Green Glamrock Zebra

2 minutes ago, Danstinyexplorer said:

I passed a blow torch over it until the resinous parts turned black, gave it the lightest sanding then dropped some stain on.. followed it with danish oil and osmo wax

Gotta love the all-natural methods and ingredients! It's quite difficult to get an even finish with a blow torch but you've managed very well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Danstinyexplorer said:

The front has me in a pickle. Not sure if the spangly gold is too much. I kind of like it in its sparkly silliness!

AEEFC0EC-3088-4738-9698-5E365347F604.jpeg

just an opinion... but it's a bit much for me.  1 ply black would be epic.

Yepp... The gold and chrome don't quite match. Satin black or dark opaque or maybe a coffee brown to match the fingerboard? Or a dark chocolate tortoise?

I'm going with gold as well.  I'm thinking that the other colors are pretty dark and dependent on your finish it could get darker.   The gold is a good accent against that dark to me.   It also depends on the knobs.  If you go with something gold it'll stand out against the black.   I guess it just depends on your components you'll add as well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danstinyexplorer said:

Here’s a black one in the rough, not so sure about this one either!

I think I’ll flip a coin and stick one of them on for now whilst I keep an eye out for a suitable piece of walnut to to make one that matches the neck.........maybe!

2D0F5CD2-6172-4ED6-B51F-FFB4F3A1F9EF.jpeg

really ties the room together imo!

• Haha 1

One of my first builds was this same beautiful colour and I tried all sorts of colours for the pickguard...and to my surprise it was simple white that REALLY made the green/teal colour shine! Try it with a piece of white paper cut to shape in case it's the same here?

21 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Try it with a piece of white paper cut to shape

Gotta love the simple inexpensive tricks for testing things!

Seriously, why should one waste a piece of plastic (for pickguards) or abalone (for inlays) just for testing purposes if the result can be seen with a piece of paper or candy foil.

Edited by Bizman62
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

One of my first builds was this same beautiful colour and I tried all sorts of colours for the pickguard...and to my surprise it was simple white that REALLY made the green/teal colour shine! Try it with a piece of white paper cut to shape in case it's the same here?

I drew out a template on a bit of white card to start with, it looked nice but I found myself wanting something a bit wild and wacky. You could be right though, I suppose there’s enough going on there for it to still be distinctive whilst maintaining an element of plainness.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Danstinyexplorer said:

Here we go. Went black in the end and moved the position of the controls a little. Still needs some dots and a bit of finishing work on the frets. 

Fairly pleased how it turned out considering we don’t have an electric guitar in the house to use as reference!

DBA6189C-C97F-441D-BABF-F243D2CDF4CC.jpeg

looks great.  emerald really shines against that pickguard.  nice work.

• Like 1

She looks like something that could play some very nice airy melodies with a slightly disturbing twist. I mean, something like a Morgen humming ballads of love and yearning while seductively combing her hair by a spring to lure innocent farm boys to their watery grave...