Finished Pics! Phoenix Dreadnought Acoustic

18 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Yep, beautiful. Every time I see work like this, it makes me want to have a go at acoustic building.

There's a steep learning curve and loads of homemade jigs but it takes no more woodworking skills than a solid build.  And immensely satisfying when the result sounds tangibly better than string over a baked bean can!

Go for it, I reckon :)

• Like 1

I passed this across to Matt this afternoon.

I'm pleased and relieved to say that he is very, very pleased with it :D

He will doing a proper recording at some stage of it, but this was a quick couple of mobile-phone clips I did of him playing it 'straight out of the box' :

https://youtu.be/-Bckzvnup7I

https://youtu.be/4qQ9iHK22IE

I'm well chuffed :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

He will doing a proper recording at some stage of it, but this was a quick couple of mobile-phone clips I did of him playing it 'straight out of the box' :

Sounds great Andy

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:37 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

Outstanding Andy!

I really enjoyed Matt's playing too.

You surely ought to be chuffed.

SR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Never mind the work that went into it, or how good it looks, you can tell just by listening to it how well set up that thing is. Amazing work Andy, if I had just a modicum of your skills, I would consider myself a Wizard. 

Very kind of you to say, @ADFinlayson, but I've seen some of your own skills on show.  Welcome to the coven :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Are we back up and live?  Can anyone hear me??? :)

No, I can't hear anything but your typing came brightly through.

Did you feel like someone had removed your house without warning as well? Beamed it to an alien space ship by an extra-terrestrial collector? Fortunately the Doctor apparently came to the rescue! 👽

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Did you feel like someone had removed your house without warning as well? Beamed it to an alien space ship by an extra-terrestrial collector? Fortunately the Doctor apparently came to the rescue! 👽

You've got it in one!  That's exactly how I felt  :D;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

You've got it in one!  That's exactly how I felt  :D

Some pleasing feedback from Matt about the Phoenix.  He text me last night with this:

"...genuinely thrilled with it.  Think it sounds bigger even than #001 <that is the one of my own that he has been borrowing for the videos and was the one that he could keep if this new one wasn't at least as good sounding - phew! :)  >   I've shown it to a select group of pupils and they are equally blown away by the depth of tone and build quality!"

And - recklessly casting modesty aside - that is from a guy who does the demo videos for a VERY well respected UK acoustic brand :)

I am chuffed beyond chuffness.  What a great, great hobby this is...  :D

• Like 4

Well it’s a damn fine axe, glad you’re chuffed with your results. It’s funny isn’t it how us amateurs (at best in my case) can build something in our garages that genuinely blows away experienced musicians. I had an actual PRS endorsee come up to at a gig a few weeks ago to ask my about my Private Stock PRS, I thought he was taking the piss but we are now in talks about me building him something next year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Some pleasing feedback from Matt about the Phoenix.  He text me last night with this:

"...genuinely thrilled with it.  Think it sounds bigger even than #001 <that is the one of my own that he has been borrowing for the videos and was the one that he could keep if this new one wasn't at least as good sounding - phew! :)  >   I've shown it to a select group of pupils and they are equally blown away by the depth of tone and build quality!"

And - recklessly casting modesty aside - that is from a guy who does the demo videos for a VERY well respected UK acoustic brand :)

I am chuffed beyond chuffness.  What a great, great hobby this is...  :D

Outstanding Andy!

That kind of feedback makes the sun seem a little brighter, the stars more sparkly, and the moon close enough to touch.

SR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

"...genuinely thrilled with it

I wish I could say that about my own builds, no matter how biased that opinion would be!

If a professional demo guitarist says that about "some garage build" you should consider yourself as a Master Luthier. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

I wish I could say that about my own builds, no matter how biased that opinion would be!

If a professional demo guitarist says that about "some garage build" you should consider yourself as a Master Luthier. 👍

You know what they say, the true masters are the ones who never accept they are masters because they are striving so hard to be better :)

In my case, it's much simpler than that...I know I am nowhere near.  ;)

3 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Well it’s a damn fine axe, glad you’re chuffed with your results. It’s funny isn’t it how us amateurs (at best in my case) can build something in our garages that genuinely blows away experienced musicians. I had an actual PRS endorsee come up to at a gig a few weeks ago to ask my about my Private Stock PRS, I thought he was taking the piss but we are now in talks about me building him something next year. 

I'm not surprised - I've seen your builds :)

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, curtisa said:

Late to the party, but I must also extend my congratulations to you on completing that beautiful instrument. The fact that Matt was that pleased with the completed instrument is a testament to your skills as a builder.

Oh, and tell Matt he's a bit of a showoff ;)

He already knows :lol:

Welcome back, by the way.  How was the holiday?  The rain was p*****g it down on us in Scotland while you were in England!  Did you escape it?

Andy