Having a go at my own build series

6 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Was it just the music that was a bit loud?

I tried to listen carefully and I'd say that the balance was about right at least concerning your mumbling and the music. The tool noise was actually even on the low side which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it mostly serves for immersion more than being neither informal nor entertaining.

The lapel mic was worth whatever you paid for it! I couldn't see your lips moving, yet the mumbling came through my phones as if you were within my social distance - too intimate to tolerate if you were murmuring in my ear that close in real life but very clear and pleasant to listen to with the headphones. Actually it almost sounded like a voice-over!

But yes, when I tried to analyse the volume, both the music and your speaking were a tad above what I've learned to consider as "normal" or "average" volume level. If you're struggling with getting it right, lowering just the music might have more of an effect as the frequency spectrum is much wider. As your voice isn't harsh or sharp or grating, it's better to have it a bit too audible than muffle it.

I'll start with the usual sound talk. I'd say you got it about right this time. Clear speech, noticeable but not harsh tool noise and bold yet gentle outro. To be honest I lowered my Windows volume from 30 to 25% which actually is what I've been using for videos, 30% having been used for game speech. I also noticed that at least the speech volume of @Urumiko is quite similar to yours. Anyhow, well done!

To me using a razor saw rather than a marking knife seems odd. Leaning against the edge of the protractor has that triple insured feel...

Thanks for the tip of cutting the edges first! I've done that when scraping but obviously it works as well or even better for sawing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I'll start with the usual sound talk. I'd say you got it about right this time. Clear speech, noticeable but not harsh tool noise and bold yet gentle outro. To be honest I lowered my Windows volume from 30 to 25% which actually is what I've been using for videos, 30% having been used for game speech. I also noticed that at least the speech volume of @Urumiko is quite similar to yours. Anyhow, well done!

To me using a razor saw rather than a marking knife seems odd. Leaning against the edge of the protractor has that triple insured feel...

Thanks for the tip of cutting the edges first! I've done that when scraping but obviously it works as well or even better for sawing.

I really like using the razor saw, it's so fine that it cuts into really hard woods like ebony quite quickly, so I find it's much quicker than just marking the slots and going at it with the fretsaw.

Hey all,

Not got round to ash's latest vid yet as im playing catchup on my watch list.

If it helps at all, I used to normalise the vocals which took them down to a pretty low volume.
I was then gain staging them with compressor plugins .. Waves L2 etc.. I'd then have a limiter on the master track set at 3db short of maximum.

Now i find I have the internal limiting set on my Zoom recorder, and i run it near max gain, so that tends to compress the vocals to about where they need to be anyway without needing further processing, I do apply the "podcast voice" eq still but i'm considering stopping that as it can sound too boomey on some playback devices.

I think the key still is though that i use one of the waves maximiser plugins to limit near max vol, push the vocals till its lightly kissing them. Then set the music volume by ear.

Edited by Urumiko

This morning I had a slightly longer trip so I listened to the car radio. They played an elderly song with humorous lyrics. There was no issues in hearing and understanding the foreign language despite a big band taking care of the accompaniment. That led me to think about these videos of a tutorial nature. The speech has to be in the main role, music and tool noise only adding to the immersion. The songs of the swing era are perfect examples of how to mix the words audible yet maintaining the musical aspects of the band.

You certainly have what it takes to make tutorial videos!

Substituting the filing hiss of the inlay pieces with a longish musical piece indicated perfectly the time needed for such fine job. This time the volumes were again pretty nicely balanced. The music wasn't too loud for my sensitive(ish) ears.

Cutting the inlays with the band saw raised a couple of questions. First, how fine was the blade? And second, do you think that could be done with a laser cutter? The small ones seem to be very inexpensive second hand.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:03 PM, ADFinlayson said:

Thanks @Bizman62 It's a 1/4" blade, I had a look at laser cutters a while back, the ones I saw that weren't crazy money stated that they wouldn't cut shell. I guess a scroll saw could also work well but the blade is going up and down like a hand saw.

I found my scroll saw quite unsuitable for inlays.  I found the back stroke far too harsh for such small pieces which ended up stuck to the blade and reciprocating with it even with ultrafine blades!

11 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I found my scroll saw quite unsuitable for inlays.  I found the back stroke far too harsh for such small pieces which ended up stuck to the blade and reciprocating with it even with ultrafine blades!

That's good to know, you have confirmed my suspicion that I don't currently have a lot of use for a scroll saw :D 

I've finished fretting the two, used nickel silver wire on the ebony and stainless steel on the rosewood. Rosewood was a real pita, glad I ran out of fret wire :D 

• Like 1

The feeler gauge trick is nice for those of us whose eagle eye days are long gone. Thanks!

Also good info about the stainless steel frets being fiddlier to tidy up with a rolled piece of sandpaper.

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

lotta disparate builds going on there.  I felt like 3 was a bit too much for me on this last run... can't imagine.  cudos.

yeah that's true, but these are the one 2 that I'm building at the same time, the others are separate projects and I work on one until I get a bit meh with it, then work on something else.

7 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

yeah that's true, but these are the one 2 that I'm building at the same time, the others are separate projects and I work on one until I get a bit meh with it, then work on something else.

nothing wrong w that. 

A couple of hints that popped into my mind.

The first one is just for helping you to better illustrate the minuscule gaps under the straightedge: Simply slide a piece of paper into the gap and move it sideways to show where it sticks i.e. where the gap ends. Much clearer and easier to do than trying to focus into the gap!

The second one is for accuracy of the jack hole. Why not measure the location before rounding over? Wouldn't it be much easier to find the centerpoint between two sharp edges than two round ones?

Yeah, I was filming in a bit of a rush to be honest, just wanted to get a video done as it's been months since I worked on them.

5 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The second one is for accuracy of the jack hole. Why not measure the location before rounding over? Wouldn't it be much easier to find the centerpoint between two sharp edges than two round ones?

I wondered how long it would take someone to pick up on that. the centre point was accurate, so was the pilot hole I drilled (that I didn't bother including) but somehow the spade bit managed to work it's way 2mm off centre. Not too worried though because it would be covered by a jack plate anyway. 

• Haha 1