Perhaps a scroll, definitely 3 single coils, and maybe an F hole.

OOOoooo those will be nice! 
I've got a P90 set I had custom wound at 8 and 8.5 and have been dying to build something to put them in. But I don't have any more room for any more guitars!  After my Trisonic build, I may try to do one as simple and clean as possible, no figured wood and use those P90s. It's what I started doing before it morphed into that metal tele. 

6 hours ago, komodo said:

OOOoooo those will be nice! 
I've got a P90 set I had custom wound at 8 and 8.5 and have been dying to build something to put them in. But I don't have any more room for any more guitars!  After my Trisonic build, I may try to do one as simple and clean as possible, no figured wood and use those P90s. It's what I started doing before it morphed into that metal tele. 

You should do that. That rather sounds like a description of an LP jr.

It's a crime to make a custom set of P-90s live on the shelf instead of under the strings.

SR

Routed the truss rod channel. Both sides.

C02370.jpg

I had a little eighth inch dowel laying around and decided to use that for pins to locate my fretboard for gluing.

C02371.jpg

I like to cover the slot with some trimmed back scotch tape prior to adding glue.

C02373.jpg

Glued up the fretboard (and skipped the obligatory clamp forest shot), added a burl headstock plate and separated the Siamese twin necks.

C02374.jpg

C02375.jpg

SR

• Like 2

I like to drill the tuner holes before cutting the headstock to its final thickness.....like I ever do that.

C02377.jpg

Those of you with pristine organised shops can just bite me! I 've got a squeezed little corner of the garage and I fill it up and use it.

C02378.jpg

I've been squaring up edges after rough cutting the neck. It's a little tough to tell where the cocobolo stops and the rosewood begins...C02379.jpgC02380.jpgC02381.jpg

SR

• Like 3

NOW I know what has puzzled me with your headstock design!

First, it's somewhat like a reversed map of Italy.

Second, it looks just like part of the logo I've been planning for quite a while!!! Great minds etc...

logo.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

NOW I know what has puzzled me with your headstock design!

First, it's somewhat like a reversed map of Italy.

Second, it looks just like part of the logo I've been planning for quite a while!!! Great minds etc...

logo.JPG

I never picked up on the Italian similarities before. Now I always will.:)

Looking forward to seeing your logo in action.

SR

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I usually use small brads. These were a better fit and no worries about cutting through them.

SR

right on... looks like a pretty rock solid way to do it.  perhaps more effort than typical but looks like it would result in more precision than typical.  I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind.  I usually use penny nails, just drill a hole through once I have it clamped and push the nail in... then pull them once glued... but the nails do somewhat get in the way of clamping.  Long story short... I like your method!

• Like 1

Cocobolo always darkens on its own. it's already loaded with oil. This piece has been in my garage for at least 8 years, so it's held up pretty well. I expect it will get lighter and show some orange when I sand it....and then darken back to where it is now.

SR

It looks really good, @ScottR  :)

I love the look of cocobolo...but I'll admit I found it one of the hardest materials to work with.  It is soooo oily I had challenges filing it, sanding it and gluing it!  I did the old acetone wiping and everything but I still ended up having to epoxy the fretboard on - the one and only time I've ever had to resort to that.  

Do you do anything special to work it and work with it?

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It looks really good, @ScottR  :)

I love the look of cocobolo...but I'll admit I found it one of the hardest materials to work with.  It is soooo oily I had challenges filing it, sanding it and gluing it!  I did the old acetone wiping and everything but I still ended up having to epoxy the fretboard on - the one and only time I've ever had to resort to that.  

Do you do anything special to work it and work with it?

I've done the acetone wipe and epoxy thing a couple of times too. Then I read some comments by the guy that runs the Hobbit House exotic wood site that he just sands it just prior to gluing with wood glue and has never had problems. Since then, I've just sanded the gluing surface with 80 grit just prior to glue up and have never had a problem either.

SR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I've done the acetone wipe and epoxy thing a couple of times too. Then I read some comments by the guy that runs the Hobbit House exotic wood site that he just sands it just prior to gluing with wood glue and has never had problems. Since then, I've just sanded the gluing surface with 80 grit just prior to glue up and have never had a problem either.

SR

Useful stuff - thanks, @Scott.  I'll try that next time.

Andy

C02393.jpg

Time to sign the volute.

C02395.jpgC02397.jpgC02398.jpg

I thought I'd have a polished fretboard to show off at this point. Instead, I've got to replace a couple of dots that got sanded through. I placed the nut so I could see how even the radius was. It was off a bit and correcting it took out a couple of dots. I noticed that I got the other end uneven too, so correcting that may eat a few more dots. I decided to stop at that point.

C02399.jpg

SR

• Like 2

Some people just seem to know what to do with their tools. To me your signed volute is a similar trademark as the red soles in those dirty expensive Louboutin shoes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mistermikev said:

easily one of the best headstock designs ever.  love yours.  the curve at the end is not only beautiful but I bet it makes that headstock very rigid.  form AND function... nice.

Thanks Mike. My earliest versions  actually had a little spine that ran from the volute to the carve at the top end. As you surmise., the idea was to add strength and rigidity against the pull of the strings.

SR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Some people just seem to know what to do with their tools. To me your signed volute is a similar trademark as the red soles in those dirty expensive Louboutin shoes.

Thank you Sir Biz.  I've always wondered if those red soles made the women not want to wear the shoes for fear of scuffing up the red. The shoes would tend to last longer that way, but nobody would rush to buy a new par after wearing out the old ones.

SR

I had an early weekend, so my weekend update is coming early. On the other hand I'm traveling next week, so the next update may come late.

I got the fretboard sorted.

C02404.jpgC02407.jpgC02408.jpgC02411.jpgThat's the new 3M premium painters tape. Plastic and much more resistant to sanding than the paper stuff. After fretting, on to craving the neck.

C02414.jpgC02415.jpg

SR

• Like 3