Perhaps a scroll, definitely 3 single coils, and maybe an F hole.

57 minutes ago, komodo said:

I could stare at the contour of the back cover plate forever. Incredible.

Judging by your switch position, you are favoring the neck pup. What does it the guitar sound like?

That is probably just where the switch ended up after wiping the dust off..........but in point of fact I do typically favor the neck position. I like the warmth and the width (think fat) of the neck pickup. Which may explain why I like P-90s so much.

All three pickups are wound to a little over 9 ohms. The P-90s bark, bight and growl and can push the amp pretty good with a sharp attack. They are wound and wired like a strat. The middle pickup is b=very strat like albeit a bit fatter due to the high wind. The second and forth switch positions sound like you'd expect a warm strat to sound like in those positions. Under high attack though, they have more quack than any strat I've ever heard. Very edgy and roadhouse bluesy.. Think a sultry voiced Bobby Blue Bland with a broken longneck in one hand and a bullwhip in the other,

SR

21 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Your style really has evolved with each build Scott. This is somewhere out in the realms of a Starship Troopers bug and Carl Thompson's oddity. Lovely.

Thank you sir.

One design does seem to lead to the next when they are swirling around in my head....

SR

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 9:39 PM, mistermikev said:

congratulations on a well deserved and hard fought win!  truly spectacular build!

On 12/8/2019 at 2:25 AM, Andyjr1515 said:

Many congrats, Scott.  

T0p class winner against top class competition.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:56 AM, Norris said:

Congratulations!

Thanks gents.

I truly believe there should have been 5 winners this month.

SR

• Like 4

2 hours ago, komodo said:

This one may very well be my favorite of yours. I'd like to see the other two you are already working on....ahahaha. 

Thanks Jeff.

AS it happens, I did glue up another body with that super light black limba, and I started a neck with the rosewood when I made the neck for this one. It's always been my plan to make another out of the same materials and plan--a brother build if you will. Humbuckers this time.

SR

The limba rosewood combo is so great. I have to imagine it sounds incredible with the P90s. 

If you get a chance, try the Pau Ferro for a neck. It’s very rosewood-like, but I believe superior in it’s stiffness (string vibration transfer), and has a “tap tone” maybe a little more like cocobolo. To me, the limba has the meatiness of mahogany but includes this incredible, focused upper mid that rings like a bell. It’s very forward without being too much. That tele is easily my fav guitar at this point.

31 minutes ago, komodo said:

Holy cow, phone issues. Can we delete the extras?!

I'm scared to. I tried to delete one of my posts once and the whole damn thread disappeared.

I was actually looking for Pau Ferro for a neck because I was so enamored with the one you built. My local hardwood store has a ton of good stuff but no pau ferro. So I "settled" for rosewood.

The P-90s and the P-90/strat middle combo dominate the sound of this thing. It would be tough to tell what influence the wood has on it.

AS far as stiff neck material goes, I highly recommend jatoba. I have several necks and they are crazy rigid and still full of life. The one I made from Osage orange was pretty impressive as well.Osage Indians prized it for making bows, and there bows were prized for being some of the best available....or so I've read.

SR

Ahahahha thanks! It does make me want to copy and paste it again three times. lol

@ScottR I’ve worked jatoba a little and it is ridiculously hard! It’s prized for flooring because of that. Pau Ferro doesn’t feel as heavy or stiff, but when you machine it, it’s very very apparent. It works well with hand tools though. It wasn’t my fav until I made that neck. 

It’s going to be interesting to see how the ebony neck compares to it, though sonically everything else is different - so it’ll be pure conjecture.

• 2 weeks later...