Voting for August 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
VOTE HERE

mistermikev

cakewalk sonar free??? guess I'm the last to know???

was reading today... up to speed gibson closed down cakewalk, bandlab bought it... and now the latest version with melodyne, virtual instruments, plugins etc are FREE???!!!  I started out on cakewalk when it was midi only... back in the days!  Have tried it here and there over the years and just didn't like the piano roll editor as much as others... but always missed the sysx... well now it's free and I'm all over it!  Just thought anyone in here who is looking for an EXCELLENT PRO DAW plus a bunch of top notch plugins might benefit - hope so!  cheers

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip, just downloading it.

I'll have to check it out also! I'm sure the rapid pace and development of software/standards will end up leaving SONAR in the dust, but yes, I grew up on Cakewalk Pro Audio v6. Man, good times.

On 4/5/2019 at 6:02 AM, ADFinlayson said:

Not available for mac 😢

mac... WHYYYYYYYYYYY!  "Do you have anything that doesn't perform any better, is completely proprietary, and costs 4x?  Yessir we do... you want a mac!"  Art dept uses mac... god I hate having to support them.  I guess they have hurt me... and I haven't healed. 

12 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Thanks for the tip, just downloading it.

glad someone got some use of this!  I played with it quite a bit and it really does have some nice features like track templates.  Still am not a huge fan of the piano roll.  Also, the main motivation for me was sysex... if you save a dump of your guitar patch... you can set it up to automagically load that patch back into your device when you load up a song.  This is very useful as I tend to mess with my guitar sounds so much... and then later want to go back and add to a recording only to discover I can't quite get the sm sound.  After jacking around for a while with it, I learned that my podhd is incapable of sysex bulk dump (POS!).  Don't laugh... the pod does a lot of things well, but I'm about done w it, shouldn't have ever sold my digitech 2112!

Just now, Prostheta said:

I'll have to check it out also! I'm sure the rapid pace and development of software/standards will end up leaving SONAR in the dust, but yes, I grew up on Cakewalk Pro Audio v6. Man, good times.

apparently the new owner has big plans for regaining a signif part of the marketplace but he's got an uphill battle.  Honestly sonar is software that tries to do everything, and does more than most, but some of it is VERY buggy.  try to move a track off the screen... instant kaos... but prog doesn't even handle it gracefully... you just all-of-the-sudden can't open your track or do anything with it.  Found a few issues like that... nothing that would stop me from using it but kind of made me wonder what I'd find if I really got to know it.