workbench... what should one consider in terms of things to build into it?

mistermikev

so... about to redo my work bench. would be interested in input in terms of things one might think about incorporating

I was thinking I'd have half the top on one of the benches on hinges, and keep my chop saw on the shelf just below.  In theory I could just lift my chop saw out and use... then put it back, saving me perhaps half the lift from the floor to the top of the bench.  might be a waste as I rarely use it.

another thing I def want to incorporate is a spot for doing the joint on tops.  just a 1" slit in the top to run the router bit  and perhaps some holes at the back to slip a clamp through. 

I always build stuff and then immediately think of something else I should have done... in the interest of avoiding that: any things I might want to consider?  what features did you include in your work bench?  extra points for pics.

tap, tap, tap... is this thing on?  I'll be here all week folks.

anywho... it occurs to me today as I'm assembling 5' x 21" boxes out of 2x4s... it would be much easier to build this workbench if I could just set it on a longer workbench, lol.

I built a second bench last summer. I only needed 2 things from it - to be solid and to be able to slide stuff under it. So all parts apart from the top were made from 4x2s that I planed down around 3 1/2 squared. Used mortise and tenon joints for the legs and stretchers then the leg tennis went up through the top and all the joints had wooded dowels tapped through 

Its solid alright 💪

mfcTX1HP1puGWi0KkKnxNuJGNlOzQeL-ukNSGypv

ZQtvpab06URuON96jzLZFQeET4Y02T0FZtaiOcLd

lEa-ClABIYJjhiwgLnUEE3PLXRkcgcPtJLlIPIcx

nicely done.  my last workbench build I tried to go light... but as such it hasn't held up well.  Yours is, like many i've seen, very heavy duty.  I didn't go that heavy... just 2x4, but heavier than I went last time.   Made some good headway this weekend so... should be finished up today or sometime next week and plopping down some photos.

thanks for the feedback AD!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't know why I've never seen this thread, I don't usually stray from the build threads very often.

You need to see Scotts workbench, it's a thing of beauty and utility. And while his is the ultimate expression of what a guitar builders bench should be, the mighty WorkMate has been used more than any bench in the history of benches. I'd be lost without mine.

4 minutes ago, komodo said:

Don't know why I've never seen this thread, I don't usually stray from the build threads very often.

You need to see Scotts workbench, it's a thing of beauty and utility. And while his is the ultimate expression of what a guitar builders bench should be, the mighty WorkMate has been used more than any bench in the history of benches. I'd be lost without mine.

well... I've since built a work bench that is some 15' long.  with benches and jigs... some guys make them pretty but I only have two requirements: longevity and function.  after building 15' of very functional bench... I find I use 7' of it and the other 7' is just the place where I place the tools I'm 'gonna use again in a minute'.  long story long... probably could have just kept a 7' bench.

I get it. The Workmate only has a couple square feet of crap to move to another horizontal surface, and then I can move it outside to do routing operations. Even though I have a good cyclone collector, routing outside is beautiful. Hopefully @ScottR will document his bench here. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, komodo said:

I get it. The Workmate only has a couple square feet of crap to move to another horizontal surface, and then I can move it outside to do routing operations. Even though I have a good cyclone collector, routing outside is beautiful. Hopefully @ScottR will document his bench here. 

I'll try to remember to take some shots this weekend.

SR

• Like 1

Just now, ScottR said:

You've seen it.

It looks underwhelming....but it does everything I ask it to.

SR

hmm... well I don't recall.  but I'm guessing it's super heavy duty and probably pretty.  and it can talk???  that's a keeper.

• Haha 1

It is super heavy duty, but butt ugly. It has a bunch of reinforcing timbers inside and weighs about 80 lbs. I originally built it to hold logs that I was hitting with a mallet and chisel. Later I needed a third hand and bolted on the vise. Kind of a work-mate type idea. Once the guitar isw assembled, I screw a piece of plywood to it so it has a bigger surface.

DSC02945.JPGDSC02947.JPGDSC02948.JPG

Pure utility.

SR

• Like 1