Relic Strat project

Ace

For my second parts-o-mumbo-jumbo I have decided giving that cream white strat body that I have a shot.

kit.jpg

In the next picture you can see that among some other traces, it has a burn mark right where the output jack on a different kind of guitar would go

burrn.jpg

Because of that and because it's a crappy plywood body anyways, I thought I'd put it through the paces and go for a relic. Here are the tools I've used so far:

tools.jpg

I used 80 and 180 grit dry sand paper for getting rid of that appaling shine of the lacquer :D I roughed up some spots with my cheapo dremel copy for a "wear-thru" effect and threw in a few hits with the flat head screwdriver for good measure. I had no cigarettes handy so I didn't place another burn mark on the body this time 'round but I only started...

frontal.jpg

underside.jpg

backside.jpg

horny.jpg

so long

ace

Thanks Aaron, well it was a crap body to start with so that makes work easier I guess *lol*.

My main concern is indeed realism, so I want to have it worn mainly in those places where wear normally occurs, then again when I think of Rory Gallagher's guitar, that's about everywhere on the body :D

so long

ace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres an idea. Shoot the guitar once with a big revolver, or high powered rifle. Then make up a story that the guitar was your father's when he was young, and the guitar stopped the bullet, and saved his life. So he's had it for 30 years through thick and thin, and thats why it's so messed up.

That would be cool!

"Mein Mutter ist Mein Vater!"

-John

Don't ask me where, but somewhere I've read a story of a guitar tech who got a camo painted guitar from a kid with a request to make it look like it'd been shot...so he took it out to the range and gave it a bullseye with his .357...apparrently the kid freaked out with joy when he saw it. Trouble is, in Germany we have quite strict weapons laws so all I could legally do to it would be shooting it with a bb gun...likely that the richocheting pellet would cost me an eye. If I shot it with a real caliber, it would surely make a nice hole, thus rendering the "it stopped the bullet" story impossible, so I think I'll skip that one or at least save it for a later project.

I need to refit the neck and solder the electronics to the jack so I should be able to get it done some time this week I hope.

so long

ace

You could try holding the body in a playing-type position and drop it as if your strap broke. Some older guitar are stcratched to hell on the back from 'belt-buckle rash'. When i had a small room, i used to turn around all the time forgetting i was wearing the guitar and knock it against the wall/desk/door.

They're not very rock 'n roll, but these might simulate more of a relic!

I seen a bass on eBay that had been shot in the neck. It had a whole right on the edge. It hit right on a fret, and blew it off. I can't remember what gun was used, but no body bidded on it. The picture of it was right outside on his patio....if that's where it was when it was shot, it got really close to his house.

The drummer in my brother's band brought his dad's late 70s early 80s Fender start. My brother had his old bass and they were doing that 'throw it over your shoulder' thing. My brother had strap locks, but the strat didn't...the strap let loose and it went flying across the room. It split in two right down the middle. My brother tried glueing it back together, but the crack is obvious. I bought 5 guitars off eBay to practing refinishing them. I sold one for $15 more than I paid for it to him to replace the start. It was a pressboard Karera. Like that's going to look and feel just like a start. I still have the cracked Fender body. I'm going to relic it. I like the big crack in the middle, but then again, I got the body for free.