiting to hear how she sounds, and I'd also like to feel the neck.

The neck feels awesome, it had a few coats of danish oil but almost feels like bare wood, I shan’t use crimson oil for necks again. I will do a demo, probs at the weekend- limited to when I can make noise due to the tiny human. 

That's a major improvement over the original Ash. And it is my favorite finishing job of the builds you posted here so far....hope to see many more!

I always set my tuners up following the curve of the headstock. There are no rules to building these things other than getting the scale right.

SR

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That's a major improvement over the original Ash. And it is my favorite finishing job of the builds you posted here so far....hope to see many more!

I always set my tuners up following the curve of the headstock. There are no rules to building these things other than getting the scale right.

SR

Thanks man, best of all it weighs 8lb 13oz instead of > 12lb :D 

• Like 1

Outstanding brother! If I had that I’d be playing Opeth on it all night. It has an unbelievable sophisticated savagery, at home with jazz or drop D evil!

Bravo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, komodo said:

Outstanding brother! If I had that I’d be playing Opeth on it all night. It has an unbelievable sophisticated savagery, at home with jazz or drop D evil!

Bravo.

Thanks dude, it’s actually tuned to drop C 😀🤘 and I have a got a gig next weekend so it will be getting its maiden voyage soon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, komodo said:

sophisticated savagery

I couldn't describe her better in my native language!

Forums like this really broaden my expressing skills in English, hopefully still leaving the grammar I learned at school intact.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How does it play? Still in the honeymoon?

Everytime I finish one, I play for a little bit and then switch to another guitar I haven’t played in awhile and fall in love with that one. Then after some time, I revisit the new build and fall in love again. Maybe just a little time and distance apart after giving birth to it? I dunno. Maybe I’m just a little slut.

44 minutes ago, komodo said:

How does it play? Still in the honeymoon?

Everytime I finish one, I play for a little bit and then switch to another guitar I haven’t played in awhile and fall in love with that one. Then after some time, I revisit the new build and fall in love again. Maybe just a little time and distance apart after giving birth to it? I dunno. Maybe I’m just a little slut.

Love it mate, it played it's first gig on Saturday. I took the ziricote as a spare in case it went on fire :D but it played well and stayed in tune for the whole set.  I especially like the stainless steel frets, I hated doing the fretwork but it was well worth the effort - They just seem brighter than previous frets, but that could also be the semi-hollow affect. The volume pot is rubbish but I've been waiting on some more PRS pots in the post so I'm going to get it swapped out over the weekend. I haven't owned a single cut in a few years so really enjoying the toggle switch where it is. I think the next DC PRS style build I do will have to have the mcarty style toggle in the upper horn as well. Either that or I could install a piezo in the ziricote to fill the position of the switch and move it up to the horn. So many options!