First Act Acoustic Repair

Hello, everyone. It has been a while since I was here. I haven't had any time to work on anything since my accident in April, with recovery, work and announcing for my daughter's swim team. A friend of mine came to me with her 5 year old daughter's guitar. They got it for 5 bucks at a yard sale and she would play it daily. It fell off her bed and the neck snapped off. I thought it was going to be a quick fix, but not to be. The fretboard was coming off, and the tuning pegs were missing some screws. To me, the biggest issue is that the fret at the break is missing. I will have fun working on this (no power tools needed...)

20190630_134848.jpg

20190630_134913.jpg

20190630_134928.jpg

Now that's peculiar! To me it looks like there's no end grain in the heel, instead it looks like end grain under the fretboard! How has that neck been built, I can't believe the grain would be that way all the length?!?

How about using a step bolt (had to look at the dictionary, I mean the one with a round head with no groove and a square tenon) for securing the neck? That would look decent even without hiding and tightening the nut afterwards would be easy from the inside.

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Now that's peculiar! To me it looks like there's no end grain in the heel, instead it looks like end grain under the fretboard! How has that neck been built, I can't believe the grain would be that way all the length?!?

How about using a step bolt (had to look at the dictionary, I mean the one with a round head with no groove and a square tenon) for securing the neck? That would look decent even without hiding and tightening the nut afterwards would be easy from the inside.

I will definitely look into that. To be honest, I never heard of one. Thanks for the information!

Heh, it goes to show a beloved child has many names. Funny thing is, a google image search shows similar images to the one above for all three words as it partially did for the fourth one I found, but depending on the source there's huge differences like described here: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/p/130-what-is-the-difference-between-carriage-bolts-and-coach-bolts

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, Swim league is FINALLY done! Daughter swam her heart out and did well this year. Maybe I can get more shop time, now.

I drilled through the heel of the neck, then through the body. I tried to fond a carriage bolt thin enough and long enough, but could not, at least not around the area (especially with the limited time I've had). I did find a regular bolt to fit. This is the neck glued up and clamped. I will add the nuts to the bolt and tighten it to help secure it. Actually, I will need my daughter's assistance - my hand will not fit in the sound hole.

20190722_201318 (1).jpg

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 4:06 AM, Chuck_Chill-Out said:

Actually, I will need my daughter's assistance - my hand will not fit in the sound hole.

Lucky you! My daughters are ham fisted just like their dad. When they were small enough for such jobs their fine motor skills wouldn't have been up to the task...