External acoustic / hybrid Eq/preamp/mixer

mrcashback

Just got a new gigging acoustic (cole clarke angel), but immediateley noticed what I'm missing from my old gig axe, a crafter SA (similar to the more popular taylor T5), in that it has tge ability to switch and blend peizo and electromagnetic pickups which was great for looping.

so, I have orded a soundhole humbucker to put in it, an "a little thunder" which has a 6 string output. and an octaver bass only output.

rather than start hacking into my new guitar, I'm opting for external mixing/eq, BUT, I use wireless most of the time, so I need a passive bodypack mixer before my wireless....

I've accepted it will need to be a custom build, BUT, on the off chance anyone is aware of a commercially available product please let me know (likewise, if you've seen a gold/brass locking strap solution for a locking strap with trs jack passthrough, like the acoustilok by music nomad, im struggling to find that in the right colour too).

anyway, failing that, onto building a belt pack... having never done such a thing im after any tips you can offer.

particularly- clip & housing, wtf do I use?

knobs, potentiometers, faders, what is and isnt workable for me?

im thinking 2 in one knobs would be perfect for eq controls for bass and 6string humbucker output so i have full eq control over that, but, I need small to make surenit all fits in a tiny gousing, what would you suggest, and what other electronics will i require to get good tone control from said knobs

ill be wanting 3x channels in, (acoustic, bass, electric) & 3x channels out,.

channel 1 out, ive decided a 5 way toggle to switch from acoustic only, electric only, acoustic + bass, electric + bass, acoustic + electric with 3x level controls (one for each of the input channels) and an output channel mute/off toggle

channel 2 out will be dedicated bass with a volume attenuator and a mute toggle.

channel 3 out will be the same as channel 1

this gives me the option to route acoustic to an aux input on my looper while sending the electric through my fx chain, but being able to switch it up if needed, and being able to run a single output mode before my wireless with the choice of one or all signals.

I toyed with the idea of crossfaders, but have since decided it will be more limiting as i would have to chose between fixed contour profiles and some situations i may want addition of humbucker without losing the acoustic , and a linear fade in other situations, so individual voluumes it is...

im mostly handy with a soldering iron (albeit pretty sloppy and messy with my fit n finish, hence the desire to not butcher the guitar), Where do i get parts, and what do i actually require to make life easy as possible?

5 hours ago, mrcashback said:

BUT, I use wireless most of the time, so I need a passive bodypack mixer before my wireless....

ill be wanting 3x channels in, (acoustic, bass, electric) & 3x channels out,.

channel 1 out, ive decided a 5 way toggle to switch from acoustic only, electric only, acoustic + bass, electric + bass, acoustic + electric with 3x level controls (one for each of the input channels) and an output channel mute/off toggle

channel 2 out will be dedicated bass with a volume attenuator and a mute toggle.

channel 3 out will be the same as channel 1

You want all that on a belt pack before going wireless? That's one hell of a set up. As a DIY project that sounds more like you'd need a backpack to fit it all in.

What about a non-DIY option and running it through a small mixer? You could make up a single multicore cable that accepts all three pickup signals at the guitar end and splits them into separate connectors at the mixer end. That'd save you having three separate cable runs out of the guitar. The mixer could even be positioned on a stand at a convenient height to make quick adjustments on the fly. It'd also take care of individual level, EQ, switching options and multiple separate outputs to different destinations.

its not as much as it sounds, small & suitable potentiometers is my biggest hurdle (especially given that what I actually want is something that gives me location feedback, lick a click, or center locator.

multicore is no problem as one jack outvybe guitar would be a trs with 2 signals on one anyway, and letting the mixer handle it is fine when im cabled, but not so fine when im wireless.... sometimes ill just use 2x wireless bodypacks, but i want the option to just use 1x...

imagine having to do gigs without volume , tone knobs, or pickup selectors on your guitar, and then you will understand why I need that in my bodypack...

ultimateley im just needing a passive 3chan belt pack mixer in a convenient layout I guess, but, they dontvseem to make them.

I did find a 2 chan external preamp, which was sold as part of a pickup combo, and  that was the closest i got