Perhaps a scroll, definitely 3 single coils, and maybe an F hole.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, ScottR said:

ell hello sir, long time no see. Last I remember you were setting yourself up for some child rearing. I hope that has gone well.

sure thing Scott! thanks for asking. 

Time to get back to woodworking. I've got some long due projects, time to start building again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

it is starting to look like a guitar.

I'd rather call that a piece of art that functions as a guitar. It's not only that you know how to use your tools for such a smooth finish, the more important thing is that you can visualize such forms in a square blank. <there wasn't any drooling smiley>

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mistermikev said:

that just looks outstanding!🤩🤩🤩

Thanks Mike.

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I'd rather call that a piece of art that functions as a guitar. It's not only that you know how to use your tools for such a smooth finish, the more important thing is that you can visualize such forms in a square blank. <there wasn't any drooling smiley>

This has often been repeated, but I have just read that Michelangelo said it first: I just carved away the parts that weren't David.

Oh, and you have to go way to the bottom for the drooly.B-)

That's where all the best ones are IMHO.

6 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Always enthralled by your carvings.  It is sculpture more than it is carving.  

Thanks Andy. I do try to make all the contours look like they belong together. This one still has a bit of bulk to lose, and quite a few lines to refine, but I think it is possible to see where it is going.

4 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Absolutely, it's given me something to aspire to, and I'll be timing my GOTM entries around this one :D 

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you have been inspired to do Ash.

SR

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 3:17 AM, Muzz said:

So much soul in this guitar Scott, I love it. It is amazing the difference a one piece top makes, just don't put a guitar with a book matched top too close to it, the book match will warp up with embarrassment  

Thanks Muzz, good to hear from you again,

I must admit I am loving this top.

SR

1 hour ago, ZekeB said:

Man you did great on the swirl.  It's a booger to keep that full and symmetrical.  Were you worried about the tip breaking?

Thanks Zeke. the tip did not cause me any worry. It is pretty stout....and I allow myself a little freedom in the design. If it broke, I'd just adjust the carve a little to account for the new shape and act like I did it on purpose.

:D

The part that gives me more headaches is keeping the gap even and gradually spreading like a watch spring unwinding. I balancing the fact that I think a smaller gaps looks best with the danger of building a thumb trap.

:blink:

SR

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

Holy frickin' moly that's looking awesome 😮 Could you share how you achieved that carve on the top horn, it looks to awkward to get any type of power saw in there around the neck, and the wood looks to thick to cut with a any held saw I know of. What is the secret of your power? 

Thanks, Ash.

I made a small cut ( an inch, inch and a half maybe) with the band saw prior to glue up to sort of locate it. And after glue up I drilled a hole all the way through to locate the center opening. After that, it was hand carving with small palm gouges.....one chip at a time. I only had to go halfway through, from both sides.

SR

• Thanks 1