opinions on what how this wood would best be used sought...

so as I'm sitting around waiting for nitro to cure... I'm working a little bit on my next build(s).  tele time!

anywho, I made up this blank intending to use the heartwood side as the side that would face a top on the thinline I'm about to build.  looking at the heartwood - I really would hate to waste it by covering it with a top.  was planning on a butterscotch blonde tele with no top anyway but am unsure how such an uneven piece would work in that application. 

On the one hand, the mohawk nitro I have used on my current blonde does seem like it would even things out quite a bit.  also, dark wood grain would likely show through such an opaque finish well esp after some grainfill.  on the other, I think I'd end up losing the part I like anyway... and am beginning to think perhaps I shouldn't use it for that?  Have posted this somewhere else too, but hoped to get some more feedback on it.  what say you? 

should I use this piece for butterscotch blonde or should I cut another piece more similar to the plain side for that?

heartwood side:

DSCN2834.thumb.JPG.01b60dbc1db069e878069b0f5207dd5f.JPG

plain side:DSCN2835.thumb.JPG.af0a126ae3df055841bccac60d1b2f02.JPG

On the plain side the seam is barely visible at the lower bout, by the waist and the upper bout it would be hidden under the pickup cover. The heartwood side has more character but the grain direction change at the seam is more visible. Not badly, though, I've seen worse factory built ones. A burst would hide most of what could be seen outside the ashtray.

As I'm a no-pickguard guy, the possibilities using one for hiding any misalignments didn't pop into my mind at the first glance.

32 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

On the plain side the seam is barely visible at the lower bout, by the waist and the upper bout it would be hidden under the pickup cover. The heartwood side has more character but the grain direction change at the seam is more visible. Not badly, though, I've seen worse factory built ones. A burst would hide most of what could be seen outside the ashtray.

As I'm a no-pickguard guy, the possibilities using one for hiding any misalignments didn't pop into my mind at the first glance.

thanks for reply.

I'm not really concerned about the actual join... once the opaque finish is on... I think it would hide it well.  I was more concerned about the heartwood on either side showing up after getting a finish, and being a visible contrast to the center lighter wood. 

afa pickguard... well this would be a broadcaster/black-guard type so... you'd really only be able to see the last 4 inches.  Just not sure if it's a bad idea to use contrasted wood like that. 

anywho, i appreciate the input.  I'm going to join up another piece next and perhaps when I see that one it'll change my direction.

Heh... I just have been raised to love wood with contrast and figuration. Here in Finland wood is widely used visible both in public and private spaces. Way back when I was a kid we used to spend all summer long at our cottage where I had the upper bed bunk very close to the pine ceiling. I still can see birds, puppies and funny faces around the knots, and they change place and appearance each time. Figured wood is an endless source of fading images, better than the TV.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ScottR said:

If your finish is truly opaque, I would not worry at all about using the heartwood. If you are worried about opacity, use a pale grey or white primer under the finish color..

No sweat.

SR

thanks scott I really appreciate it.  I plan to use mohawk toner blonde which I suspect will be a lot like the champagne frost I'm currently using but more yellow.  with a thin coat it is pretty opaque and I plan to do a little thicker for an aged broadcaster look. 

I'm pretty well convinced at this point that it will be fine but you never know so it's good to get some general feedback from the experts!  thank you all for that!

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

def improved my join I think... is it easy for anyone to spot it?

It was quite challenging but knowing there must be one I found it.

17 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

It was quite challenging but knowing there must be one I found it.

I have some pics with the line pointed out via photoshop... but was interested in seeing if anyone could find it before I post them...

there IS  a telltale mark that I know to look for, sort of a "if it's there you know that's the split"... just curious if you see that.  Can you describe where you see it?

The grain starting at the outer part of the cutaway vanishes a couple of inches before the lower bout ends. After finding that it was obvious that there's also a minor discontinuity right at the cutaway end of the blank, outside of the drawing.

The issue on the left is where the grain on the upper piece goes slightly up to the left and reveals a hint of the next growth ring, while the grain on the lower part continues straight or even goes a tad downwards. Anyhow, it looks like the fast growth area widens to the left end there. It's very subtle but it's there. BTW very nice work!

mikev4.JPG.3b0387e5d60f6be2b8e1938da6dbe199.JPG

Edited by Bizman62

I think I'm using this for the back of one... and it will be black stain... so it probably doesn't matter anyway... but yeah, I think your right side arrow is pointing right at the grain I was looking at.  it tapers out about 2" from the edge.  I think I see what you mean on the left... the lighter grain of the top piece stops abruptly.

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I was looking in the middle.....never saw a thing.

SR

thank you for the feedback.  I'm fairly happy with it.  Did you see those X in the grain?  kind of faint... but it looks like chain link fence.

12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

thank you for the feedback.  I'm fairly happy with it.  Did you see those X in the grain?  kind of faint... but it looks like chain link fence.

Now that you mention it....

I'm beginning to believe this is somewhat common to ash.

SR

15 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Now that you mention it....

I'm beginning to believe this is somewhat common to ash.

SR

I've seen it a few times around here for sure.  kind of something to watch out for if you are trying to do a finished side.  then again, it's pretty in its own way.

11 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I've seen it a few times around here for sure.  kind of something to watch out for if you are trying to do a finished side.  then again, it's pretty in its own way.

I'm starting to think of it as a desirable feature, like finding an orange streak in black limba.

SR

in my case... I don't think it's consistent enough to really qualify as 'desireable'... but it's close.   I could def see finding a piece with some more of it and liking it for a front.  def pretty for a back.  will have to take a look at the rest of my stock of it and see if there are any more spots (the first blank had none).