Jump to content

Entry for September 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

Recommended Posts

So I couldn't pass up a deal on some ziricote.  I'll post pictures when it comes in.  The pickup setup will be based on Pete Townshends customized Gibson Les Paul Deluxe setup.  I think I'm going to make this guy 25" scale as well. 

It won't have an accent binding.  Maybe no binding.  Instead I'm going to put some gold purfling further in the body to stand out against the wood.

Pretty sure I'm going to do a neck-through and I'm not sure for the body wings or the fretboard. Going to go with the same pickguard from the Osprey too.   Not sure on the wood combo there either.  Guess I'm pretty fresh into this one.  I'll be startng this as I finish up the Osprey.

image.thumb.png.66b65a3c039c9b301f8d8da47b854aef.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks like an interesting project, thru neck and all that jazz! The body looks both traditional and original at the same time, and comfortable as well.

What caught my eye is the high e side of the headstock. Are you sure the bulge doesn't get in the way in some open chords like D7, even more so if you use a movable fingering omitting your index finger?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

That looks like an interesting project, thru neck and all that jazz! The body looks both traditional and original at the same time, and comfortable as well.

What caught my eye is the high e side of the headstock. Are you sure the bulge doesn't get in the way in some open chords like D7, even more so if you use a movable fingering omitting your index finger?

 

 

I didn't think about that.  That's a really good point.  This is why I post things on here :)  I'm definitely going for the "classically trained to rock" theme, lol.  When I first designed the body I was thinking something elegant but it turned into this monster.  I was reading a book on making a cellos and also saw a guitar with a real long lower horn on google.  I just kind of merged both those ideas and added some aggressive curves.

  Any more ideas or conflicts you guys see please let me know!  Thanks Bizman62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome, reminds me of the single-cut parker fly. Are you carving the ziricote? I'm looking forward to watching someone else suffer with it 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Looks awesome, reminds me of the single-cut parker fly. Are you carving the ziricote? I'm looking forward to watching someone else suffer with it 😂

Yes I am.  Couldn't help but try after your last one.  I guess carved ziricote is contagious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

Yes I am.  Couldn't help but try after your last one.  I guess carved ziricote is contagious 

without running the risk of telling people how to build their guitars - Next time I carve Ziricote, I'll use an angle grinder because it's the wood equivalent of granite and merciless when carving against the grain 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha.  That sounds terrible.  I was hoping there would be some type of consistency regardless of the direction since it is so dense.   That doesnt sound like the case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the body shape... reminds me of the neal schon jackson which i always loved.  I am not crazy about the headstock... just don't feel like it matches the beauty of the rest of the design.  Just one a-holes opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah there's no bad opinions.  I appreciate the perspective.   I do need to change the headstock anyway for hand ergonomics like Bizman was talking about.  I'd like it to match the body better as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

Ah there's no bad opinions.  I appreciate the perspective.   I do need to change the headstock anyway for hand ergonomics like Bizman was talking about.  I'd like it to match the body better as well.

right on... can't wait to see what you come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few ideas for the headstock.  Trying to keep that elegant feel.  Feel like Ive been staring at it too long.  what you guys think?

1. Kinda going with the body circular shape and the lower horn end.

image.thumb.png.36dec659be709583dbf016995f872c57.png

1.5.  Added a bigger "bulb" like area maybe for an inlay or something?  

image.thumb.png.2f124ae9cdd60c0602da537fe9ddbd1b.png

2. More sleek.  Using the lower horn as the direction there.

image.png.db6e282f76288f03c23cd06830356fa6.png

3.  A softer concept of the above two

image.png.f69aae21643de6c08be1fed66d038b40.png

 

Just continuing to play around with the shape

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 is my favourite, #2 being a close runner-up. #1.5 and #3 are too bulky to my taste.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe try elongating the "snout" of the headstock on #1 a tad to mirror the lower horn? #3 looks good too

Edit: or maybe just hit the straight run sooner on the b tuner like on #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking another look at her, I just noticed that the very tip of the headstock is different in #2 than in # 1 and 1.5. To me the little notch in #1 is the most appealing detail. And yet, the more I look at them the more I start to see a funny caricature nose in each one! That will most likely change with colours, though. Plain lines can

Another thing that caught my eye is that most elements in your design give me an impression of zooming or vaulting towards something in front of the headstock - the inlay has a wave rolling that direction, the headstock and horn feature an arc like the leap of an attacking feline and even your signature logo is speedy. The bottom of the body seems like holding the leap back. Have you ever thought about slanting the bottom, either because of ergonomics or just looks? All that said, I very much like the tranquil feeling the symmetry creates at the bottom. Slanting would require redesigning even the placing of the string ferrules.

Designing a good looking guitar is a very delicate art, thank you for feeding our imagination with your ideas!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

version #3 gets my vote. Really nice design, the only thing that I would change if it was my design is the top horn, I would round it over a bit more to prevent it digging in to my chest whilst playing sat down.

Edit, when I say #3, I mean the third one down, your number 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Taking another look at her, I just noticed that the very tip of the headstock is different in #2 than in # 1 and 1.5. To me the little notch in #1 is the most appealing detail. And yet, the more I look at them the more I start to see a funny caricature nose in each one! That will most likely change with colours, though. Plain lines can

Another thing that caught my eye is that most elements in your design give me an impression of zooming or vaulting towards something in front of the headstock - the inlay has a wave rolling that direction, the headstock and horn feature an arc like the leap of an attacking feline and even your signature logo is speedy. The bottom of the body seems like holding the leap back. Have you ever thought about slanting the bottom, either because of ergonomics or just looks? All that said, I very much like the tranquil feeling the symmetry creates at the bottom. Slanting would require redesigning even the placing of the string ferrules.

Designing a good looking guitar is a very delicate art, thank you for feeding our imagination with your ideas!

Thanks Bizman. Your really observant.  That slight angle in one direction or another is a design element I read from books.  Its all subjective but supposedly most people are drawn to subtle shapes in between acute and parabolic shapes.  The body points of the horns and back define that "direction" feel.  I typically always start my designs with something like the below image and choose one I'm going to start with.  Otherwise I subconsciously corn hole myself with one.  This design was really difficult for me to stick with because I tend to go for the angled ones.  I think what you identified was that subconscious wanting to break out  there. :)  Thank you guys for your opinions.  

I'm settling on 1 or 2.  You don't know how long I played with that little are your talking about, lol.  

image.png

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the hashtags! Never thought about starting with a skeleton but now after seeing those it would be an obvious starting point You don't have the one I was thinking about, though: /-|-

If you take a look a Crimson guitars, they often have the back slanted that way, on some models even the entire body like your uppermost hashtag. The reason they do it is that it both moves the balance point towards the neck a little and adds comfort to the strumming arm similarly to the forearm cut of a Strat.

Like this, (sorry for ruining your drawing)

slant.JPG.c93a5727002f6fb84d58932a47023b22.JPG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where do you get such woods?

The closest timberyard for exotic/guitar woods is some 350 km away and for what I've seen bought there has been rough sawn dusty blanks so dirty that even our experienced Master can't see all the potential flaws. As an example, he once bought a piece of flamed maple thick enough for two bookmatched tops. There was a big knot sideways right in the middle of the other half, allowing only one top to be made.

I'm envious! I'd like to pop into some wood shop every now and then just for drooling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, actually it wasn't that bad.  I live in Texas and ziricote is sourced just to south of me.  got it from savagewoods.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...