Victim File No.2

Drak

Hi Ed!

It's Coco-Bolo, South American Rosewood, (Dalbergia Retusa)

The Rosewood family includes Indian Rosewood, Bolivian Rosewood, Coco-Bolo (South American Rosewood), and of course Brazilian Rosewood, probably some others too. They're all related and similar in properties (all are oily woods) but Coco-Bolo is my favorite. Good thing too since that's what my local wood guy used to carry! :D

This is the same guitar that had the blue Lacewood top on it I posted before. I (idiot) stripped the blue Lacewood off to try this one out... see pic here below...same guitar.

The body is 1-piece Ash hollowed out like a 335 with a solid centerstrip.So (when it's done) it will be like a Floyd-equipped 335 (kinda sorta)...

The first two actually, those tops both came off of the same piece of Myrtle, the figure just got better from one side of the board to the other...

Warlock-Snake.jpg

Drak those cocobolo tops are amazing! I recently acquired some cocbolo scraps that I was hoping to make some top design out of. Mine is not near that bright, mostly brown with minimal yellow streaking, does it vary that much from piece to piece or have you lightened it somehow? Also I've heard horror stories about how bad it is to work with, ie. toxic sanding dust, pain in the butt to glue. Can you lend any advice on any aspect of working with it. Please reply in newbie language, use crayon drawings if you must. :D

I love them! I'd like to consult with you on how to stain/dye my skull guitar (the one with LED's) soon. I have some ideas but I'd really like to talk them over with someone who has the experience that you have. All of your guitars seem to have a lot of depth in the finish and the colors seem to match very well with the wood. I like em. I like em a lot!

Hey Dave...that's why I post these, so if I can save anyone a landmine or two along the way, then good, 'cuz I've probably walked into every one of them eyes wide open!

Ask away any time you like (...but it might cost you an LED neck, or some nicey-nice instructions :D ) :D

Bingo, check out the guitar I just entered in the March GOTM, the Coco-Bolo Shark V.

You're looking at a guitar that took me SEVEN years to complete (finally finished it last summer) all due to the Coco-Bolo wood. I pretty much threw every type of finish formulation I knew of at that stuff until I finally found the winner. That guitar is a sheer testament to not ever giving up, never-say-die attitude, it almost made it into the dumpster more than once I got so mad at it so many times. But me like now! Mmmmmmmmmm!

Coco-Bolo no longer kick Drak where he sit. :D

To explain everything about working with oily woods would be almost a topic to itself, that's quite a hefty pile of information there, maybe we can get a mini-tut on it or something later on. If you have something very specific, ask away, but to address the whole topic of working with oily woods would be quite lengthy. B)

Mine is not near that bright, mostly brown with minimal yellow streaking, does it vary that much from piece to piece or have you lightened it somehow? Also I've heard horror stories about how bad it is to work with, ie. toxic sanding dust, pain in the butt to glue

1) Yes, it varies greatly from piece to piece, I look looong and hard to find the good ones I like.

2)I am not allergic to it at all, but wood is weird, I have heard tons of stories of severe allergic reactions to people working with different woods, it seems to be a personal thing, I am allergic to Perota, but almost nothing else at all. But as soon as any Perota dust is kicked up, I'm sneezing my butt off badly. It varies from person to person, but from what I understand, allergies can, and are, built up over the years, some luthiers have had to retire because they cannot get near any wood dust at all anymore... :D The answer to that is always wear a respirator.

3) Gluing...you have to wipe your surfaces off with Acetone, Naptha, Lacquer Thinner, something like that, before gluing up. As long as you wipe it thoroughly and glue up not too long afterward, you're usually OK. B)

www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/is.php?i=65239&img=Warlock-Coco.jpg

Its very rough right now, but instead of rounded areas, its not, kinda pointed, its hard to see with my crappy crop shop, but ohh well, you will somewhat get the picute, i hope

Haha, also, Drak, where can we check out this guitar you've posted for March GOTM (im new, so don't hit me if im overlooking the obvious).

Weezer i was talking about the Lacewood that Drak stripped off his Warlock, not your photoediting skills, i actuall quite admire them... :D

Mitch

awwww, thanks guys, you make me feel like my editing skills are actually good!! :DB) anyways, i drew it out by hand, and it got changed a bit more, i dont have a scanner, so i may have to draw it free hand on the computer to show you.......

Curtis

awwww, thanks guys, you make me feel like my editing skills are actually good!! :DB) anyways, i drew it out by hand, and it got changed a bit more, i dont have a scanner, so i may have to draw it free hand on the computer to show you.......

Curtis

i beg you not to...please...just think about the kids

:D

:D